Gaming Do you think we'll ever get to experience the feeling of ice cubes in a glass?

Do you think we'll ever get to experience the feeling of ice cubes colliding in a cup on the switch?

• Yes

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mario kart 8 Deluxe uses advanced vibration to tell you when purple turbo is ready. I don't expect much more advanced usage - but it really doesn't need to be.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can tell that so many people haven't tried the 1-2 switch marble box game or wtv, the hd rumble is actually impressive in some areas if devs would use it, I prefer the "hd rumble" to normal rumble that's for sure. It's definatly gonna have to be improved next gen to make it the haptic feedback or wtv better but it puts normal VIBRATE AT FULL POWER FOR EVERYTHING to shame imo. I turned rumble off on my Xbox just because in destiny it rumbled really hard for everything, but with the switch I wouldn't turn it off.

D

Deleted User

That's a lie.

Wii:

Metroid Prime Trilogy/3
Skyward Sword
Wii Sports/Resort
Red Steel

DS:

Metroid Prime Hunters
LoZ Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass
Warioware Touched
Ninja Gaiden DS

Just to name a few..
Just like to point out that in both cases, 3 out of 4 of those games are First Party, In-house Nintendo titles.

D

Deleted User

... And somehow that invalidates it?
Actually yes, it kinda does. It shows that most 3rd party game developers couldn't give a damn about gimmicks, and that only nintendo themselves or the odd developer here or there use them.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Actually yes, it kinda does. It shows that most 3rd party game developers couldn't give a damn about gimmicks, and that only nintendo themselves or the odd developer here or there use them.

Hm. So, not many good games excludes first party? Nope. Sorry. Doesn't work.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not many good 3rd party games used the gimmicks. You're shifting the goalposts there chap.

How so? Because it doesn't fit your vision? There were no specifics stated..

If you're going to argue, at least bring something worthwhile. Nothing I stated was wrong.

Last edited by Kioku,
D

Deleted User

How so? Because it doesn't fit your vision? There were no specifics stated..
You stated a bunch of games that were well received that used Nintendo Gimmicks. I then stated that your list only had first party titles on it, and that's why they were well received with gimmicks, and that almost no 3rd party developers use gimmicks. Then you tried making it seem like I said no 3rd party game was good. So i corrected again.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You stated a bunch of games that were well received that used Nintendo Gimmicks. I then stated that your list only had first party titles on it, and that's why they were well received with gimmicks, and that almost no 3rd party developers use gimmicks. Then you tried making it seem like I said no 3rd party game was good. So i corrected again.
Right.. Well if you can actually provide a real argument outside of it not fitting into your views? Let me know. The statement was blanket.. And it was wrong. You want to get technical? Have fun.

If we're talking about the limitless amounts of shovelware and awful third party games? Then there would be no good games at all.

Last edited by Kioku,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
No we wont experience "Ice cubes"...but the good folks over at Marvelous Entertainment might use such a feature to create a game that revolves around "feeling stuff" Cough Senran Kagura Cough (i personally cant seem to get into that series tho :rolleyes:)

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No we wont experience "Ice cubes"...but the good folks over at Marvelous Entertainment might use such a feature to create a game that revolves around "feeling stuff" Cough Senran Kagura Cough (i personally cant seem to get into that series tho :rolleyes:)
Not good enough..

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep i can say we will.
Probably end up being in a Mario part game. I can see it now.
Count the ice cubes in the cup.
Or once the cup is full pour it out.
Something to that effect. The joy cons could really shine in a Mario Party game.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Answer lower down, mini rant first.

Ive seen alot of people hating on HD rumble but I dont see whats wrong with it. I find the ball game feels like balls not just vibrations.

And yes, we may feel ice cubes but it wouldnt come officially, it would be homebrew.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the correction. I had no idea. Still doesn't make it more believable than a mere vibration tho.
With how precise it can do vibrations (the HD part of HD rumble) it does mimic sensations a lot better than weighted motors. I guarantee the ball game would not work as well with weighted motors.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
With how precise it can do vibrations (the HD part of HD rumble) it does mimic sensations a lot better than weighted motors. I guarantee the ball game would not work as well with weighted motors.
Well, it can create different levels of vibrations. Something that was already done in the past by having multiple motors of different frequencies.
2 or 3 different levels of vibrations is all that's needed for the ball game. It just wasn't done before because no one used rumble as a selling point of their console, hence they didn't need minigames just to show it off.
This "HD Rumble" thing is just a buzzword to make people think this is something new. It isn't, the Oculus, Vive and Steam Controller use the same technology.
It's simply an incremental improvement on haptic feedback.
I can tell that so many people haven't tried the 1-2 switch marble box game or wtv, the hd rumble is actually impressive in some areas if devs would use it, I prefer the "hd rumble" to normal rumble that's for sure. It's definatly gonna have to be improved next gen to make it the haptic feedback or wtv better but it puts normal VIBRATE AT FULL POWER FOR EVERYTHING to shame imo. I turned rumble off on my Xbox just because in destiny it rumbled really hard for everything, but with the switch I wouldn't turn it off.
It's cool and all, but it's really nothing special. I described the ball game effect in detail before.
Just like to point out that in both cases, 3 out of 4 of those games are First Party, In-house Nintendo titles.
Not to mention Zelda PH/ST are nowhere near being the best games on the console. They're not even good games. The touch ruined those games instead of making them better, so they're terrible examples.
Not many good 3rd party games used the gimmicks. You're shifting the goalposts there chap.
I don't feel like looking through my Wii game library to make a list, so I'll just mention one third party game that used motion controls well: Okami.
There are plenty of DS/Wii 3rd party games that use the motion control/touchscreen gimmicks, the quality varies a lot, but that's true for most 3rd party games on those platforms. They had a ton of shovelware, especially the Wii. The best games on the systems were mostly 1st party with some exceptions, thanks to Mario Kart, Pokemon, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy and all that. If you look at any top list for them most of the games will be 1st party. That's not because there weren't plenty of good 3rd party games, it's just that Nintendo are really good at what they do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work