Hardware Do you still play the 3DS?

thewannacryguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D lately. It's a good game and the content restoration patch is great but it feels uncomfortable playing on the 3DS. The screen is smaller than I'd like it to be and the low pixel density causes jagged edges beyond hope from anti-aliasing solutions but my biggest complaint is the controls. I have giant hands and the New 3DS XL is too small for me. It's fine for turn based games but games with real-time interaction don't feel right. I'll finish playing it, but this is the last time I play a real 3DS; Citra with a game controller will make most games feel much better.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D lately. It's a good game and the content restoration patch is great but it feels uncomfortable playing on the 3DS. The screen is smaller than I'd like it to be and the low pixel density causes jagged edges beyond hope from anti-aliasing solutions but my biggest complaint is the controls. I have giant hands and the New 3DS XL is too small for me. It's fine for turn based games but games with real-time interaction don't feel right. I'll finish playing it, but this is the last time I play a real 3DS; Citra with a game controller will make most games feel much better.
How? with citra there are still a few glaring issues opposed to the 3ds console. Sure some might be better, but it aint no reason to scrap the 3ds completely.

thewannacryguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
How? with citra there are still a few glaring issues opposed to the 3ds console. Sure some might be better, but it aint no reason to scrap the 3ds completely.
A higher resolution, bigger screen and proper game controller will address my main issues with using a real 3DS.

I don't use Citra yet. I tried it once and it ran at about 10fps on my shitty computer. But I will get something better in a year or two. At that time Citra will be more developed, and there will be more HD texture packs available. Most of us don't have a 3D monitor which does detract from the overall presentation but I think Citra is still a net gain over a real 3DS.

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a long time I kind of stopped playing my 3ds. That was until I decided to home-brew it. Now I play it all the time and I love it. Doing this to my 3ds really got me back into playing it since now I can play older games as well.

Reactions: NoSnake221

glencoe2004

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon USUM and Persona Q 2 alone are why I still play it, let alone the other three dozen games I have for the damn thing

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Not still - finally.
I get an 3Ds XL and a New 3DS XL a few Months ago......
NOW I play and enjoy this really great Device with 3DS/DS Games and Emulators too.
(many,many Thanks to @KleinesSinchen -
She "recommended" this Video Gaming Device to me until I finally got some.THANK YOU very much.:bow: ).

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I still play on a 2DS every now and then, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, etc.. I also have fairly big hands, so the 2DS is actually great, I can't stand using any 3DS for extended sessions because the size, but the 2DS fits comfortably in big hands and doesn't feel weird because of how it's thicker on one side than the other, meaning you get a firm grip unlike thin devices like tablets or large phones.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yep, and I doubt I'll discard it anytime soon, really.

1. Still a ridiculous amount of great and highly praised titles I haven't played yet
  2. Games are much cheaper than on Switch - with Switch, I can usually afford 1-2 titles a month (if any, depending on my other financial needs), so when I get bored of my library and can't buy other stuff I want, 3DS is a good substitute for a while.
  3. All sorts of useful homebrews - not only emulators, but even just stuff like blue light filter, which makes for great pre-sleep sessions.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After one Year of Mourning...
Maybe it is Time for a new One ? :)
Nah, not really.
I mostly used it to play Smash and Gameboy games.
No, really.

I also used it to paint digitally with Colors! 3D, but now I'm using my lap and a Wacom Tablet, so I really don't cry for it.

It'd be nice to get another one, but I think that I would never use it.

Reactions: Alexander1970

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
No, not any more. I started playing MM3D on it for the first time over the summer and was enjoying it, got about 1/3 of the way through the game but just haven't picked it up since. Before that it had been quite a long time.. I think the last 3DS game I bought was Luigi's Mansion 2 at its launch. It's not a bad system but if you wanted to play 3DS games, Citra improves the experience in every possible way and makes things outright more enjoyable - although without a laptop you'll lack the portability. I don't use handheld consoles much anymore, but I wouldn't mind a Switch... otherwise my PSP gets the attention but I can't find its charger right now :(

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I do. I have tons of games I want to play through on it, I also have a handful of DS games I never got around to beating... Most of the time I'm using it for emulators, gone through the entire library of numerous consoles by now; to test them out, keeping the enjoyable games and deleting the rest.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ehhh. Yes. I still play with all of my consoles. The modern attitude is a little disturbing in my opinion:
  • System ‘X’ is some years old → Sell/ignore/ditch ‘X’ and exclusively use the newY
  • Beat a game → Sell/ignore/ditch game.
This never made sense to me. I enjoyed Super Mario World in the 1990s and I enjoy it now and this won’t change. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time 3D when it was new and this will never change either. Of course, having many consoles and games limits the time you can spent with each thing… but ignoring one because of the other? Nah!

Same with this slogan:
“[…] has not aged well.” (for example used for N64/early 3D games). My opinion about a console/game does not change because of technological advancement. Low polygon count, low pixel density and all that stuff does not matter as long as I have fun playing. And better looking new games don't spoil any older ones for me.

The 3DS family has a special place in my collection being the last handheld system I will ever get.
(It’s enough now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: