do non-english native speakers preefer translations or games in english?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like my games in the easiest understandable way possible, which is english since i'm american. But more specific would be american english. The words of our culture would best be easy for me, which some localization groups who publish games like akasys, working designs, pqube and some others do well, while some others may not do as well, most of it due to lack of experience and not asking for help on the matter even though we know there is plenty competient and dedicated people out there like the ones i mentioned who sole purpose in the industry is localization projects and still probably refuse to ask for help.

While i can't honestly say for sure the truth there is few instances where it was the case, like The snes release of breath of fire is published by square soft (Square enix) at the time, due to their experience in localization in USA that capcom didn't really have especially with RPG games and ones require more story. So is just how the localization is handled. I accept localization as the reason why we sometimes get games and don't, but censorship is also the reason why we don't games and do sometimes as well. Both play a part in the situation but has is own place.

I think people hate censorship cause it removes content when being localized, which players feel is not right or fair, between regions, while it just depends on the situation. The laws are in place and should be acknowledge and respected, otherwise we don't get something we could have. Localization helps the process involving censorship. But only if done right can it do well internationally. While some games do not have good localization, for some reason, there is ones that do and acknowledge for it.

While all that is interesting, i prefer the way that easily allows me to understand things without using much effort. There is times were i play japanese games with no translation or guide, to completion, knowing the story is important, but i can't read it, which is fine, is about the game, if i am entertained enough is doing the job right. I just hope we can see more uncensored localizations in the future. :unsure:

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I even feel lost learning number, weeks days and months names/order on another languages (not that I know much languages but it usualy the first we learn if we get classes)...
Being a native speaker I can not add so much. Though I might wish to investigate the relationship between French dubs, which are held in country and by what I have seen too to be pretty good as these things go, and acceptance of things there, obviously contrasting with where they are less than stellar.

That said some might be interested in reading the articles on http://www.loekalization.com/
We usually link that up for game related translation discussion but it feels relevant here. Guy is a professional game translator for things from English or Japanese to Dutch and has written some good stuff related to it all.
Loekalization sounds funny :v but he looks amazing XD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I even feel lost learning number, weeks days and months names/order on another languages (not that I know much languages but it usualy the first we learn if we get classes)...
Seems relevant at this point

I think people hate censorship cause it removes content when being localized, which players feel is not right or fair, between regions, while it just depends on the situation. The laws are in place and should be acknowledge and respected, otherwise we don't get something we could have. Localization helps the process involving censorship. But only if done right can it do well internationally. While some games do not have good localization, for some reason, there is ones that do and acknowledge for it.
What laws? Many things are internal regulations cooked up on whims (see much of Nintendo's offerings) and some places even pointedly have few regulations in this area. Also see things like the hot coffee thing for GTA and how dissonant it feels with what goes on film and TV, or are games really that scary and potentially corrupting.

Beyond that you mention some of your language preferences in previous rants and reviews of games and they intrigue me somewhat. There is a thread of readily followed logic running through it but it is not one that most working in creative type endeavours have to deal with (others reading I mainly picked up on proper nouns and maybe a lack of clarity to a surface reading being one of the dominant features).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to ESRB, PEGI and CERO laws, the ones that determine rating for the games we play in our country, yes the "Laws" are made mostly on whims that most people will outcry about is sad that sometimes we do not get the full picture and by that i mean complete product, uncut, and uncensored. While that i feel is bad in some ways, some others may not as localization makes what is considered necessary changes to allow games to be sold internationally in markets. I was just saying some reasons why most people may not like censorship or localization.

I honestly dunno how some fan translations actually do the project, if is any different than professional studios, but there is two ways i know people have done translations, one way is for people to directly translate word for word each meaning into the language, which is not good, considering that most jokes or references is some bad translations. Because if the game is for example in Japanese, it uses mostly japanese references and jokes, and simply translating the word to english text may not get proper results as player may not understand the context. The idea i guess would be to actually understand the plot of the game then rewrite a new script for the international languages that adda the references into their own culture that allows them to easily understand clearly with no confusion. Which is the second way people has known to do translations or Localizations. Mostly why some characters names, references, jokes and presentation of it is important.

(I don't consider my statements rants, but i guess they seem that way to some people, so i can blame myself for not conveying them correctly.) :unsure:

I guess i should stop talking, I'm sorry if i upset anyone.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The debate you reference is usually called the literal vs interpreted debate, and then someone, usually an arsehole like myself, brings up samurai pizza cats. Much blood has been spilled, tears have been shed, slaps have been delivered, mothers have been insulted, friendships have been broken and drama has ensued as the result of it. Also on context then redoing for other context is not necessarily good, also I am reasonably familiar with Japanese history, food, etiquette and culture (I would still be an uncouth gaijin but enough that it is not completely alien) so I do not need the massive footnote explaining the hierarchy/classes of feudal Japanese society and how that might influence things. Even without all that I might play a game, read a book, watch a film... to maybe learn a tiny bit about another culture.

On getting it but only if some puritan that would never have played it either way gets to stick their nose in first then I am afraid I will have to go with stand tall or don't stand at all. I would rather have something nice than watered down.

Also I in no way intended for rant to be taken as a negative word. Also try not to worry about upsetting people, that way madness lies.

I seem to be linking this guy a lot this thread, oh well it covers some of the things you mentioned in more depth

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I in no way intended for rant to be taken as a negative word. Also try not to worry about upsetting people, that way madness lies.
To be honest, i don't usually take things as negative, until there felt that way either by some flaw of us people, such as not understanding things which happens a lot, according to most i am constantly at the center of. For instance there plenty of times i receive notices of being quoted while i do not understand reasons why, simply by reading context does not help me to understand it, but that how i am sometimes, i experessed enough that i been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, that relates to social problems and learning issues, while i do not use that as excuse i do feel partially responsible when i know i am, and need time to think or re evaluate the situation, simply continuing to go through with it, may lead to more upset outburst and fustration i try to avoid but some cases people do not understand and press me on the matter until is over.

My whole point was i simply like to understand things with as low effort as possible and while i sometimes have to spend hours playing a game or playing it over many times over until i do or remember it all, is a struggle for me. When games become confusing in my own language, i dunno what, i'm at a lost for words, is it the translators, is it the language, or is it just my intellegence level? I tend to explore these reasons, but i sometimes just don't always understand alone which is why i ask questions, sometimes i need to have someone who is willing to convert information to the point i can understand it, as the level of things for people to comprehend is all depending on person and not everyone understand it the most common convey way.

There is times where i sometimes wonder how the game experience would be like if i was to play it in japanese, while i can learn it and then try it, is something to consider but i doubt is important. I dunno many things and what i do know is things i experience that sometimes is not always considered suffienct to speak about particular topic depending ont the person.

Anyway i dunno if i wanna say anymore i felt i already lead this the wrong way. :unsure:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so as I can see, I'm one of the few rare people who's been pissed off as a kid, due to the fact that pretty much everything in north america was in English only. I'm not joking, I started to see games with multiple languages around 2003-2004, anything before that was English releases only, and if I wanted to play in French, I had to be lucky and grab an European version :(

Even NDS/Gamecube/Wii (yes, even Wii!) Sometimes were part of this bullshit.

US release before 2005-2008 -> Likely to be English only
I was really pissed off the day I began to play NDS ROMs on a flashcard, and discovered that the games I played and (painfully finished, teenager me was really bad at English) actually existed in my native language (which is French, sadly).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so as I can see, I'm one of the few rare people who's been pissed off as a kid, due to the fact that pretty much everything in north america was in English only. I'm not joking, I started to see games with multiple languages around 2003-2004, anything before that was English releases only, and if I wanted to play in French, I had to be lucky and grab an European version :(

Even NDS/Gamecube/Wii (yes, even Wii!) Sometimes were part of this bullshit.

US release before 2005-2008 -> Likely to be English only
I was really pissed off the day I began to play NDS ROMs on a flashcard, and discovered that the games I played and (painfully finished, teenager me was really bad at English) actually existed in my native language (which is French, sadly).
One question, is french a common language in canada?

Also Just wanted to point out Donkey kong country 2 snd 3 both has multiple languages. English and Francies, some ps1 games like bust a groove had spanish language. :)

Phantom64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
platform/plot-less game/Paper Mario Sticker Star; in English
A game like Kingdom Hearts or anything with a complicated plot? Damn, my native language. \:

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
One question, is french a common language in canada?

Also Just wanted to point out Donkey kong country 2 snd 3 both has multiple languages. English and Francies, some ps1 games like bust a groove had spanish language. :)
Not "common" just located to one place.

also, yes there were exceptions, I know that :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not "common" just located to one place.

also, yes there were exceptions, I know that :P
I would understand if the country has commonly known for french language to have french translation, but i dunno what to say to be honest, is like here in america, schools teach spanish, I guess in japan they teach english, and so on, i would think it would be the reason why as to perhaps some places feel the needed language helps to get jobs or maybe more requirement due to relations and interactions considered primamry in some instances. During school yeasrs (ages 5-17) or whatever, schools just didn't have a choice in what sub language you wanted to learn, you was just given one. It would be much later you would have to decide to go learn another when you have free time. :unsure:

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would understand if the country has commonly known for french language to have french translation, but i dunno what to say to be honest, is like here in america, schools teach spanish, I guess in japan they teach english, and so on, i would think it would be the reason why as to perhaps some places feel the needed language helps to get jobs or maybe more requirement due to relations and interactions considered primamry in some instances. During school yeasrs (ages 5-17) or whatever, schools just didn't have a choice in what sub language you wanted to learn, you was just given one. It would be much later you would have to decide to go learn another when you have free time. :unsure:
I'm not complaining anymore though, I understand English very well :P
It was another story, 10 years ago.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not complaining anymore though, I understand English very well :P
It was another story, 10 years ago.
I know but still you made a valid point that interested me, although early stages of games didn't always have multilanguage select, until some games like on Gamecube, ps2 xbox era, where the game would just sometimes support language of system settings in some cases or games will just have multilanguage settings in game but still with region lock would not make as much sence in some case.

Never mind is not important. Still is a thing i wonder sometimes, even though i didn't have to, since most games was english mostly, just some had japanese options, like why unless the game is region free is no reason to have that. Not that i can see from my POV.

GearCross

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I play games in English... Though I am surprised that recently I've been seeing games in Portuguese (Portugal), but I still pick English.. Mostly because I find it weird to play in my native language and I've been using English for games and watching cartoons since I can remember.

Lately if I can, I pop the audio to Japanese (specially if the original is so, resorting to undubs if needed), since I've been learning it, so it kinda helps, whilst keeping English subs. It's surprising as well on how good Japanese dubbing is on non Japanese games.

Also,it was common to see around here players using Spanish when Portuguese was not available, specially with the younger audience given how close both languages are.

Reactions: VinsCool

GreenLink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I play almost every game in English because English sounds in my opinion smoother than German and because a lot of German translations are not very good...
Sometimes characters act different in another language, e. g. Tetra from WindWaker is a lot more cheeky in German.

Last edited by GreenLink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare