Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 4 officially announced

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is fondly remembered by DBZ fans as one of the best Dragon Ball games of all time. Knowing that, Bandai Namco has decided to, after 15 years, make a sequel to it. Occurring right at the tail end of the Dragon Ball FighterZ World Tour Finals, a trailer aired (around the 41-minute mark), featuring gameplay from Tenkaichi 3 being played on a CRT. It showed Goku's animation of going Super Saiyan in the game, before transitioning into the same scene with brand new visuals, and Goku instead turning Super Saiyan Blue, ending with, "A New Budokai Tenkaichi Begins!" The announcer then states that this will be a sequel to Tenkaichi, or as it's known in Japan, Sparking! 3

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raging Blast 1 claimed it was "The Next Level Tenkaichi" and those games were more or less part of the Tenkaichi series with better graphics, but less characters to play with.

Tenkaichi "verse" games Bandai Namco released so far:

Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 1
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 2
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 1
Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Blast (more of a QTE game than actual gameplay)
J-Stars Victory VS+
Jump Force
And finally... Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 4

Looking at the trailer, it looks like Jump Force, except it'll have Dragon Ball characters exclusively which would make sense. I enjoyed Jump Force personally as I'm a fan of Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and One Piece, but god damn the ultimates got rapidly annoying and repetitive.

Moreover, I'm surprised they kept "Budokai" since they dropped it for Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team. Well, whatever, yay, they announced a new Tenkaichi. Not as if we didn't have plenty before.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes!

Have good memories of me playing Budokai Tenkaichi 2 in a friend's apartment when we were like 13 years or so.

Every friday, me and a bunch more (of 7 or so dudes) would go over this one guy's house and beat each other's asses in BT2, Medal of Honor and Saint Seiya while eating junk food and drinking soda.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is admittedly, better.
Can't wait to see what they'll bring with Budokai Tenkaichi 4!
Perhaps they'll launch it alongside the new DBZ season? DLC as show progress?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how this will compare to DBZ: Kakarot. But we shall see.
The gameplay of that game was like a 1-2 button. Kinda bored me instantly.

However, the DBZ music from the series was awesome.

Post automatically merged:

Perhaps they'll launch it alongside the new DBZ season? DLC as show progress?
What new DBZ season?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume he means Dragon Ball Super, but I don't think there's any confirmed date for a next season yet.
That show was so bad I gave up after episode 30ish. lol

I did enjoy the Dr. Slump crossover episode, the Super Broly movie, and the recent movie (Super Hero). Battle of Gods and Resurrection F should have been branded DBS movies because they have nothing to do with DBZ.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Early on it definitely kind of dragged and was slow to get to the exciting stuff, but the same could be said of a lot of DBZ episodes. It eventually pays off, and a lot of the new characters are great, particularly Beerus and Jiren.

Reactions: ChaosEternal

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Massive hype. Its about time!
I had to compose myself when I saw this news post. I watched the trailer, walked around for a minute, and now I can express my thoughts in a calm, cool, and collected manner. Ergo:

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT YEAHHHHHHHHH WOOOOOOOOOOO LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am rather pleased by this announcement.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Early on it definitely kind of dragged and was slow to get to the exciting stuff, but the same could be said of a lot of DBZ episodes. It eventually pays off, and a lot of the new characters are great, particularly Beerus and Jiren.
Guess I'd eventually like Jiren (not a fan of his design or the ears which are identical to Freeza's and Boo's).

Beerus? Nope. Never found that character interesting. I suppose it was an excuse for Toriyama Akira to include a cat character.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not been this happy after a game announcement in years.

I had to look around for a while to confirm that it was actually real. I couldn't let my hopes get up.

episode 30 of dragon ball super is barely after the awful movie remakes
give it another chance, there's some amazing stuff in the universe 6 tournament arc onward

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not been this happy after a game announcement in years.

I had to look around for a while to confirm that it was actually real. I couldn't let my hopes get up.

episode 30 of dragon ball super is barely after the awful movie remakes
give it another chance, there's some amazing stuff in the universe 6 tournament arc onward
I tried the rest, didn't really like the rest either. DBS feels like it was made for the new generation.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fuck Xenoverse Kakarot and FighterZ and all these shit games since BT, let's bring back this masterpiece with a new game

1678067090-4kzhv3-copie.png

Reactions: CrazySquid

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fuck Xenoverse Kakarot and FighterZ and all these shit games since BT, let's bring back this masterpiece with a new game

View attachment 357335
Not to be a fly in your soup, but just keep in mind that BT4 will likely be monetized in the exact same way all of those other games have been. Tons of DLC characters (mostly Gokus) and multiple season passes.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 357335
Masterpiece? 😆 Tenkaichi 3 had 150 characters, but most of them were clones and the gameplay was repetitive.

That being said, it's a fun game for a button-masher.

Reactions: ganons and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...