Gaming Do you use the 3D effect on the 3DS?

What are 1) your system and 2) the most common position of its 3D slider (while playing 3DS games)?

• 2DS...

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • original 3DS, fully on

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • original 3DS, midway

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • original 3DS, off

Votes: 31 14.5%
  • original 3DS XL, fully on

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • original 3DS XL, midway

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • original 3DS XL, off

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • new 3DS, fully on

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • new 3DS, midway

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • new 3DS, off

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • new 3DS XL, fully on

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • new 3DS XL, midway

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • new 3DS XL, off

• It doesn't apply to me

• Total voters

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Off, and there's both a regular (old) 3DS and (old) XL in the house. Though I must say I enjoyed bits of Mario 3D Land and Link Between Worlds with it on, but no, it's just a gimmick! FTR the rest of my house are gamers, and they've used the 3D even less than I have...

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use 3D once in a while just to look at a specific scene, then turn it off. The only reason I don't keep the 3D on is because it's too easy to lose the 3D when I'm trying to relax.

Reactions: Margen67

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3D off during gameplay, as it is annoying, causes headache, in order to play anything without double image you have to be stiff like a statue, it is uncomfortable, kills the battery, worsens the image quality, drops framerate and stinks.
Anyway I sometimes turn it on for videos and cinematics only.

Reactions: Margen67 and Joe88

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Used it rarely on my 3DS and XL; mostly for cutscenes and such. The sweet spot was just too small to have it on for any great period of time

But since getting my new3DS it's been on permanently. Super Stable 3D is the shit!

Reactions: Margen67

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used it rarely on my 3DS and XL; mostly for cutscenes and such. The sweet spot was just too small to have it on for any great period of time

But since getting my new3DS it's been on permanently. Super Stable 3D is the shit!

3D that much better on the New 3DS? If so, I can't wait to buy one!

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably will put the 3D on medium when I get the New 3DS XL, I'm not big on 3D and more of a old school gamer but I'd still want the 3D on mildly since almost all 3DS games were developed with 3D in mind.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
At home with games that has been programmed with a nice 3d i keep it on. When im on conventions and outside always off to save battery.

Will be very interesting to see how new 3ds xl will handle 3d.

OncRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an old man- it bothers my eyes, drains the battery...grumble...grumble...Cool concept, just not very practical, IMHO.

swordlord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The poll asks me what the most common position is, so the answer has to be off, even though I like to use the 3D fully on a lot. The thing is, there's no real reason to keep it on unless ingame and I'm not always playing.

It also depends on the game. Usually, Nintendo games have a smooth 3D effect, one that doesn't bother you when you move your hands a little and that doesn't tire you out and well... in short bring the 3D to life. Games such as SM3DL, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Paper Mario SS, and so on and so forth. An example of a 3rd party game that feels as smooth as a Nintendo game to me is Bravely Default. In my head all 3rd party games have an obvious disadvantage to Nintendo games on the 3DS because obviously they know their hardware.

Another example is RE: The mercenaries. There's nothing wrong with its 3D, it looks good and gives you a good sense of depth, but since it's so intense, it's hard to keep up with the 3D, so I keep it off for this game. Same goes for RE: Revelations. My 3DS is the vanilla one, btw.

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
When I used a normal 3DSXL as my main system, I barely ever used the 3D functionality. In fact, I probably didn't leave it on for more than two minutes whenever I played anything.

Since getting a New 3DSXL though, that's changed a fair bit. I find myself leaving it on about halfway or so for most games; I like the tracking feature on that system a lot, means you barely ever get that horrible glare effect you got when turning the original 3DS/3DSXL even slightly when 3D was on because it knows where your face is and adjusts it accordingly. (When I say barely, like, you have to turn the entire system about 70 degrees until you can't even see the screen in order to get that glare).

I still leave it off for some games though, mainly Pokemon ORAS (the mid-battle framerate dip makes me kinda sad), and Smash Bros 4. But yeah, the New 3DSXL's 3D functions are pretty great.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Off. Shitty gimmick.

Turned it on maybe once or twice during Ocarina of Time for a "oh that looks kinda neat." sort of thing but otherwise it's always off. I kinda wish Nintendo had gone for power over the shitty gimmick so games didn't still look 5-10 years old.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep mine on all day everyday unless it messes with the framerate for online play depending on the game. Don't see why people hate it so much. I think it is cool you do not need glasses for the 3D effects.

Skull Kiddo

Definitely Not A Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Off. Shitty gimmick.

Turned it on maybe once or twice during Ocarina of Time for a "oh that looks kinda neat." sort of thing but otherwise it's always off. I kinda wish Nintendo had gone for power over the shitty gimmick so games didn't still look 5-10 years old.
Every Nintendo console has always a "shitty gimmick".

Reactions: testatura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.