Gaming Misc Review Oldies Others Sonic & Knuckles: What is "No Way!" "No Way?" Screen and Conflicting Information A I see on my screen versus what I see online and in-game

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I own the cartridge and a Sega Genesis 3.

Most of my attempts at playing the result of any locked on cartridge and s&k (connecting s&k onto a cartridge) on my sg 3 results in nothing or a non playable screen.

The no way screen appeared more than once but what is it for?

Ain't online websites mention 3 models on the screen... Well, there's 4... Sonic, trains, knuckles and robotnik.

Also, some guides mention to enter or change a password... It isn't something do-able for me because there isn't a blank to input or a selectable option that makes that do-able.

When I play

Also, I see the screens of gameplay online of the no way screen and there's a "difficulty" and the word "max" below that and Sonic characters and Sonic "rescue" animals... I'm mentioning this because my screen doesn't have that same appearance and I don't see much mentioned about it.

Also, I see online where people mention that you can press specific buttons or do a pattern of music from the sound test to do specific in-game things that normally are not possible.

How is seeing and doing anything on the "no way" screen and especially pressing buttons or doing specific sound test patterns possible without at least a Game Genie?

I was able to get Sonic the Hedgehog 3 with knuckles to appear on screen by using Sonic 3 but not without many attempts and not always does it appear.

Also though, a different level appeared after I died in the sphere game (I died in that level also and it hasn't appeared again).

I tried S&K onto S2 and S1 but nothing happens or no way screen appears.

All of these games are labeled "Sega Genesis" on the sticker (except Sonic and Knuckles (there isn't a sticker like that on the cartridge)).

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've liked at that page already and they information on that page is on conflict with other information I've seen online...

Also though, the information on that page isn't enough information

Do you own a Sega Genesis and Sonic knuckles and another game cartridge and can see what I'm asking about?

I am mostly asking about this information from people who played, tried this or seen this played or used in person before

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I've liked at that page already and they information on that page is on conflict with other information I've seen online...

Also though, the information on that page isn't enough information

Do you own a Sega Genesis and Sonic knuckles and another game cartridge and can see what I'm asking about?

I am mostly asking about this information from people who played, tried this or seen this played or used in person before

I've been playing the game for decades, the reason why I linked to that page is because from what I saw it basically explained everything.

For example:
Also, some guides mention to enter or change a password... It isn't something do-able for me because there isn't a blank to input or a selectable option that makes that do-able.

Unless I misunderstood the question, this is explained by:

A single Blue Sphere stage can be created by locking on Sonic & Knuckles to any Sega Mega Drive game. The stage layout is produced randomly from information in the inserted cartridge's ROM header, along with the stage's 'code' for use in the full Blue Sphere game which is displayed by clearing the stage with a Perfect. To give some sort of visual clue that the game is not fully compatible, the characters on the title screen have a blue tint and do not animate. Only by locking the original Sonic the Hedgehog (REV00 or REV01) or Sonic Classics (on real hardware only) can one play through all the stages.

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't quote you because the text disappears

I use a Sega Genesis 3 and I don't use mega drive cartridges... I'm not certain that 's why I don't see the same things...

Some guides don't mention if they use Genesis gamed or MD gamed and it's possible some guides/information mentioned using SG games and/or SG systems and on the website with the information they posted, they posted images from the outcome of using SG game and SG consoles or the images were from MD games

I had some other questions though such as why are all of these screens in 3d-ish though most of the games for those consoles aren't

Basically I am asking if you played the games before the way (SG games and SG/SG 3) I do and do you know information about the "No Way Screen"

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't quote you because the text disappears

I use a Sega Genesis 3 and I don't use mega drive cartridges... I'm not certain that 's why I don't see the same things... Some guides don't mention if they use Genesis game or md game and it's possible since guides/information mentioned using sg games and/or sg systems too appear that screen

I had some other questions though such as why are all of these screens in 3d-ish though most of the games for those consoles aren't

Also

"Genesis" is just what Sega called the "Mega Drive" in the US, it doesn't matter in this context.

The only things that matter are the ROM size and the ROM header of the attached cartridge.

As for the 3D effect, IDK, maybe they just thought it looked cool, they used a 3D effect for S3/&K's title screen.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If you are getting a black screen with a physical mega drive copy of Sonic & Knuckles with random cartridges plonked on top, you most likely are dealing with the typical problem where you need to ensure the contacts of the cartridge are clean and that the cartridge slot on the Genesis is clean and free of debris. Incompatible games for Sonic & Knuckles result in the base game (Sonic & Knuckles) booting instead of the unique Blue Sphere stage, so if you are getting a black screen, your problem is between the console and the game, not between the game and the locked on game.

2. If you get to the "No Way! No Way?" screen, you have to press A+B+C on the controller to play Blue Sphere.

3. Only Sonic 1 allows you to play the full version of Blue Spheres. Most other cartridges will result in "No Way! No Way?" with a blue background, which allows access to 1 Blue Sphere Stage that is derived from the header of the incompatible game.

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Genesis" is just what Sega called the "Mega Drive" in the US, it doesn't matter in this context.

The only things that matter are the ROM size and the ROM header of the attached cartridge.

As for the 3D effect, IDK, maybe they just thought it looked cool, they used a 3D effect for S3/&K's title screen.

I think the mega drive is a different system then Genesis and possibly there are more than 1 versions of it?

I don't know much information about ROMs ... Especially these days
Post automatically merged:

1. If you are getting a black screen with a physical mega drive copy of Sonic & Knuckles with random cartridges plonked on top, you most likely are dealing with the typical problem where you need to ensure the contacts of the cartridge are clean and that the cartridge slot on the Genesis is clean and free of debris. Incompatible games for Sonic & Knuckles result in the base game (Sonic & Knuckles) booting instead of the unique Blue Sphere stage, so if you are getting a black screen, your problem is between the console and the game, not between the game and the locked on game.

2. If you get to the "No Way! No Way?" screen, you have to press A+B+C on the controller to play Blue Sphere.

3. Only Sonic 1 allows you to play the full version of Blue Spheres. Most other cartridges will result in "No Way! No Way?" with a blue background, which allows access to 1 Blue Sphere Stage that is derived from the header of the incompatible game.

When the no way screen appears, I can play more than 1 level of blue sphere game but I died everytime.

One time, even though I died, a new level, not the same as the one I died in happened and I died in that also but I didn't appear in that level again
Post automatically merged:

When the no way screen appears, I can play more than 1 level of blue sphere game but I died everytime.

One time, even though I died, a new level, not the same as the one I died in happened and I died in that also but I didn't appear in that level again

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the mega drive is a different system then Genesis and possibly there are more than 1 versions of it?

I don't know much information about ROMs ... Especially these days

Genesis is just the name of the Mega Drive in NA.

There have been multiple versions of the MD/Gen both by Sega and third parties.

In Japan Sega did release consoles using "SG", but these are not the Mega Drive/Gen.

I just re-read your OP about Sonic 1/2 causing issues, have you tried cleaning your cartridges and the S&K lock on slot?

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genesis is just the name of the Mega Drive in NA.

There have been multiple versions of the MD/Gen both by Sega and third parties.

In Japan Sega did release consoles using "SG", but these are not the Mega Drive/Gen.

I just re-read your OP about Sonic 1/2 causing issues, have you tried cleaning your cartridges and the S&K lock on slot?

"In Japan Sega did release consoles using SG, but these are not the Mega Drive/Gen." I am not sure what you're explaining

Not much different happens after cleaning them out.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
"In Japan Sega did release consoles using SG, but these are not the Mega Drive/Gen." I am not sure what you're explaining

Not much different happens after cleaning them out.

Sorry, when you said "SG systems" I thought you were referring to older systems such as the SG-1000 not shorthand for 'Sega Genesis'.

To get back on track, the main issue you are having is that your S&K cartridge is having an unreliable lock on?

Is Sonic & Knuckles on it's own reliable? i.e. no black screens when no 'lock on' cart is inserted?

Do the carts you're trying to lock on with working on their own in the console?

How are you cleaning the cartridge slots and connectors?

ItsProbablyNOTMe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, when you said "SG systems" I thought you were referring to older systems such as the SG-1000 not shorthand for 'Sega Genesis'.

To get back on track, the main issue you are having is that your S&K cartridge is having an unreliable lock on?

Is Sonic & Knuckles on it's own reliable? i.e. no black screens when no 'lock on' cart is inserted?

Do the carts you're trying to lock on with working on their own in the console?

How are you cleaning the cartridge slots and connectors?

For me they nearly always start after simply inserting the cartridge and turning the console's power switch on but nearly all of my games don't start on the first attempt (some games, I try many times before they show)

I usually blow in them and very few occurances I use a qtip and/or rubbing alcohol/hydrogen peroxide.

Some games start after the first 1 or 2 screens appear while others skip that/those screens and start (the Sega Enterprise screen and/or the game's software brand screen doesn't appear sometimes, for example)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
For me they nearly always start after simply inserting the cartridge and turning the console's power switch on but nearly all of my games don't start on the first attempt (some games, I try many times before they show)

I usually blow in them and very few occurances I use a qtip and/or rubbing alcohol/hydrogen peroxide.

Some games start after the first 1 or 2 screens appear while others skip that/those screens and start (the Sega Enterprise screen and/or the game's software brand screen doesn't appear sometimes, for example)

First it's often recommended not to blow into the carts because of the risk of corrosion, instead using something like qtips and IPA (isopropyl Alcohol).

I'm not entirely understanding your post, so games require multiple power cycles to work? I'm wondering if there may be an issue with the console in that case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto