Hardware Do you think 3DS sales will continue to slump?

Do you think 3DS sales will continue to slump throughout especially with the release of the NGP?

• Yes! 3D IS JUST A GIMMICK AND NGP IS EVERYTHING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if the price doesn't go down

• No, more software is coming up, especially great games (not caring the price)

• No, 3DS will have enough fanboys

• No, cuz 3DS will repeat history just like DS VS PSP

• Yes/no for another reason? Please state below!

• Total voters

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
BlueStar said:
Foxi4 said:
I'm not writing it off. I realize all too well that it will succeed *because* of the fact it is a Nintendo console. There's not much room to fail here, they'd have to try *really hard* to screw this up.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo's not doing so well in the hardware department and to everything they can to lower production costs, and the customer ultimately pays the price, playing on hardware that could've just as well been released several years earlier.

That's the trade off though, isn't it? You release super-high spec machines and the price point gives you a smaller userbase, which means developers aren't willing to commit as much capital. You could pull a Neo-Geo and release an awesomely powerful system that costs as much as a dual-core sim-free smart phone, but then would enough people buy it for you to get your R&D and production costs back through game sales?

It's the problem the PC market has, there aren't enough people who are willing to invest the money and time in keeping an up to date gaming rig going for developers to prioritise it as a platform, so you get very little which isn't low-investment, low-risk indie games and console ports.

The way I see it, Nintendo and Sony took the polar opposite approaches and nobody happens to be in the "sweet middle".

A device that'd give you about half the horsepower of the NGP with a pricetag similar to the 3DS would simply own the market the day it is released, don't you think?

The 3DS is a bit underpowered, which is a fact. The NGP is a bit of an overkill, which is also a fact. A simple dual-core plus GoForce/Ati Mobility or just a Tegra2-based system would be the answer to the gamer's dreams IMO. Ain't happening, so I'm not placing bets. Personally I plan on owning both systems.
Those aren't facts, they're opinions.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
A device that'd give you about half the horsepower of the NGP with a pricetag similar to the 3DS would simply own the market the day it is released, don't you think?

Impossible to say, because the average consumer isn't interested in specs, they're interested in games.

The Gameboy wasn't as powerful as the Lynx or Game Gear, the GBA wasn't as powerful as the N-Gage, the DS wasn't as powerful as the PSP. I imagine Nintendo knows what it's doing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
machomuu said:
Foxi4 said:
BlueStar said:
Foxi4 said:
I'm not writing it off. I realize all too well that it will succeed *because* of the fact it is a Nintendo console. There's not much room to fail here, they'd have to try *really hard* to screw this up.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo's not doing so well in the hardware department and to everything they can to lower production costs, and the customer ultimately pays the price, playing on hardware that could've just as well been released several years earlier.

That's the trade off though, isn't it? You release super-high spec machines and the price point gives you a smaller userbase, which means developers aren't willing to commit as much capital. You could pull a Neo-Geo and release an awesomely powerful system that costs as much as a dual-core sim-free smart phone, but then would enough people buy it for you to get your R&D and production costs back through game sales?

It's the problem the PC market has, there aren't enough people who are willing to invest the money and time in keeping an up to date gaming rig going for developers to prioritise it as a platform, so you get very little which isn't low-investment, low-risk indie games and console ports.

The way I see it, Nintendo and Sony took the polar opposite approaches and nobody happens to be in the "sweet middle".

The 3DS is a bit underpowered, which is a fact. The NGP is a bit of an overkill, which is also a fact. A simple dual-core plus GoForce/Ati Mobility or just a Tegra2-based system would be the answer to the gamer's dreams IMO. Ain't happening, so I'm not placing bets. Personally I plan on owning both systems.

Entertain me then and post 1 contemporary mobile device with a price exceeding 200 bucks that uses a processor of the ARM11 architecture and under 1Ghz clock speed, which is exactly what the 3DS sports. We don't have exact FLOPS or Mhz values, but we're not blind - we can see this is barely a step forward from the PSP. After you're done with that, post 1 mobile device that utilizes a Quadcore CPU and a Quadcore GPU which also happens to be mobile. Facts, not opinions.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Rockstar said:
Yes! 3D IS JUST A GIMMICK AND NGP IS EVERYTHING
LOL.

Anyway to the rest, NGP specs, price and games will be known at E3, so chill
smile.gif

More 3DS games as well.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Entertain me then and post 1 contemporary mobile device with a price exceeding 200 bucks that uses a processor of the ARM11 architecture and under 1Ghz clock speed, which is exactly what the 3DS sports. We don't have exact FLOPS or Mhz values, but we're not blind - we can see this is barely a step forward from the PSP. After you're done with that, post 1 mobile device that utilizes a Quadcore CPU and a Quadcore GPU which also happens to be mobile. Facts, not opinions.

Only if you think "not as powerful as something else" equals "underpowered."

It's powerful enough to run the games that are made for it. The Gameboy was probably less powerful than a decent scientific calculator, but it was powerful enough to become an icon of gaming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
BlueStar said:
Foxi4 said:

Only if you think "not as powerful as something else" equals "underpowered."

It's powerful enough to run the games that are made for it. The Gameboy was probably less powerful than a decent scientific calculator, but it was powerful enough to become an icon of gaming.

There are three types of developers.

Developer #1 looks at the competition and does all it possibly can to push the bar higher, even if the costs that come with this are ridiculous. This is Sony.

Developer #2 looks at the competition and releases hardware that is top-of-the-line, up-to-date and perfectly capable of running titles for now and for the nearby future, but doesn't try to re-invent the wheel with technology from outer space and a gajizillion of SPU cores for every possible calculation including wiping the player's behind, opting for the standard down-the-mill 3-Core'd tried and true architecture. This is Microsoft.

Developer #3 relies on its fanbase and gives it exactly what they want, completely disregarding the fact that the fanbase is 95% morons who don't really know what they want until it kicks them in the face, and still, they won't accept it unless it has the seal of their favourite company on it. They're pushing their hardware to the very limit, but only because they want to lower the manufacturing costs. This is Nintendo.

Obviously this is a large generalization here, but I'm sure you caught the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
heartgold said:
Sales will spike when the big games like mario kart/ super world gets released. Just wait when there's a pokemon game for the 3DS that will skyrocket the sales ;p

...you mean the re-release of Pokemon XD which didn't sell all that well in the first place?

I stopped expecting "revolutions" from the Pokemon franchise around the Pearl era.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh... The 3DS will be fine. The only reason sales are "slumping" is because Nintendo is intentionally holding back the titles that will sell millions of 3DSs by themselves. Nintendo is giving other developers a two month window to make their mark, that was the deal. In reality, Nintendo probably shouldn't have been so kind - just look at everyone here, moaning and complaining and spelling Nintendo's doom for it.

As for what kind of developer Nintendo is, they're smart. You'd have to be stupid not to see that consoles will only ever be able to become so powerful. At a certain point in time, they'll reach the limit and from then on it won't matter how many CPUs you put in or how many GHz they can pull. Certain people here seem to misunderstand Nintendo's approach of pacing themselves to extend the lifeline of consoles, it seems. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they're not rushing ahead. They're not releasing consoles that are more powerful for the sake of being more powerful, like Sony and Microsoft.

The only reason people bought a PS2 after the PS1 was because it was more powerful. The only reason people bought a PS3 after the PS2 is because it was more powerful. Functionally speaking, the PS3 plays games no differently to the PS1. They might look worse and have more loading screens to boot, but there also isn't anything in terms of games the PS3 can do that the PS1 couldn't as well. Microsoft is no different. They don't care about releasing consoles that add to gaming, they just care about release something they can sell.

At least Nintendo makes a conscious effort only to release consoles when they're certain it has a hook worth selling. They have their "gimmick" (which proves to be nothing of the sort as Sony and Microsoft race to be the first to copy it), but they also improve the hardware as well. You get a device that maybe isn't as powerful as its competitors, but it includes unique aspects that they don't have and you're guaranteed that Nintendo will always have room for improvement next time. By the time Sony has released the PSP4 and realises they can't release a PSP5 because it wouldn't make any difference, Nintendo will still have three or four handhelds to make. Then, 20 years later when they're in the same position as Sony, they'll just go in a completely new direction.

People here seem to forget that Nintendo actually knows what they're doing. This is their market. Sony and Microsoft aren't really reliant on it, so they can take liberties with it. They can make stupid moves like Sony not protecting PSN like they should, or Microsoft not making sure their 360's don't die with alarming frequency. They can have their little arms race, because they know they've nothing to lose if the market crashes and burns. Nintendo has to keep the market alive for as long as possible, so pacing themselves is exactly what they have to do - they were here long before Sony and Microsoft and they will still be here long after those two have left. For the market to continue existing and prospering, Nintendo has to do what they can to slow down the progression of its hardware.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
heartgold said:
Sales will spike when the big games like mario kart/ super world gets released. Just wait when there's a pokemon game for the 3DS that will skyrocket the sales ;p

...you mean the re-release of Pokemon XD which didn't sell all that well in the first place?

I stopped expecting "revolutions" from the Pokemon franchise around the Pearl era.

The core series, fuck the spin off's they don't sell well nor are good. Yeah it's just one of those game you either love it or hate it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, you're absolutely right. That's probably why they're experiancing NET losses half-way through the fiscal year. First time in 7 years, I might add.

I'm glad they're holding back their non-existant "good" titles you claim they have.

You seem to be missing my point, Wintrale. A console developer is supposed to make a console that'll not only appeal to the gamers, but also to the developers. When a developer can't spread its wings in a given envioriment, he knocks on the door of the competition. Why, oh why do you think we don't have all too many good titles for the Wii? Because it *can't* pull the good titles off.

If you're a mammal, chances are you have a Wii. The chances that your Wii GATHERS DUST are equally great.

QUOTE said:
Nintendo has to do what they can to slow down the progression of its hardware.

I agree once more. I've had enough of the progress, the time has come to show who can regress as much as humanly possible. All those fancy-pants games that happen to be *fun* already bored me. I want my rougelike games back into mainstream!

QUOTE said:
At least Nintendo makes a conscious effort only to release consoles when they're certain it has a hook worth selling. They have their "gimmick" (which proves to be nothing of the sort as Sony and Microsoft race to be the first to copy it)

I can't think of anything Microsoft copied off Nintendo consoles other than the idea that you connect your console to a TV. If anyone, they copied Sony's Eyetoy. As far as Sony's concerned, yeah, the Move is a bit of a rip-off.

QUOTE said:
They don't care about releasing consoles that add to gaming, they just care about release something they can sell.

To the contrary. It's Nintendo who cares about the sales the most. Why else would they release a gajizillion of add-ons to their products that add nothing at all to the overall gameplay? Why would they create the DSi framework, a never fully-utilized handheld that has 5 dedicated games and a shop-full of rather crappy DSiWare titles, maybe 20 of the games worth buying altogether?

QUOTE said:
Nintendo's approach of pacing themselves to extend the lifeline of consoles

That's not how "extending lifetime" works. Nintendo cosoles tend to be outdated the day they are released. Extending lifetime means that you *exceed* expectations, not just "meet" them.

QUOTE said:
They're not releasing consoles that are more powerful for the sake of being more powerful, like Sony and Microsoft.

...they release consoles for all your waggling needs instead.

QUOTE said:
At a certain point in time, they'll reach the limit and from then on it won't matter how many CPUs you put in or how many GHz they can pull.

...and that time hasn't been reached yet.

Nintendo is giving other developers a two month window to make their mark, that was the deal. In reality, Nintendo probably shouldn't have been so kind - just look at everyone here, moaning and complaining and spelling Nintendo's doom for it.

They shouldn't have released Launch Titles at all. The DS can stand on its own titles! Down with 3DS-only carts!

By the time Sony has released the PSP4 and realises they can't release a PSP5 because it wouldn't make any difference, Nintendo will still have three or four handhelds to make.

...thus allowing the competition to create a large library of games for their console while Nintendo will carry on raping your wallet with minor updates. I actually agree, this sounds like a likely scenario.

The only reason people bought a PS3 after the PS2 is because it was more powerful. Functionally speaking, the PS3 plays games no differently to the PS1.

PS1 = First Disc-Based console system
PS2 = EyeToy, DDR mats, USB support, DVD support (something Nintendo STILL doesn't quite grasp, even though the Wii is perfectly capable of DVD playback), Keyboard support
PS3 = Six-Axis and Move, BlueRay support, exceptional Online capabilities including f.e Video Streaming, PSP 2 PS3 connectivity taken to the next level, unlike the typical "download a demo" routine of the DS 2 Wii.

Righty-o, I also see little innovation or change here.

Ugh, bored. There are too many holes in your logic to poke. Swiss cheese comes to mind.

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
Foxi4 said:
heartgold said:

The core series, fuck the spin off's they don't sell well nor are good. Yeah it's just one of those game you either love it or hate it.

Mystery Dungeon prints money almost well as the main series does now, why do you think PMD2 got a third version?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I fail to see how 3.6 million in 1 week in the US and EU, and just over 1 month in Japan is a slump.

Right now it's in the DS Phat period.
That didn't sell great until Nintendo were able to show people that it could have great games on it.
When that happens 3DS, will be in DS Lite territory, and it'll be selling millions per hour.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr.Positive said:
heartgold said:
Foxi4 said:
heartgold said:

Mystery Dungeon prints money almost well as the main series does now, why do you think PMD2 got a third version?

Almost?....they sell okish, the core series are always breaking records so I think not.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echoing what others have said, there will be a huge spike after Zelda and Mario come out, right now there just isn't enough games to entice people besides those of us who wanted it for the wow factor.

As for the NGP, I firmly believe it will be a repeat of the DS vs PSP... especially if it launces at ~400$, which I think it will.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
machomuu said:
Foxi4 said:
BlueStar said:
Foxi4 said:

That doesn't make it fact, it's still opinion. A fact is undeniable proof with 0% bias.

shareyou

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heed my word for I am a crazy prophet!

Or just listen to my logic and see why not?

I agree with most of the people here, the 3DS sales will increase when they release there signature games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and so forth) BUT it WILL NOT be a huge increase because HTC/ SAMSUNG/ LG are coming out with there own glassless 3D phones this year using the exact screens as the 3DS uses.

I doubt the 3DS will be able to compete with a Android app store filled with cheap 3D gimmick games. They better roll out there signature titles soon before 3D apps start rolling into the Android app store.

Alternatively, the release of 3D games/ 3D Phones on the Android might also increase sales of 3DS because for the people who buy a 3D phone and want to buy into the 3D gimmick the only other console out there that has glassless 3D is the 3DS.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shareyou said:
Heed my word for I am a crazy prophet!

Or just listen to my logic and see why not?

I agree with most of the people here, the 3DS sales will increase when they release there signature games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and so forth) BUT it WILL NOT be a huge increase because HTC/ SAMSUNG/ LG are coming out with there own glassless 3D phones this year using the exact screens as the 3DS uses.

I doubt the 3DS will be able to compete with a android app store filled with cheap 3D gimmick games. They better roll out there signature titles soon before 3D apps start rolling into the Android app store.
I don't think it will matter that much since the 3D advertising for the 3DS doesn't seem to be much of a priority. That and those aren't gaming systems.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm tired of people trumpeting the 3DS HW like it's God. Like hell it's even close to NGP level. You might as well be arguing that the DS had better specs than the PSP, or that the Wii was more powerful than the PS3.

You're Nintendo gamers. Surely you should be used to this by now. You buy Ninty stuff for the games, not for the power. ...Or because you've always bought Nintendo games and will go to any length to convince yourself that this is the right course of action.l It well may be, but you're only fooling yourself

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1