Digital downloads vs. physical copies of games - which do you prefer?

digitalphysical.jpg

Buying a game is easy and it's getting easier - but the age old question remains - digital or physical?

When it comes to purchasing a game, given the choice, should you opt to buy a physical copy of a game or purchase it digitally for an instant download? What are the pros and cons of each? Does it make a difference?

While digital games are no doubt the more convenient option, that "purchase" comes with an enormous amount of fragility attached to it. What if the publisher revokes the game from the storefront? What if the game is has DRM that can affect performance? Is the purchase even a true purchase or is it a lease of a service? Let's not forget that all too often we're seeing games removed from digital store fronts due to licensing arrangements. We've even seen games being changed at a moments notice with soundtracks being edited, or replaced entirely, as rights expire. And what of service games - they can be shutdown remotely if the game underperforms rendering the game unplayable.

Then you have physical media. While unlike days past, even physical media can carry some questions when its merits. Day one patches that prevent you from playing the game without updating the title; disc-based consoles cost more; mandatory internet connections or account registration can be a thing; and what of the environmental impact? And let's not forget that inevitable disc rot!

Publishers are even thinking up ways to make physical ownership less attractive - you only need to look at the plans by Microsoft during the initial Xbox One reveal where physical disks, once used on a console were then digitally tied to that system and unable to be traded or resold without going through hoops and paying a premium to do so.

At the end of the day - does it even matter? Should video game ownership and preservation be a concern for the average player or should the purchase be seen as the equivalent of a theme park ticket - a temporary thrill with no regard for the future?

And what of piracy? Is there a merit and legitimacy to breaking DRM and illegally copying games when it comes to video game preservation?

Let us know your thoughts below.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I prefer physical over digital.

But when the game is really cheap I've fallen for it. There are so many good games worth playing that will never be released physically that I've had to get them digitally.

Reactions: Skelletonike

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy games digitally because I'm not afraid I won't be able to keep them, but I have a dvd/bluray collection because streaming's no certainty

Reactions: Dud

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a toss up depending on medium for me disc based games i prefer digiital or legal backkups cart/card physicall mainly cause hoow BD'S Store data on multiple layers so one bad scratch and the disc is worthless, cant resurface BD's like dvd//cd

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kinda depends for me. if I know I really am going to love a game chances are I'll go physical just for the sake of collection purposes...or if it's cheaper is another reason. I go digital when it's just a spur of the moment kind of purchase or it's a game that I would want ready at all times...so multiplayer stuff. oh boy, I want to play mario party or smash, time to sift through my game cart case for the game rather then just hitting A

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical is becoming more pointless these days due to updates/dlc. The only purpose would be resale or honestly... the cover art.
When I collect physical though, I tend to only collect cartridges.

It's not the same thing as say... music or video, where you're losing on quality if you buy digital.

xScarYx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I prefer to have a Disc/Cartidge. Because of the "u dont buy, u license" bs. finally EU Gov is working on Laws to threat Digital Stuff as same Physical Stuff and Services. Some small changes are already made, its not perfect but i hope they finally solve this issue someday. im still also a bit baffled that noone took them to court yet for false advertising etc. They clearly state everywhere that u buy the game (and not a license).
but i also never had issues with anything on Steam and my account is from 2004 :)

LibreNyaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
librenyaa.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I used to like digital only, but as I've seen more and more games just disappear from the internet or get taken off of shops, I've decided to get physical releases from now on.

I usually end up saving a bit of money too from getting them physical, I'm not really a collector, so I don't mind getting them used.

Dud

Cheesehead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get easily paranoid over having physical copies. Since my physical library is full of older, cartridge-based games, I worry about the hardware aging and eventually not working anymore. Or writing/reading/re-writing saves on carts that I spent a lot of hours on, only for it to go kablooey. The same goes for console discs, especially the PS2. My slim likes to make scratches on the DVDs/CDs, and I've had a few cases where it isn't able to read them thanks to it. Although emulation will always be a thing, it isn't the same as using the official hardware.

I can totally see why others would prefer physical, especially with newer games being "licensed" instead of "owned". For me, though, I suppose it depends on the platform and media in what the game is on when it comes to physical.

Reactions: Wolfy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tend to go with both based on my budget and the best prices. If a game is on sale in a digital market and I can't find a lower price in physical, then I am going with digital. I also tend to go digital because I don't care to carry too much around with me if I don't need to.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Dud and Wolfy

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern discs are useless in my eyes. The fact that most games are only there to show you have it and then download the game from the internet where depending on your internet connection can take hours or even days hurts to think about. I've been buying retro games for a couple years now even before Corona, and it only gets easier to justify( other than multi-hundred dollar games like Gotcha-Force and Cubivore for the Gamecube ). It's nice to just play and not worry too much after you've done initial setup for older consoles especially. Having to use various adapters or connectors just to get a reasonable picture from some consoles is definitely a turn-off for some, but I still prefer it over emulation. Case and point, controllers. Emulators get more and more user-friendly to the point where you can use most OG controllers with them depending on the emulator and adapters needed for them. The only real advantage for emulation I see is upscaling and just all around better support for quality of life stuff like widescreen and graphic settings. Albeit amazing pros, I've still had a good amount of issues trying to get emulators all set up for friends coming over rather than hooking up a console, plugging into a display, popping in the disc and then enjoying our time.

Although a quick digital download for games too obscure/expensive/exploitable on newer consoles is something I still commit to Okage Shadow King for PS4 and Sonic Fighters for Xbox which I have never actually checked what console it plays off of and how much it'd be to get. It's just easier sometimes.

Reactions: Dud

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Physical for console / handheld games since console makers tend to shutdown there digital stores after each generation. And I do not buy games which need zero day patch to complete the game (as download). Digital for PC games, since I trust Steam not to shutdown any time soon.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been all digital on the switch when we thought I had Parkinsons, and i was afraidof dropping the system or cartridge. I used to drop my controller several times per stage. Now, it's more a matter of convenience. I have nearly 200 games. My switch has so many games on it, because I didn't own either of the two other consoles.

On the series x, I've been all digital since the gold sales are usually pretty good. I'll get some discs eventually.

Anyway, my main system is now the ps5, so multiplat games are usually bought for that. I have several digital and discs, and i buy whichever is cheapest. That's why I've been all digital up to now with the series x.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Nowadays digital only, because I only play with my PC.
But with all the consoles that are currently collecting dust, I preferred a balanced mixture of physical and digital.

Usually when buying a physical game in my country, and it's not available in a local store(which happens a LOT), I used to buy it online.
The catch is the pure fact it could take an entire MONTH to arrive, because our country's post service simply sucks.

That being said, if PC games still had the good 'ol "put everything on a disc and install the game" and not just giving you a redeem code for Steam....I would still not buy physical.
Why? Because video games are more expensive here, and Steam has regional pricing so in many opportunities, the games I want are either cheaper or have the potential to be extremely cheaper on sales.
Game sales on physical stores....I don't think I heard of one in this country for the last 5 years.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Physical is nice as it usually looks good and at least some years ago it was still possible to lend your stuff to others and vice versa (even though usually the others oftend tend to destroy your stuff making me not ever lending them anything again)

The only things that make Digital worth is it that its fast and doesn't waste physical space.
I had to throw away so many old games and stuff every time I was moving ... kinda sad but it was necessary

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
While I see the benefits and ease of access going digital, my pick still remains on physical.
Why? Because with the digital copies you "own" you never know when that can be revoked out of nowhere. With the shady stuff that companies are doing these days and after the Ubisoft DLC controversy lately, you can never know if some day you'll be revoked of your game license "ownership".
And the second reason is that you can never know when you can remain without internet, even if it's getting more and more stable and fast in many places, there are still places where it's pretty bad, and having a game be up to 50GB+ could take up to 15+ hours to download. Or if you visit someone for a longer period of time and they don't have internet for whatever reason, and want to bring your console with you, with a disk/cartridge you just insert it, if it has to install, wait for 5-10 minutes and done.

But on PC I go with digital too. Steam never let me down since I started using it 13 years ago and don't think it will in the near future.

So for consoles, I choose physical, for PC I go digital.

But in the end, the most important thing is to enjoy your media no matter on what it comes on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch