Homebrew Does Smash Bros. work with Luma3DS's LayeredFS?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
You need to do more than copy the folder structure of romfs. Romfs doesn't mean anything with regards to smash modding because the entire game is packed into 1 large archive. So for LayeredFS it can ONLY replace THAT file. SaltySD is a patch to the actual game code that makes it load the game files EXTRACTED from the DT archive. You need to follow the folder structure of the EXTRACTED dt archive. Use my DTLS or ShinyQuagsire's modified script on his github to see the structure, and copy that
Ok... Smash modding seems a bit more complicated than that YouTube tutorial made it seem. Doesn't feel like all the work is worth it.

Sammi Husky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok... Smash modding seems a bit more complicated than that YouTube tutorial made it seem. Doesn't feel like all the work is worth it.

It isn't hard, you just need to know what the filepath of the thing you're replacing is. To do that, you need some form of reference. So basically, if you've gotten far enough to extract the DTLS archive so that you can mod stuff, just copy that filepath exactly

Jimbo_Slim

Pun Master/Loser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all honesty, SaltySD is the easy way to load mods even though I did get confused at one point by the guides. It's basically the same as Brawl but with an extra step of getting the code.bin.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash cannot be used with Luma's LayeredFS because of the fact that the files are packed into a dt and ls file, where almost all of the data is in the dt file. SaltySD can do the dtls redirection. This is why, even with the folder structure known, LayeredFS will not work unless it's a music mod, since sounds are contained outside of the dtls.

Also, if you want to compile SaltySD yourself, read on.

I would recommend, for dumping code.bin, to use GodMode9.

Use whichever one of the last two tutorials that you need: https://gbatemp.net/threads/title-dumping-and-file-extraction-using-godmode9-1-0.465427/ (Note: The titled used is the same one as before)

Instead of copying over the data in the romfs, just copy the .code in the exefs folder.

Now, install devkitpro and git, then place the code.bin in the smash folder in a clone/downloaded version of this repository: https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/SaltySD
Once you have that done, open MSYS, navigate to the smash folder in the SaltySD folder and type in "make".
If you want to be lazy, there's a link to the code.bin in a TCPixel video, won't say which since I can't provide illegal downloads but it's painstakingly obvious, just remember to rename it to code.bin for Luma 7.0.

EDIT: And don't use YouTube tutorials, especially for things like installing CFW, which is very likely to cause bricks. They get outdated in a matter of days, sometimes even hours.

Last edited by FateForWindows,

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can't you repack those files? (which I heard are some virtual filesystems). Luma does not support that because it doesn't support game-specific stuff, but if you repack them it should work

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can't you repack those files? (which I heard are some virtual filesystems). Luma does not support that because it doesn't support game-specific stuff, but if you repack them it should work
You certainly can, and I think that's something a lot of people don't consider.
That said, SaltySD is much easier than having to deal with extracting and repacking the dt/ls files.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
If time isn't really an issue for you then maybe you should just let the saltysd download while you are at work/school/sleeping
It isn't that. It's my terrible WiFi. I never know if the download will stop.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Well just try it and if it doesn't work oh well or download it at a friend's house or something idk
I don't need to. Someone is helping me in the DMs and I have my patched code.bin.

Reactions: 3than_H

Sammi Husky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You certainly can, and I think that's something a lot of people don't consider.
That said, SaltySD is much easier than having to deal with extracting and repacking the dt/ls files.

My 3ds DTLS app only supported extraction and patching, not fully rebuilding. It's trivial to fix the filesize issues with repacking, but i never got around to it because needing to include the entire game FS when you're just changing 1 file is really bad.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
No. Smash is not compatible with LayeredFS due to no DTLS repacking.

As of now, you won't be able to replace any files even with layeredfs. You need SaltySD

Last edited by Halvorsen,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
No. Smash is not compatible with LayeredFS due to no DTLS repacking. You won't be able to replace any files even with layeredfs. You need SaltySD
We already worked this out. I got someone helping me in the DMs.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know, the only SaltySD that is as huge as an update is a very outdated version. With Smash Selector, you only need a 11mb sized code.bin
Okay. I was already told that it's outdated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: looking at the rumors, black ops 6 could be a return to form for black ops after 4 and cold war...