Hardware Dock Mod to Prevent Screen Scratches.

Dystopiq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A word of caution on moleskin. As a Scoutleader I use this stuff frequently on hikes and the adhesive is very strong. Recall the issues and recall of skins by dbrand due to adhesive damage. Obviously the chemical properties of the particular adhesive used make a difference. It may be very difficult to remove from the narrow confines of that slot.
Thanks for the warning. I installed the moleskin anyway. It's working nicely. I'll cross that bridge when I get there!

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might choose a different themed fabric but this is at least washable.

A Switch Dock Cozy.

IMG_0049.JPG

Source:https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...e_a_little_cozy_to_protect_my_switchs_screen/

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just cut the front off the dock and use it horizontally for minimal effort. OR Pull the guts out and put the ports in a project box or maybe someone can 3D print a custom box and just plug the Switch into the USB C connection.

Portable travel dock Nintendo refuses to make to house their DRM Dongle.

I don't know if the existing USB C make from the bottom of the dock can be used or how "custom" that connector is on the PCB.
View attachment 80453

View attachment 80454

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263
I think it would be incredibly easy to make a portable charge base for that. Just 3d print a square base with a little backrest for the switch. Youc an feed the dock port through, and have the ports on the PCB point outwards.
1.png

2.png

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: thorasgar

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, if you watch all the trailers for the nintendo switch and realize how easy they make Putting the joy cons on the system and removing it from the dock, it looks SOOO EASY. Then realize when you do it, you may scratch the system? I wonder how "Easy" they had made it look to not scratch those trailer systems? :unsure:

If i have to be honest, maybe if you use dock to just be careful and gentle, least look where you put it at until you can get a protection for it, maybe if spoken enough about, nintendo will release a redesign dock system for the switch (for cheap i hope cause it doesn't seem like much.) But i'm sure there is plenty of people who bought the switch and wanna instantly start making videos of it and using dock makes game capture easier, didn't think about a screen protector or scratches from the start if they were gonna be careful. I bet they don't even know about the scratching still and use it, maybe just don't transition from dock to mobile so much until protection is ensured. :)

(I wish they included a second charge cable, using one for both dock and system is a chore to keep switching between.:glare:)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What dirt and shit? I don't have dirt and shit in my room.
actually bro YOU DO. everyone does it's in the air no matter how clean you think your house is. next time you see the sunlight ray coming in through a window get up close and take a look just what we are breathing in constantly or take a torch and shine it in a really dark room :P

OverBlade24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait but realistically, isn't that the shit that they ship it in over seas. That means it can't scratch it. It's in there for a reason.

-snipped bickering-

Last edited by Issac,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wait but realistically, isn't that the shit that they ship it in over seas. That means it can't scratch it. It's in there for a reason.

Consider this: When this is wrapped around stuff in shipping, it doesn't move. It actually grips the item quite good.
Now, you're going to slide it against that material time and time again. I don't know if it will scratch or not, but it isn't such a ridiculous idea to think that anyway. Would you take that material and rub it against your screen to clean it? I wouldn't.

I'll just use a screen protector, and maybe put a micro fiber cloth in the dock too (like that spotted fabric picture a few posts above).

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No trolling or sarcasm here but I feel like I should be watching an instructional video on the proper way of docking and undocking the Switch. Does anything like that exist so we dont scratch it doing it the "wrong" way?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd still go for screen protectors and sticking a microfiber cloth to it.

Its pretty sad that users have to come up with workarounds for a brand new console just to protect their screen :/ Like, what did you expect, Nintendo?

They never learned from the original 3DS ;')

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Yes, I hope for a third party open design. It would be easier just to dock it "naked" and have the ports behind it.
I think I've seen a case to cover the screen but I'm not too sure if that's intended to be used on Dock Mode or Portable Mode. Can't seem to find the link now.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys seem to think that just because the alignment nubbins are hard plastic they will be hard enough to scratch the screen. That's not exactly right, it has to be hard enough to not collect random dirt and scratching particles, but the screen will still be a harder material and won't scratch. It may leave lines but that's because you're a dirty slob and those lines can be wiped away.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for pointing that out, I hope when they release an improved switch 3 years from now, a better solution for docking comes up.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just cut a microfiber cloth into a couple strips and cut some double-sided tape to fit around the whole of the railings on the screen side. I did notice some minor scuffing on the screen-side bezel toward the bottom prior to that. Easily cleaned off with a glasses wipe, though. No issues on the back of the unit, so some people really must be dunking it in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.