Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So. Was looking on Craig's List, and I came across an ad selling a PS3 (phat) with a broken laser for $40. For that price, i thought what the hell. I drove over and picked it up, then returned home and hooked it up using cables I had lying around. I had to reset the video setting to make it work on my SD TV, but I got it to boot to the No HDD Found screen (Because the previous owner salvaged the hard drive. Bastard.) Mmkay, cool. I leave, and when I try turning it on again 5 minutes later, wouldn't you know it... It YLoD's. Eh, wasn't expecting much. It was cheap. I'm not driving back to return it for $40.

Suggested course of action? I should pick up a cheap HDD, but the YLoD will probably persist. And I have no idea of the state of the Blu Ray drive.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe if your lucky the warranty is still valid which I highly doubt.

Just get a hard drive, repair it yourself or get it repaired by a company or person that specializes in it.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there is always a reason if there is a console for sale at such a cheap price. it will cost alot of money to get the console working and will probably always have issues. i'd just dump it and cut my losses......................................sudeki300

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about several repair services for Ps3's are like 140 to 60 USD. Sure your probably better off spending 150 USD for the warranty from playstation most of the time but in Canada it might be more expensive.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@sudeki
Remember it worked several times first, and gave me picture after I changed the video settings. I doubt it was YLoD'ing with the original owner.

Mmkay. I'll see if I can get a cheap/free HDD, then try to do a YLoD fix.

ThetaSigma10

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SATA drives really arent hard to come by
tongue.gif

I bought my CECHC (PS2 software compatible) for 50AUD from a dumb friend. It had a hard drive, but the laser was broken. works fine so far, heats up bloody quick though.

al5911

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
OP, is it BC phat? If it is, then I think it'll worth the buck you spend to fix it (if not more than $100). 2.5" sata hdd is really cheap nowaday that shouldn't give you any problem.

As if you repair it, use a premium thermal compound to the GPU/CPU if possible. IDK about changing the stock cooling fan for the hi-perf one but I did saw some where they said it is possible.

Good luck m8.

Eddieh1979

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Playstation 3 off of Ebay that was listed as "broken". It was a 40gb model that had the YLOD issue. I found this online repair shop called "gophermods" and they repaired it for 70 bucks. I had it repaired 6 months ago and it has still been working fine and running cool ever since. They use a really expensive machine to reflow the motherboard accurately and evenly, then they apply arctic silver where necessary. They also have a 24 hour maximum hold time so you won't have to wait a month to get your system back. They guarantee their work and will fix it again if it breaks, but I haven't had to worry about that yet. They will even fix consoles if they noticed you tried to fix it first, but they won't guarantee their work in that case since there is no telling if you caused more harm than good. You can even talk to them over the phone and ask questions if you wanted to. I was happy with their work and if you don't feel brave enough to fix it yourself, definitely look into this company. Their site is gophermods.com. good luck

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
al5911 said:
OP, is it BC phat? If it is, then I think it'll worth the buck you spend to fix it (if not more than $100). 2.5" sata hdd is really cheap nowaday that shouldn't give you any problem.

As if you repair it, use a premium thermal compound to the GPU/CPU if possible. IDK about changing the stock cooling fan for the hi-perf one but I did saw some where they said it is possible.

Good luck m8.
Wanna hear a funny one?

I used some ubercheapo thermal paste ($1) and my PS3 worked for 6 months. Then it did YLOD again. This time I used Arctic Silver 5 ($10), and it YLOD'd after a month
rofl2.gif

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Try baking the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes, then put everything back together. If you need thermal paste head over to Radioshack with $10. This got an extra month of life out of my 60GB before it died again. With all the key leakage recently I'm about to do it all over
biggrin.gif

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
synce said:
Try baking the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes, then put everything back together. If you need thermal paste head over to Radioshack with $10. This got an extra month of life out of my 60GB before it died again. With all the key leakage recently I'm about to do it all over
biggrin.gif

hum just to say thats there is no radioshack in canada in canada its the source

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
Just buy your self a new ps3 because its more worth it

That just seems studied since repairing it cannot be that hard sometimes and a repair site will repair it for like 60 up and even if they cannot repair it some sites will buy it for parts and sell you a refurbished one with warranty.

Also buying a new ps3 might still cost sony money not sure so your better off repairing the current one and save sony some money.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Yeah why don't well all buy 2 or 3 PS3s... It's not like some people have bills to pay or more important things to spend money on
tongue.gif
Besides Sony doesn't deserve anyone's money. Their monthly firmware updates often brick consoles and add no functionality (I was a victim once, but thankfully found a way to unbrick it for free).

Anyway I re-baked my PS3 today and now I'm back on MGO... Waiting for the homebrew now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up