Does bluetooth interfere with wifi?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious. I dunno why but is just something I noticed, because I don't 100% understand, i will try to explain. I have this bluetooth dongle that I use to play games with on my pc, when i put it in, it searching for a controller to pair, when is doing that, the wii u wifi seem to stop working properly, when i take it out it works fine. So i put it back in and it stops working again. So i just proceed to pair controller and after is pairs, it works fine again.

So basically when the device is in pairing mode, the wii u stops working the wifi for some reason. I dunno how or if is possible to fix this or is it just the wii u wifi sucks bad. I didn't consider it the devices problem cause all my other stuff works fine even with the same conditions, but not the wii u. So I just wasn't sure what to do about it. I know is not much of a problem to just remove the device when not using it. But sometimes i forget and assume is just the wii u being bad again. Then do so much other stuff to try and fix it when i just had to remember is the bluetooth thing.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious. I dunno why but is just something I noticed, because I don't 100% understand, i will try to explain. I have this bluetooth dongle that I use to play games with on my pc, when i put it in, it searching for a controller to pair, when is doing that, the wii u wifi seem to stop working properly, when i take it out it works fine. So i put it back in and it stops working again. So i just proceed to pair controller and after is pairs, it works fine again.

So basically when the device is in pairing mode, the wii u stops working the wifi for some reason. I dunno how or if is possible to fix this or is it just the wii u wifi sucks bad. I didn't consider it the devices problem cause all my other stuff works fine even with the same conditions, but not the wii u. So I just wasn't sure what to do about it. I know is not much of a problem to just remove the device when not using it. But sometimes i forget and assume is just the wii u being bad again. Then do so much other stuff to try and fix it when i just had to remember is the bluetooth thing.
Yes

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it can.

This is because Bluetooth uses the same frequency as your average Wifi signal, which is 2.4Ghz (various other devices also emit this particular frequency, like florescent bulbs and microwaves) and, since we live in an age where we have a billion devices emitting basically the same frequencies, this can cause interference with various devices.

There are steps you can take to minimize this interference. Changing your wireless channel to something less crowded can usually fix this, which you can do in your router's settings. To find the best channel, you can use various programs on Windows to scan all wifi signals and determine which channel is the least crowded, but I do the same on my Android phone using Wifi Analyzer cuz it's super quick, simple, and easy to use.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Strictly speaking, 2.4 GHz wifi is on the same band (ISM) as Bluetooth and other unrelated stuff, but unless there are truckloads of activity in your area, most hardware (11g and newer?) nowadays should be able to work around

Some devices with both wifi and bluetooth have a "coexistence" option allowing them to exchange frequency information and stuff to avoid overlap, but it's not your case (and it usually sucks in implementation)...

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If your router and devices support the 5Ghz band consider switching to that one to avoid conflicting with your bluetooth devices.

The downside to 5GHz is that it can have a shorter range than 2.4 and be susceptible to the environment.

If you have a multi band router, I'd suggest keeping the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels as separate SSIDs to reduce potential issues and allow for manual selection (which could increase performance, depending on circumstances).

Last edited by tech3475,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your router and devices support the 5Ghz band consider switching to that one to avoid conflicting with your bluetooth devices.
My wii u does not support that connection, and the devices that do already use 5GHZ.

Is it possible to switch the bluetooth channel instead the wifi channel? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!