Homebrew doom

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither the Doom 1 Shareware or Doom 1 Full wad work for me. They both give me an Iwad Tag error. Doom2 Plutonia and TNT all work though. Any advice?
Doom 1 works fine for me. Do you have any mods specified in the menu? You could try deleting the prboom.cfg file and seeing if that helps. You could also try copying the wad files again. Is it possible that your wad files have been modified for more advanced doom ports for the pc?

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doom1 Shareware is just the plain old v1.9 Ultimate Doom.. funny thing is on the version on GitHub none of my wads work! Yet on an older version all of them work. On the version you posted Doom 2, Plutonia, and TNT (played through it last night) work just fine. It's very confusing, I've tried redownloaded the wads of Steam and even tried U Doom 1.666

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doom1 Shareware is just the plain old v1.9 Ultimate Doom.. funny thing is on the version on GitHub none of my wads work! Yet on an older version all of them work. On the version you posted Doom 2, Plutonia, and TNT (played through it last night) work just fine. It's very confusing, I've tried redownloaded the wads of Steam and even tried U Doom 1.666
I have only every put versions on git. Not sure what you mean by the version I posted vs the version on git. https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds Has the latest 3dsx file. If you are using cia or 3ds you would need to build from source as I have not updated them recently.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have only every put versions on git. Not sure what you mean by the version I posted vs the version on git. https://github.com/elhobbs/prboom3ds Has the latest 3dsx file. If you are using cia or 3ds you would need to build from source as I have not updated them recently.
It's an earlier release from a couple of months ago that was linked to in this thread.. Even if I delete the prboom.cfg or use a different one it doesn't seem to work for some reason. I'm using CIA so maybe that's the issue? I'm not sure. I'll keep fiddling with it until I get it to work. It works fine on my o3DS however, it's only on my n3DS i'm having issues.

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an earlier release from a couple of months ago that was linked to in this thread.. Even if I delete the prboom.cfg or use a different one it doesn't seem to work for some reason. I'm using CIA so maybe that's the issue? I'm not sure. I'll keep fiddling with it until I get it to work. It works fine on my o3DS however, it's only on my n3DS i'm having issues.
The cia version is out of date. It should build from source fine though.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@elhobbs: It looks like it's possible to use the N3DS controls in GW mode/CFWs now, just add ir:rst to the list of services in the RSF file for the CIA (according to @Steveice10 this will make the CIA unable to launch below 8.x due to lower firmwares not having ir:rst, but I would imagine most CIA users at this point are on 8.x or above) and recompile with the latest ctrulib (I'm not sure if an updated makerom is needed either, but it probably couldn't hurt). I didn't have to make any source code modifications to get it working with Doom. :)

I'll also provide a copy of the CIA I compiled here, so N3DS users who would like this in CIA format with ZL/ZR/C-stick controls, here you go.
The cia version is out of date. It should build from source fine though.
Both compiling it from source, and using the version with N3DS controls posted by Daxtsu produce the same issue. Neither doom.wad or doom1.wad work in either of those versions. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the wads (which work fine on PRboom pc and older versions of this port). And it does seem specific to the n3DS in the lastest versions. Also if i rename chex3.wad to doom1.wad and attempt to use that it no longer works like it has with previous versions. But if I rename it doom2.wad and load it from the loader it works just fine. Same with Ultimate Doom or Doom Shareware. It appears to be specific to wads named doom1.wad and doom.wad. Or those two items on the loader menu.

EDIT: Obviously this isn't a big deal, I can rename the wads when I feel like playing one or the other i'll simply rename it tnt.wad or something. I just know other users may feel your port is incomplete for something so trivial.

Last edited by Rj.MoG,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a weird issue you're having. All I did was grab a prboom wad from the official site (grab the Windows build; it has the wad), drop both it and the Doom 1 shareware wad in the root of the SD card, and away I went. Retail full works fine too..:unsure:

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So come this game can use the 3d slider and other homebrew cant?, is doom that easy to code?
Doom is usually one of the first games ported. So yes it probably safe to say it is easy to port. The 3D slider requires generating two images - one for each eye. So the difficulty level is different for each game. It was not difficult to add a hacked version for doom. The current implementation has a lot of room for improvement.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Here's a custom .smdh I've made. Hope everyone likes it. :nds: :yay:

wT4PmFN.png

Attachments

• prboom3ds.rar
    2.8 KB · Views: 153

blaydes99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been enjoying your port of Doom elhobbs. I'm playing the latest GitHub build that you have posted (as of 10/1/2015) on an N3DS with emunand 9.5 (OFW 9.0). The performance is great and the sound + music is typically good. After playing through Episode 4, I found a few bugs:
-After about 10 minutes of play, the sound begins to crackle and echo. If I quit Doom and reload the app, the issue is gone... for about 10 minutes. :) If I continue playing while it crackles/echos, it continues to get worse and eventually locks up.
-The Spider Mastermind on E4M8 hard locks the game/N3DS every time I approach in the final room.

Last edited by blaydes99,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been enjoying your port of Doom elhobbs. I'm playing the latest GitHub build that you have posted (as of 10/1/2015) on an N3DS with emunand 9.5 (OFW 9.0). The performance is great and the sound + music is typically good. After playing through Episode 4, I found a few bugs:
-After about 10 minutes of play, the sound begins to crackle and echo. If I quit Doom and reload the app, the issue is gone... for about 10 minutes. :) If I continue playing while it crackles/echos, it continues to get worse and eventually locks up.
-The Spider Mastermind on E4M8 hard locks the game/N3DS every time I approach in the final room.
I struggled quite a bit trying to get the sound to stay synchronized. Under 4.5 I could query csnd to get the playback position, but that was removed with newer updates. So now I use a timer but it does not work well. Essentially csnd is crap (or possibly I don't know how to use it correctly). I am hoping that the new Dsp code that fincs is working on will be an improvement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof