Hardware do you hate that Nintendo not going to do decaited handhelds anymore.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch isn't Nintendo's "permanent" console nor is it a replacement for the 3DS family, so I'm not sure I see the argument here
Nintendo also said they weren't getting rid of the Game Boy Line, and I doubt many would actually miss the Wii series of consoles in retrospect.

Knowing Nintendo's history, the Switch is very much Nintendo using their dominance on the portable/handheld game system market to try and re-create success for the main console market. We kind of already saw them trending toward this when most first-party WiiU games seemed to want to have the GamePad of it be the primary point of attention, rather than the TV the console hardware was connected to.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow do people still believe Switch is anything other than a handheld?

The wonders of marketing
You can connect it to a TV and play it in docked mode with better performance. That's one reason right there.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is no guarantee that they're done with a separate handheld system, and they've claimed that there may be a 3DS successor. So I don't think we're really in a place at this time to feel anger over there being no more dedicated Nintendo handhelds after the 3DS, as we simply don't know that is the case.

Having said that, should the 3DS truly be the end of the dedicated handheld support from Nintendo, this is what I'll miss: the glasses free 3D, the benefits that a second screen right below the top main screen brings, and the convenience of a handheld that protects itself with its clamshell design coupled with how it truly can fit in your pocket (full disclosure though, I never traveled around with my 3DS in my pocket, it was always in a case that I'd put in my backpack).

While those features will be missed (though I don't see why a future Switch successor couldn't also have built in glasses-free 3D for handhled mode, that feature doesn't necessarily have to die with the 3DS), they don't outweigh the positives of Nintendo shifting all focus to one system that can be either portable or played on your TV. If this is the route Nintendo indeed goes, it means the merging of all their great games from their handheld tier with all the great games from their console tier, which means Pokemon at home or on the go, fully 3D epic Zelda adventure on the go or at home, the reintegration of series like Fire Emblem back to the home console market while still being playable on the go. Series like Ace Attorney and Professor Layton that were only really on handheld systems (With a few exceptions) now still available there, but also on your TV. Etc. Etc. I could go on and on. Furthermore, this means your portable system has great analogue sticks and not a circle pad and C-stick nub.

Ultimately if it truly is the route Nintendo goes down, I'd be just fine with the 3DS being the end of the dedicated handheld tier from Nintendo, because the Switch (and I assume its successors) more than satisfy my handheld gaming needs as well as my home gaming needs.

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I would instantly buy a handheld only switch with cost savings and/or quality stuff like increased battery.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can thank cell phones for that.....
Providing viable competition for handheld games after Sony and Sega hosed it up?

You can connect it to a TV and play it in docked mode with better performance. That's one reason right there.
Does that mean by dint of the super game boy and to a lesser extent the GB player the GB and GBA were too?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Providing viable competition for handheld games after Sony and Sega hosed it up?

Does that mean by dint of the super game boy and to a lesser extent the GB player the GB and GBA were too?
Competition? Have you seen what's in the phone games section nowadays? it's so full of skinner box fueled, barely-a-game garbage that any insurance agent worth their salt would have written it off as a lost cause. Phones were never going to have the full experience that a proper release on a handheld gaming system, let alone a console or PC would get to have. The only reason it continues to exist is because of banal idiot parents letting little jane and joey rack up 5-figure debt thinking they're playing something cool only to be pay-walled over and over again.

Super Game Boy, the GB Player, require a stand-alone console before any of them can work. The switch does it without the need for anything extra that wasn't already packed in the box when you buy one new. Even though part of me is angry that nintendo had to make it proprietary to output video through the USB-C port, knowing that it would stifle the ability to capture directly. They can't seriously expect us to believe the Switch has enough power to broadcast or record live gameplay to an SD card, that's likely already over-full with the game data to begin with.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a lot of dross in phones, no argument there, and your little rant cover many of the worst excesses. Trying to filter it out is a pain if you are not going by reviews on some site somewhere. Lot of good too however and I am not willing to write something off because it got a bit of shovelware.

I don't know if I would do the in box distinction. Both are active extra electronics which allow a measure of extra functionality and that would be my distinction. On the flip side something clocked a bit higher because it is being powered is not a great distinction either.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course I don't hate it, Switch is a better portable than 3DS hands down. Full-size dual sticks, local multiplayer on a single console (even as a portable), better triggers and detachable controllers. Not to mention a much larger 720p screen and modern graphics.

Last edited by Xzi,

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
All hail lord Switch. No but without kidding, yes I am so glad this transition is finally here.
In the past we always had the situation where our home and portable game would be massively different.
And dont get me wrong, I loved playing on the GB, GBC, GBA and the initial DS line but the leap between was quite big.
Even now with the Switch and the 3DS ... it's still apple and oranges when it comes down to possiblities.

Going to one system is GREAT for us gamers. And even more the older lot of us, who have to claw and scratch to get some gaming done due to well basically life.

It's also the step Nintendo more or less has to take. This way they will get third party support to a decent level again.
But also add to that they are the lead portable platform. Companies can not neglect that.

So yes all hail lord Switch.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't. I hated to have to buy two consoles to play all the Nintendo games.
This unification is the way to go. I think it is the key for the success of the console so far.

I'm pretty sure sometime in the future they will release a cheaper version with an smaller screen, no detachable controllers, no dock functionality, etc.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure sometime in the future they will release a cheaper version with an smaller screen, no detachable controllers, no dock functionality, etc.

That's good thing because I prefer first version since its better for an adults than a next cheaper version with a smaller screen, etc. It will be suck but good for the kids.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I hate that Nintendo are not doing home consoles anymore. I don't want an tablet connected to my TV, I want a console. I feel like the mobile/console hybrid is the worst of both worlds. Too big to be truly mobile, too under-powered to be a decent console.

Last edited by Obveron,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I hate that Nintendo are not doing home consoles anymore. [snip] too under-powered to be a decent console.

While I am not necessarily inclined to argue against the things brought up in your post have Nintendo made suitably powerful/easy to code for consoles since the gamecube (and if we consider storage limitations and industry trends then maybe post SNES)?

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Switch is a dedicated handheld with a TV Out and detachable controllers, you're getting upset over nothing.
nope, its a home console with a screen on it, its way too big and has too little battery to be useful as a portable, handheld? sure, portable? no

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: