Hacking Do not update your Switch and find a 1.0 if you can

D

Deleted User

Well, the WiiU is about 3x as powerful as the Wii. The Switch is slightly more powerful than an PS3.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do. I bought the Switch for Zelda.
Same. Considering the line up back in March, I never planned to update past 1.0 whatever happened as long as I could play Zelda.
Thing is, people say why hold out, use a PC or WiiU for homebrew etc,, well I do already but the Switch appealed most for HB due to its increased processing power over WiiU, the ergonomics and portability.
I'll buy Pokken if the need calls, and for now I'll have to hold off on Mario but I'm hedging my bets it'll be worth the wait.

Last edited by snoofly,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wow youre an idiot, why mention wiiu when im talking about power/portability here
show me a console as powerful as the switch while being portable at the same time
The Switch is not a console, it's a tablet with attachments, and yes there are plenty of tablets and hell even cellphones more powerful than it. The main thing the Switch has going for it is Nintendo first party titles, and sticking on 1.0 effectively rules that out which was my original point in the first place.

BTW, both the GPD Win and PSVita are better suited to portable homebrew and have infinitely better built in controls too.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is not a console, it's a tablet with attachments, and yes there are plenty of tablets and hell even cellphones more powerful than it. The main thing the Switch has going for it is Nintendo first party titles, and sticking on 1.0 effectively rules that out which was my original point in the first place.

BTW, both the GPD Win and PSVita are better suited to portable homebrew and have infinitely better built in controls too.
lmao
the switch is a tablet?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's almost guaranteed that Nintendo will update the old (2015) Tegra chip to something a bit more powerful in a year or two. There's way too much hype around here for such an early vulnerability. The real fun will come when the Switch Pro gets hacked in 2020.

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying a Switch to keep on 1.0 is the most retarded thing ever. There are plenty of cheap, and more importantly, open devices out there that are better suited to homebrewing, why sacrifice a mainstream console to do so? It's almost as bad as getting a PS4 to keep on 1.76.

It's not if your a collector. I have a new PSP on 1.00, o3ds on 1.00 and a Switch on 1.00.

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
Just update your damn system and play some games already jeez. 99% if the newbies on this forum are probably already wetting themselves thinking this will been an exploit run to pirated games.
This's gbatemp not gamefaqs lol !why anyone would be here if he's not interested in hacking progress?

Reactions: adilucky3

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just update your damn system and play some games already jeez. 99% if the newbies on this forum are probably already wetting themselves thinking this will been an exploit run to pirated games.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons to want homebrew.

A lot of us want it for backing up game saves, either for editing or transferring to a new/updated console, with emulators and backup loading being a bonus.

Do what you want with your damn system, and stop telling others want to do with theirs.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do what you want with your damn system, and stop telling others want to do with theirs.
This post literally is telling other not to update and im saying to do so, you have no right to tell me what I can and can not say if it's not going against the rules. Yes I wish the best for the progress on homebrew but this is a little too ridiculous. As I said threads like this are gonna just create more and more leading people to think they can pirate games and play emulators right away.

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you have no right to tell me what I can and can not say if it's not going against the rules.

First, this entire thread is warning people not to update, not telling them. People are free to do whatever they want.

Second, I never said you couldn't say what you wanted to, and if it came across that way I apologize.

Third, anyone who takes 5 minutes to do some research will know that we can't do anything right now. You won't stop these threads from coming by telling them to update.

We were warned not to update past 3.0.0. Some ignored the warning, now they'll be waiting longer for homebrew. This is just like that warning.

Let others do what they want with their console.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what are the patched vulnerabilities on 3.0 that really set it apart from 1.0?
And would these effect developers or end users? (Well assuming both at this point, but idk.)

I'd assume it would just be more difficult to launch applications but that's it.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But what are the patched vulnerabilities on 3.0 that really set it apart from 1.0?
And would these effect developers or end users? (Well assuming both at this point, but idk.)

I'd assume it would just be more difficult to launch applications but that's it.

One issue is that if no Devs have a 1.0 console then maybe nobody will be writing software around the exploits targeting 1.0. One dev or a very small group of devs may be the only ones targeting that firmware and it may happen that they just dont have the time or resources to pull off regular releases and some shit just may not get ported at all to 1.0. Not saying that will happen, but it is very possible.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One issue is that if no Devs have a 1.0 console then maybe nobody will be writing software around the exploits targeting 1.0. One dev or a very small group of devs may be the only ones targeting that firmware and it may happen that they just dont have the time or resources to pull off regular releases and some shit just may not get ported at all to 1.0. Not saying that will happen, but it is very possible.
That's kind of what I was jumping to as well but idk if this will create some kind of wall with what 1.0.0 consoles can do and 3.0.0. Like installing applications with a CFW.
The 3ds kind of had the same problem where you could only run Homebrew exploits on certain consoles, get cfw, or not at all.

So either there will need to be more time put into development for these new firmwares 2.X - 3.X or 2.X and 3.X will just be completely left out on hax.

Frysenberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One issue is that if no Devs have a 1.0 console then maybe nobody will be writing software around the exploits targeting 1.0.

Maybe the whole idea is so that you can go to 2.X-3.X at any time if a vulnerability arises for those. You can always update to a higher firmware, but you can't downgrade.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the whole idea is so that you can go to 2.X-3.X at any time if a vulnerability arises for those. You can always update to a higher firmware, but you can't downgrade.

That you can always upgrade but can't downgrade is clear to most and was mentioned several times already in this thread. Keep in mind that there is apparently only one (not particularly common) cartridge with the 3.0 upgrade (so far) and if almost everyone is targeting that firmware another shitty situation that isn't particularly unlikely is what happened with Cubic Ninja. A game that was going for like $7 or $8 bucks (used) suddenly was being sold for $40 or $50 because it was fairly obscure and needed to install CFW/Homebrew.

I'm not saying any of this will happen or if it does it will be insurmountable. The crowd thats working on this stuff has it together pretty good, they like to share and are fairly organized. I have no doubt that the Switch scene will rival all of the Great Homebrew Scenes of the past one day.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: For clarity/brevity
Reactions: Frysenberg

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I highly doubt a 1.0 switch will make any difference, If anything is released with smhax it will be available with 3.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c