Hacking Dios Mios: Gamecube with out disc in USB Loader GX

Karpador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to play GameCube games without the disc in the disc drive because it's slowly dying on me. For the sake of testing, I've been using Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. my 1TB external hard drive is formatted FAT32 in 32K and so i proceded to install Dios Mios 2.2 via wad manager. After Starting up the newest USB Loader GX i inserted the disc and ripped it to the Hard drive. started up the game and no problems... except the disk was being read- i could hear my wii. i removed the disc and i got "Fatal error apploader size is zero!" so i tried putting in the wrong disc and all the loader will do is load whatever is on the disc. I noticed that there was a DML no disc fix in the loader settings but there are no changes whether it's on or not.

Edit: Well i think I'm right when i say you can't usb load GC games with USB loader GX so if someone could help me in doing this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it loads the disc instead of the ISO, it means you made a mistake in the setup/settings/version you are using.

If you use DIOS MIOS 2.2, then you need to tell the loader that you have 2.2 installed (the version is not detected).
Go to Settings > Loader Settings > DIOS MIOS version : set 2.2+

If you don't see that option, then you don't have the "newest" (never say newest or latest on something which has a lot of version and release everyday, someone reading your message tomorrow will not have the same version as you, give the real version number).

Karpador

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sorry about that. Well i have 3.0 r1180 and it says there are no new updates and i don't the option you are talking about.

Edit: it seems there's 1201 or something but ill edit again if i have any luck finding it

D

Deleted User

I've been having the same problem, did you manage to fix it in the end? If so, how?

I'm using CFG Usb loader, however I also have USB Loader GX installed, if I could get it to work on one/both that would be awesome.

FIXED:
On CFG Usb loader, it turned out I was about 35 revisions behind (When I had actually updated it 2 days ago, so, the dev must be working hard!)

Go to update on CFG USB loader and it should have a list of revisions and versions, if it doesn't, you are on a very old version where updating is no longer supported, in that case, manually download the latest version. Then it should be able to update. (I guess the Dev screwed up with the old version :P)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, he managed to fix it by using the latest beta and setting the version manually.
you need r1201 of USBLoaderGX, or latest beta of cfg loader (auto-detect the version)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
14MB?
1201 is officially released here and is only 5MB with all versions too : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xqm7m5duu9r5t22
unless some users can't use Mediafire to download files.

but 1201 is already old ;)

here is a better one (1201 mod9): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5tikymmn0uqad3a
only in version IOS249

Mod9 fix devolution launching, and has DM(L) version detection, you don't need anymore to choose 2.2+ in the loader settings.
Note: Auto detection doesn't work with Hermes v4.

kingryan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cyan, i just hadnt seen any download links in a while that were actually up to date. What exactly is this devolution launching problem?

P.S. The reason the file is bigger is that it is the full usbloader gx not just the .dol file, and it also has the .wad and forwarder files. Perfect for those who dont already have an older usbloader gx. :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you made a wad of 1201 yourself?
it's not very good idea, as it break the auto update (to v3.1 when it will be available), which should download a wad for installed channel users, and a dol for the forwarder/HBC users.

If you didn't build the "Channel build" before injecting the dol in the wad, then it will be the normal loader and not the channel loader.
it will download the dol and place it on SD, but it will never be loaded by the channel and the user won't understand why.
Users will be forced to update their channel with a wad manager on next release. (not a big problem, just that it break the auto update ;))

Devolution problem was that USBGX didn't read the game region correctly, so the video mode was always set to PAL (unless the user forced NTSC video mode).
It made lags problem in refresh rate (50/60Hz), and wrong displayed colors.

The latest beta with all three IOS version are always available on the issue thread on googlecode.
But we are making a channel wad only on official release.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allow me to highjack your thread.

I have looked everywhere and could not find information regarding if i should have a Wii disc inside or a Gamecube disc inside when i try to run DM/L.
Everywhere i look, it is only said to have a disc inside. Can someone tell me?

Thanks

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time, you'll be fine with no disc in the drive at all.

However, if NoDisc does not work for a certain game, I believe either type of disc is fine, though my first instinct would be to use a GC disc.

kingryan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what the package has is a .wad for a forwarder to the usbloader gx so that it doesnt take up as much space on the wii memory, but you still have a channel to click on the wii channels. That doesnt break the updates does it? especially if you click update in USBloader gx? Also, thanks for the great information and such quick replies. I appreciate the detail you put into explaining it all. Also, when i went to the google code I didnt see the download link for the latest beta, which is why i figured i would post it so others could get ahold of it.

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone shed some light for me.....
I understand to place the loader.bin and set custom path in settings, but what is the correct format for the ISO's for devolution to read thru USB Loader GX?

Should they simply be placed in the 'games' folder named as ID6?
thanx

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The "NoDisc" setting is not used anymore since DIOS MIOS Lite 1.0, Thanks to an improved coding it's now always skipping the Disc access.
Except for Streaming games which are still requiring a disc in the drive (any disc, Wii or GameCube, or I suppose even a DVD/audio disc). these games need to make access to the disc, and if there's none present it returns an error.

@[member='kingryan']:
There are two kind of channels: Full channel or Forwarder.
The full channel (labeled UNLR), installs the loader on the Wii. When you select "update" in the loader, it downloads a new wad and install it, replacing the old one on the Wii.

The forwarder channel (labeled UNEO) redirects to the SD or USB and load the boot.dol file located there. When you select "update" in the loader, it downloads a new boot.dol file and replaces the one currently in use on SD or USB.

The beta are not linked on the main page, as they are not for the end users, but for beta testers or users who agree to take the risk that things might not work fine, and could delete things (config, etc.)
If you want the latest beta, it's on google code on the "Issue" tab, look in the first issue named "[Beta]". At the bottom of the page you will always find the latest beta linked there.

replace that boot.dol with the one on your SD or USB, and launch from HBC or forwarder.

@[member='fatherjack']:
The place for devolution is the same as the place for DIOS MIOS. (the one created when you dump the game yourself).
If GX see the game, then you can launch it. (MIOS, DM or Devo, doesn't matter).

currently (as of r1201), GX doesn't detect Disc1 and Disc2, so for devolution you need to place the games like this:

Disc1: SD or USB:/games/title [ID6]/game.iso
Disc2: SD or USB:/games/gametitle.iso

"gametitle" can be anything. Devolution checks all iso located in the /games/ folder to find the Disc2

I'll add proper disc detection later in GX.
It will support paths like that:
Disc1: SD or USB:/games/title [ID6]/game.iso
Disc2: SD or USB:/games/title [ID62]/game.iso

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all.

I'm in need of some help

I got USBLoader GX 3.0 rev1208 installed to my fat32 usb hdd

I installed Dios Mios 2.10 and inserted game cube game Mario sunshine it copied to the hdd no problem
But I can not launched the game with out a disc in the drive.

I have read in then posts above to go to settings - > loader settings and manual set Dios Mios version to 2.10

In my USBLoader gx I have a settings that says '' Game cube Mode '' and it's set to Mios (default & custom). Other option available is devolution

I am not seeing where this option is to select the version of Dios Mios is

Thanks for your help in advance

**Update**

I updated USBLoader Gx 3.0 to rev 1212

When I got to credits I do see the Correct USBLoader GX I installed and for Dios Mios it says 2.6.1+

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the option you are looking for is not available anymore.
You read/replied to an old thread, which talked about features from an old version of the loader.

The loader is now auto-detecting the version of DIOS MIOS, you don't need to change it manually in the setting.
There are revision 1218 if you want to update the loader even further.

If mario sunshine doesn't work without a disc in the drive, then always keep a disc in your drive. it's not like you need that disc in your hand when you play games.

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my drive in the Wii that I want to use this on for the kids is dead, so im using my brothers wii to dump all my kids discs to the HDD and then run it on their system. so running without a disc is a must for this situation.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can't even put the disc inside?
if the drive is dead (not only the lens), most games won't work as they are checking the drive's presence.
Maybe you can find a drive replacement (or a full wii in working condition) cheap, people are selling their wii to buy WiiU and newer consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo