Does anyone have any experience with SSF?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never owned a Sega Saturn and wanted to try its vast library of games before I seriously consider purchasing the system for myself. I was told this was the best emulator for Sega Saturn (correct me if I'm wrong), I have used a few emulators but I've never had such a difficult time with one such as this. Maybe I'm not used to disk based emulators and I need some time to adjust.

So I'm currently using what I assume is the latest version (0.12 beta R4), is there any readme, youtube videos, or FAQs I can follow to get this setup and running? I'm trying my best to load the .MDF files but it wont accept them.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have to have an emulated disk drive in order to use this emulator? I just dont wanna download more unnecessary programs just to play some Sega Saturn games.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Do I have to have an emulated disk drive in order to use this emulator? I just dont wanna download more unnecessary programs just to play some Sega Saturn games.

It helps to, iirc you don't need to, it's how I use it though.
Gotta duck out and sleep. Be back later to help if nobody else jumps in.

nonamejohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSF requires a disc emulator to play backups. Daemon-tools or magic iso will be fine. I have been using SSF for years and it plays nearly every saturn game flawlessly.The only thing I don't like is that there is no hardware acceleration for the graphics. Send me a pm if you need more info.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSF requires a disc emulator to play backups. Daemon-tools or magic iso will be fine. I have been using SSF for years and it plays nearly every saturn game flawlessly.The only thing I don't like is that there is no hardware acceleration for the graphics. Send me a pm if you need more info.
All I ask is for a step by step on setting up. I wanna get to playing on this asap.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right, yes you need a virtual drive program, and the game mounted on it before firing up ssf. Then you need to select 'Clone Drive' somewhere in the options, then restart. Should be good to go after that..... assuming you have the BIOS file (and have it correctly named if memory serves me)

EDIT: Ninja'd! :lol:

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I think I got the hang of it after getting the bios and using DAEMON tools. Granted this isnt as streamlined as other emulators so there is a bit of work on the user end but once you configure everything its pretty much good to go.

One very minor complain, very minor. The icon for the application shows up as a generic windows program default. I was hoping for some really cool custom icon to represent the emulator itself. Otherwise this is running just fine.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I think I got the hang of it after getting the bios and using DAEMON tools. Granted this isnt as streamlined as other emulators so there is a bit of work on the user end but once you configure everything its pretty much good to go.

One very minor complain, very minor. The icon for the application shows up as a generic windows program default. I was hoping for some really cool custom icon to represent the emulator itself. Otherwise this is running just fine.

Glad someone could help you, I like my sleep :)
Yes SSF is a pain but it's the lesser of two evils (the other Saturn emu is pretty clunky too). The frontend's the real killer so I use it through cmd and set it up manual with the ini files. I can give you my ini's if you have any more drama.
And the icon, just grab an .ico off the web and use that and you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll find one quick enough through google.

And totally try Tempest 2000 and Enemy Zero if you haven't already. It's one of the better versions of Tempest out there if you can handle trippy Jeff Minter arcade shooters. :)

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While were on the subject about emulators what would you say is best in class for DreamCast? It looks like a close neck to neck between Chankast and nullDC.

For Sega Genesis, 32x, and CD I'm going to stick with Kega fusion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...