Hardware do you hate that Nintendo not going to do decaited handhelds anymore.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
nope, its a home console with a screen on it, its way too big and has too little battery to be useful as a portable, handheld? sure, portable? no
It's still a dedicated handheld. Obscuring the USB-C port with a dock doesn't make it "not a handheld". It's poorly designed, that much is correct, but it's both a handheld, since you can hold it in your hands and play, and a portable, since you can play it independently of a display and power source while on the go. It satisfies the requirements for both, it just happens to have the option to connect it to a TV and power supply.
That necro tho. 4 months.
I do what I want, call the cops, honey. :V

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's still a dedicated handheld. Obscuring the USB-C port with a dock doesn't make it "not a handheld". It's poorly designed, that much is correct, but it's both a handheld, since you can hold it in your hands and play, and a portable, since you can play it independently of a display and power source while on the go. It satisfies the requirements for both, it just happens to have the option to connect it to a TV and power supply.
I do what I want, call the cops, honey. :V
as i said, its a handheld, but that does not make it a portable, its bigger than the PSP 1000 and that was already bearly a portable, sure, if you deatach the joycons you can put the tablet in one pocket and the joycons on the other, but i dont remember the 3DS XL asking you to split it in 3 parts to fit in your poket

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's very selfish of me to say but I kind of hope there's some kind of 3ds successor for the pure fact that I absolutely adore dual screens and glasses free 3d. (as well as being able to easily fit into my pocket)

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
as i said, its a handheld, but that does not make it a portable, its bigger than the PSP 1000 and that was already bearly a portable, sure, if you deatach the joycons you can put the tablet in one pocket and the joycons on the other, but i dont remember the 3DS XL asking you to split it in 3 parts to fit in your poket
You're right, it only required you to fold it in half. The word "portable" implies one thing and one thing only - you can take it wherever you go. A laptop is a portable too, size doesn't matter so long as you can carry the device around.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You're right, it only required you to fold it in half. The word "portable" implies one thing and one thing only - you can take it wherever you go. A laptop is a portable too, size doesn't matter so long as you can carry the device around.
a laptop isnt a handheld though, its not in the same category as either of the 2 consoles

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are ultraportable laptops which are best for commuting and there are workstation laptops that bump up the speeds when plugged in and are indistinguishable from a really good desktop then. the Switch is like the latter.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the 3ds way better than the switch. I think the controllers are way too small, the games too developed, and the idea lazy. I don't know. It's just not the same for me.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch isn't the most mobile console. I do think there's a good chance there wont be a new game boy anytime soon, but at the same time, if nintendos next console isnt mobile at all (itll probably be VR), then there will be a new gameboy.

Reactions: AdenTheThird

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There are ultraportable laptops which are best for commuting and there are workstation laptops that bump up the speeds when plugged in and are indistinguishable from a really good desktop then. the Switch is like the latter.
thank you, the switch is the workstation laptop of handhelds

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch isn't the most mobile console. I do think there's a good chance there wont be a new game boy anytime soon, but at the same time, if nintendos next console isnt mobile at all (itll probably be VR), then there will be a new gameboy.
YES Game Boy 2 should totally be a thing!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel like Nintendo exaggerates the portability and handiness of the Switch.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it would be interesting for them to bring back the gameboy as a "2DS version" of the switch that doesnt have detachable joycons
pfft.

Bring back the Gameboy Micro, make it slimmer and more keychain friendly, and load all the good Gameboy/GBC/GBA games on it (with some connectivity ability for multiplayer)

They might just do that next year, after they finished relaunching the NES Classic.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
pfft.

Bring back the Gameboy Micro, make it slimmer and more keychain friendly, and load all the good Gameboy/GBC/GBA games on it (with some connectivity ability for multiplayer)

They might just do that next year, after they finished relaunching the NES Classic.
making the gameboy micro even smaller is possible, but you know how uncomfortable playing anything on that would be? it would be fucking horrible, that said i wouldnt mind it being gameboy micro sized or even as small as the SP as long as its comfy enough

Reactions: AdenTheThird

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the only handheld console that I really ever wanted... Never cared for PSP\Vita neither I ever wanted one.

The first handheld console I ever had was 3DS, but only because of the 3D screen, I never liked it much, neither most of its games (barely used it its still like new and with GW) ;).

Switch is the one that have the feeling of having something like a X360\PS3 portable I just wished it had more games, since its from Nintendo I bet it won't ever have anything like Forza or GT which would be crazy in portable, Zelda looks cool but its too much for me to be able to play it outside, I just can't focus on a heavy game outside my house...

But if more things like Wolfenstein II keep coming, hell yeah this is a dream come true 4 me. Hope the Next Gen handheld will look exactly like PS4, that would be awesome on something with the size of SWITCH, but 4 me PS3\Xbox 360 kinda graphics on portable are pretty damn fine.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
making the gameboy micro even smaller is possible, but you know how uncomfortable playing anything on that would be? it would be fucking horrible, that said i wouldnt mind it being gameboy micro sized or even as small as the SP as long as its comfy enough
Yea. As long as it doesn't cramp my fingers or strain my eyes (too much!), I'll play it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a laptop isnt a handheld though, its not in the same category as either of the 2 consoles
Wow, and I though the "gaming device" distinction floated in earlier Switch related conversations was odd.

Of course. But I can't see everyone bringing their Switches to school to play before the bell instead of their 3dss, for instance.
Do they do that around you? Looking out over school playgrounds here I see a sea of phones and tablets where I once might have seen gameboys and a DS or three, or indeed nerds in the corner playing computer games while others, or maybe still a time when people were heavily discouraged from bringing electronic devices more advanced than a calculator into school -- end of day, end of week or maybe even end of (half) term being when one discovered would be returned.

olixus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo will release a new switch in a few years or possibly a new console.
Nintendo have dominated the handheld console market for 30 years there home consoles were decent but Nintendo are better at making portable/hybrid consoles.
Btw I can fit my switch in my pocket I just put the tablet in my pocket then put the joy cons in the 2nd pocket easy!

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will release a new switch in a few years or possibly a new console.
Nintendo have dominated the handheld console market for 30 years there home consoles were decent but Nintendo are better at making portable/hybrid consoles.
Btw I can fit my switch in my pocket I just put the tablet in my pocket then put the joy cons in the 2nd pocket easy!

...You still must have big pockets. The thing is still huge.

Reactions: guily6669

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.