ROM Hack disassembling ARM9 files

monkmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

This might be a super noob question, I've used search and all but couldn't find anything helpful.
How would I go abouts in disassembling an ARM9.bin file into readable ASM code?

I realize that the ARM9.bin is compressed LZ, so simply opening it up in a hex editor wont do.
I've also tried via IDA pro, but haven't had any luck yet
frown.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
What your saying makes no sense the ARM9.bin isnt compressed in LZ77 only sections of the game are eg the graphics maybe text aswell and IDA PRO should be fine for disassembling the ARM9.bin

monkmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm are you sure?

I'm just going by what I learned through parasytes posts in the mario kart DS thread on another forum, he mentions
this

"You can extract the executable binaries and disassemble them directly, but they will be in a mostly-ineligable format with no section lists and0 possibly compressed code/data."

This is exactly the problem I'm having when I try to disassemble directly via IDA pro, I get non legible asm code... my guess is due to the compressed data

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
monkmar, You mis-understood parasites post, "You can extract the executable binaries and disassemble them directly, but they will be in a mostly-ineligable format with no section lists and0 possibly compressed code/data.", basically means you can disassemble the ARM9 binary but sections/parts of the nds roms will be compressed but neither the arm7 or arm9 binarys have any compression used on them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-