Dokutsu Monogatari MD (Cave Story for Genesis?)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you read the title, then yes you heard... read it right. Cave story for genesis, and for the rest of the world sega mega drive. If you are not familar with Dokutsu Monogatari which is Literally translated to Cave Story, is a freeware game released in 2004 by studio pixel, I think Is called Daisuke Ayama if i remember, was the single developer for this gem, much like toby fox's undertale game. Despite being released in 2004 where modern tech at the time was PS2/Xbox/Gamecube and such, it uses retro 8 bit style nes like graphics and sound. Is a homage to retro games like Metroid and castlevania which i will obviously now say "Metroidvania" gameplay.

While this a freeware pc game a indie game publishing company known as nicolas has ported to sever systems, the wii on wiishop (NOT WII U ESHOP) the DSI shop Steam computer platform, 3DS ESHOP (the dsi version still exist on 3ds eshop as well as 3DS eshop port,) and even a actual 3DS cart which is much the same game but visually different than the Downloaded versions, it features full rendered 3d characters visuals and enviroments instead of sprites and overlays. The freeware title was not offically localized but there is fan translations and various sites where you can find it. The purchased versions by nicolas featured more content, like easy and hard modes, time attack, minigames and sound test, steam has achiecvements if is your thing and image filters. There even been ports unofficial to other systems, Like PSP If you can run homebrew (E.G. Custom firmware) 3DS, ect. Is also able to be used on retroarch emulators, by downloading the NXengine plugin whatever is called, but that enough about all the ports, now is time for the reason why you probably clicked this post.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).006.png

Welcome to Cave Story, the genesis mega drive port. Is a work in progress as you can see, by the "MEGA DRIVE VERSION 0.1 2016.07" Is a recent port, about 2 months ago, in July. It has Sound test which you can see here. Not bad, allows you to listen to all in game music and sound effects, may i remind you is a genesis port so if you are familiar with the sound quality of the megadrives FM PSG or whatever is called, that Synthisizer, then expect it to be much like it. Me personally is ported well for a genesis game. Below is a NCP test. Supposed to display all sprites and test the animation, sound effects, and other such things. It shows interesting information, such as how much health the enemies have, what type of object is it, how much damage it can inflict on you, is it a collectable and such. Worth looking at. Remember is incomplete so not everything will be there for both menus.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).007.png

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).008.png

You play as the silent protaginst who name is even a mystery much like the girl or boy main player from undertale, and you weild different guns to combat the mosters mutated by evil doctor scientist on a island of creatures known as Mimiga where is some ruins that a umm much like a floating rock, try comparing it much to like sonic has angel island and it floats in mid air.... cause master emerald and knuckles is the guardian. Basically is just about as much comparable story. You are "QUOTE" (According to intel i gathered) Who is trying to save the island from the evil professor... doctor who is trying to awaken the core to cotrol it, along the way he has a few tricks up his sleeve, a witch known as misery, and umm a bar of soap or look more like a cinderblock known as Balrog, for some reason is already a strange name. The doctor and a family of scientist are all on this island, There is Sue sakomoto who was a human girl who was turned into a mimiga, her brother Kazuma, the grand father Professor booster, and their mom, who i forgot her name and the dad, and there is some other mimiga, like King, Tokoro, and Charo, Santa.... for a story about a cave is epic okay?

Anyway after playing some of this, i decided to make some screen shots, I was using a Image filter during the time of screen capture so sorry if is not your thing, for curiosity reasons i used what is called "HQX2" with Linear. Is how i play most of my retro games now. So is just gonna be a few snapshots with comments addressing some issues.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).009.png

So here is the first screen of the game, after the title menu and story. Looks good so far, except is very small. To be honest i noticed this to be maybe a small issue, the genesis original resolution was umm... 240x224 (Someone correct me if i am wrong) But this game seem too be adapted to wide screen the 16:9 Ratio instead of 4:3 or whatever the official original system was. It makes the game a bit confused, while it looks okay in full screen i think the actual programming may be messed with for the graphics being displayed, i may explain more later. Also notice the save point, yes it works, for a demo or WIP It works like it should. Let's go outside the room.​

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).010.png

So far this looks okay, no problems noticed, looks like cave story. Before i go further, i will say it being a genesis game, there is lack of animation in many things over the original, only noticable if you play or saw video at 60FPS, while the game originally and this port runs at Something like 60FPS, is a genesis console so expect those frame drops and lag like when many stuff is on screen at once.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).011.png

Okay, there goes some enemies, bats, and a the first life upgrade, one of the things i noticed is how collecting items or interacting works, i'll show you.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).012.png

Notice in this picture, the character is in the air but aquired the upgrade. Usually to get this you need to be standing in front of it, and press down, he will then look at it by staring into the back ground, just figure i should point it out.... let's move on.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).014.png

To the hermit's room, to collect the polar star gun. Obviously something is wrong, the center, it supposed to have the gun picture like the previous one with the life upgrade, obviously layering problems, characters interfere with this a lot. Sometimes is other things but this is one of the main things. Also notice the text box, at the border on both sides, produces black bars to fil the bottom of the screen even though the text box isn't as big, another issue with overlays and layers. Let's get out of the cave.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).015.png

Outside the "First Cave" We see King and Tokoro, Two local Mimiga in dialoge. We can see some color and background here, looks impressive, again notice the small sprites and the screen format as i metioned earler about the 16:9 wide screen Against the official. Not bad for large monitors. :)

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).017.png

Checking my inventory is obviously something is wrong. Arms is my weapons, and item is my other collectables, well were is the polar star i collected? It should be there, also the dialog is messed up.... "h!" Umm what? Well least i know the key is there. Why does it take up the whole screen? Oh well move on.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).018.png

Here we have a room with the which misery, and the bar of soap, or suitcase, or cinderblock (I dunno what it is) His name is Balrog. The screen shows a bit more outside the room itself than necesary you can see by looking left and right.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).019.png

This is a optional battle against Balrog, you can simply skip it if you select no when he ask if you want to fight. I said yes for the purpose of the demostration. Some details are missing, all bosses should have health bars, but there is none, i foght at least 3 bosses, no bar ever. Also the layering problem again, the player is in front of the enemy, where he should be behind. He Also has a strange problem of looking into the background like he should when pressing down. The number represents total damage dealt to the enemy at one time, Kinda like a combo. Moving on.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).020.png

While not important, i was exploring, another layer problem, character behind back ground objects. I find this funny as if they were trying to hide, but sadly is a bug or glitch in the game, not legit compared to official, they should be in front and visible. :P

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).021.png

Just another example of Layering problems with sprites, textboxes and background objects. :P

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).022.png

Entering the Egg chamber through teleporter, now is a lot to see all at one, Oh another upgrade, a Elephant.... i mean Behemoth according to the NPC test pic, and a robot, and whatever that thing down there is. :unsure:

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).023.png

Okay, one weird thing here. During this scene the moster beats up on sue, but she standing a good distance away, in the official game the characters should be closer together, imagine the confusion when i saw this. The character is supposed to be closer, then after the savage beating, he picks her up and takes her away, walking to the right, instead she disappears (probably cause animations are missing for the full sequence) And he walks right being stuck at invisible wall before the game contines and despawn sprite.

Cave-Story-MD (WIP).024.png

And here is the pause for the sequence when he walks away, stuct at... nothing. This is why i mentioned the wide screen resolution issue earlier, reasons like this. Is obvious the game was designed for 4:3 size so displaying more tend to show some errors.
I have more screen shots but i had intended to keep this short and easy to stomach, so sorry if i messed up. Honestly this is ineresting and impressive, one thing is why port it to genesis/mega drive? Would someone actually consider playing it once completed? I mean i did cause Is cave story... on the genesis. If i had not recoginzed the title or game maybe i would not care but now that this is a thing i want to care and hope it completed. So far there is more to mention but again i wanted it to be short so... Let's see how much of this will continue. :)

Remember, this is a work in progress port that is Public domain as far as i am conserned and not Licensed content so don't worry, i dunno who made this rom but I find it of valued interest. Why Mega drive, why not nes or snes or anything else? I dunno, just have to wait and see.:toot:

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impressive! I'd love to see this finished sometime soon!
Well me too, i dunno who made it or any details, but is impressive. One thing to notice is the music is probably well converted, but regarding the genesis sound system of that PSG, i hope maybe they could rip some of the official music, use the mode one much like pier solar and have a Sega cd PSG audio output for improvement. :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, I'm impressed someone managed to backport a PC game to a 16-bit console. I think I'd rather play the PC or 3DS version, but I might have to check this out just to see how the music sounds compared to the original. Gotta love that Genesis metal sound.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah that's quite an achievement.
Honestly i think there is so many ports of this, i do find it strange to be on a outdated console, but yes is impressive. Just shows how many people like sega mega drive, For some reason, sega games and systems are very popular in brazil according to wikipedia, that sega first console the master system was still being popular, long after is time pass. I wonder why myself. :)

Lemme know when you finish it!
I will get as far as possible, even if i have to cheat lol, is a work in progress and is still has some bugs/glitches, as you can see with the screenshots. I even got a weapon that is broken, it doesn't even work. :P

Gotta love that Genesis metal sound
You know i'm glad there is people who actually like the genesis audio system, most people who had compared it to snes obviously choose it to be better, i mean come on, it has the sony SPC700 chip that makes games like chrono trigger, and final fantasy 6, super mario rpg and dare i remind everyone, SUPER TURRICAN DOLBY SURROUND SOUND? :creep:
Not only that but Super mario games, Donkey kong country, and Zelda, f-zero, and starfox, and metroid. But seriously Sega has good music, when composed right, i mean streets of rage, Sonic games, Wonder boy in monster world, Monster world IV, Castlevania, the treasure games, gunstar heores, dynamite headdy and Alien soldier. I mean trust me, some games actually can sound interesting when converted to Genesis. Try a few sonic hacks, they have all sorts of conversion music, Even mega man x, is dope.

Ever wondered what metroid music sounds like on the megadriver PSG? :rolleyes:

Reactions: VinsCool

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly i think there is so many ports of this, i do find it strange to be on a outdated console, but yes is impressive. Just shows how many people like sega mega drive, For some reason, sega games and systems are very popular in brazil according to wikipedia, that sega first console the master system was still being popular, long after is time pass. I wonder why myself. :)

I will get as far as possible, even if i have to cheat lol, is a work in progress and is still has some bugs/glitches, as you can see with the screenshots. I even got a weapon that is broken, it doesn't even work. :P

You know i'm glad there is people who actually like the genesis audio system, most people who had compared it to snes obviously choose it to be better, i mean come on, it has the sony SPC700 chip that makes games like chrono trigger, and final fantasy 6, super mario rpg and dare i remind everyone, SUPER TURRICAN DOLBY SURROUND SOUND? :creep:
Not only that but Super mario games, Donkey kong country, and Zelda, f-zero, and starfox, and metroid. But seriously Sega has good music, when composed right, i mean streets of rage, Sonic games, Wonder boy in monster world, Monster world IV, Castlevania, the treasure games, gunstar heores, dynamite headdy and Alien soldier. I mean trust me, some games actually can sound interesting when converted to Genesis. Try a few sonic hacks, they have all sorts of conversion music, Even mega man x, is dope.

Ever wondered what metroid music sounds like on the megadriver PSG? :rolleyes:

The way I feel about the Genesis sound is that it suits some games very well whereas others don't work as well with it. The SPC700 is more capable, and sounds great in many games, but it's just not capable of creating the kind of sound the Genesis can, so many games sound better on Genesis.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I feel about the Genesis sound is that it suits some games very well whereas others don't work as well with it. The SPC700 is more capable, and sounds great in many games, but it's just not capable of creating the kind of sound the Genesis can, so many games sound better on Genesis.
Personally i just think is about composition, regardless of the sound system the consoles had, it was up to the game programmers to work within system limitations, so i think is just some of them didn't know what they were doing and ended up being bad while others did make it work well. Most of the noticable differences were the multiport games like street fighter, castlevania, contra, and some disney games. Even some of the exlusives were bad but again i just feel is about programmer responsibility.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to try and record a sample video to post here, I have several options i would like to ask for anyone interested in seeing it. I will be using my android, emulator since is how i can easily screen cap it. So here are some choices.

• 720P or 1080P (I can go lower but yuck, HD is the way to go) It will be at 30FPS Instead of 60FPS Sadly, cause is how it works. :(
  • 5 Min or 10 min (I can go longer, but i am worry about storage space)
  • Screen format (I usually have these settings on my emulator. So if you would agree on one then let me know otherwise I'll leave it my way)
Screen shots are based off of the Screen capture android option, which is defaut at 1920X1080 Reolution. It is different than the screenshots i took above in the first post cause i used the emulation screen caption option which has different resolution. The purpose of this option is to display the image effects which cannot be shown the previous way.

First image: Lienar filter on, HQX2 Image shader, full screen."16:9" I assume (Personally used one)
Second Image: No filter, No shader, 4:3 wide screen ratio. (Commonly used one when making retro videos)
Third Image: No filter, No shader, 1:1 Wide screen ratio. (It was a option, so i just included)
MD.emu_20160922_204829.png MD.emu_20160922_204913.png MD.emu_20160922_204930.png

So let me know what you think in the comments if you are interested. :)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a opinion based question so is free to openly discuss it, but i prefer least some quick responses to minimize delays. Perhaps first 10 votes on the settings will be enough? Let's see if we can achieve that. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1