Did Piracy kill the PSP?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If piracy killed the psp, what killed the vita?
I heard a pretty good theory about that. Among other things, the specs killed the vita, making the console expensive and making development costs high, it was marketed as a handheld with console quality games, but due to the lower price of handheld games vs console games, and the high cost of the console that meant there were fewer owners, there was not enough profit in making high quality games for it.

So because of that, early on it ended up with not enough 3rd party support, and devs not willing to invest money to make high quality games for it, and Sony continued to neglect it in areas where it could actually generate a lot of profit (for example backwards compatibility PS1/PSP games)

For these reasons and others, it was doomed from the beginning. it's possible Sony could have turned the tides if they had invested enough in it early on, but they failed to do so, and once it had gone on for a while while being neglected, it was too late to do anything about it.

I wish I could find the video that explained these things, as it did a very good job of explaining the reasoning, but I can't seem to find it now. It was linked here on GBAtemp a while ago.

Reactions: Nightwish

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I traded my Vita and o3DS for my n3DS XL Hyrule edition to GameStop :P Given that I hadn't used my Vita since it updated and killed my PSP CFW on it, it was an even swap :P The Vita had a lot of hype and cool features, but it was kind of like the DreamCast in that, it had all those possibilities, but no one knew how to actually use them. :P

As far as the PSP....From Wikipedia...

The system was released in Japan on December 12, 2004,[9] in North America on March 24, 2005,[10] and in the PAL region on September 1, 2005.[11]

Nothing killed the PSP, it's just dying of old age! :D

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you're not a pirate, you're just hacking your hardware.
piracy specifically implies that you pirate your games.
pirating games means not paying for things you get.
I have 2 64g sds with cias. A terabyte full of games for my wii. Another terabyte with movies, music and such. A modded ps3. Still have an original xbox running xbmc with a 100g internal hdd, over a hundred xb games and a several emulators with complete rom collections. every game on my pc and android is cracked. Is that good enough?

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 64g sds with cias. A terabyte full of games for my wii. Another terabyte with movies, music and such. A modded ps3. Still have an original xbox running xbmc with a 100g internal hdd, over a hundred xb games and a several emulators with complete rom collections. every game on my pc and android is cracked. Is that good enough?

you dont have 100 xbox games on a 100gb drive. I have all those consoles u named besides android modded/hacked,I bet you just download for fun.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you dont have 100 xbox games on a 100gb drive. I have all those consoles u named besides android modded/hacked,I bet you just download for fun.
I didn't always have the hdd in it. It took forever to figure out how to format and lock the drive with the mobo key with a softmod. Most of the games are burned to disc. The hdd is primarily for the dashboard and emulators. Then I use samba for video streaming from my home lan.

Rinnen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For the PSP,I kinda think it was the opposite.

But for the Vita,sadly it's really dead right now.Even if it gets CFW and Piracy someday,there's not even much stuff worth it.
Unless you like weeb stuff,there's lots of it.
Really liked Gravity Rush and waited for the sequel,but Sony fucked up again(Remastering for PS4 and no GR2 for Vita).

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What killed the vita was that sony made the hardware to expensive to create games for... atleast that is what I heard, Also sony killed the psp not piracy by not supporting the damn thing at all, during the first half of its life including cfw it had tons of games but sony just dropped all support for it. Yeah it might have just gotten an update last year, which was for brandish only.. and due to how cracked it is, it was bypassed in 10 seconds.

Reactions: Nightwish

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What killed the vita was that sony made the hardware to expensive to create games for... atleast that is what I heard, Also sony killed the psp not piracy by not supporting the damn thing at all, during the first half of its life including cfw it had tons of games but sony just dropped all support for it. Yeah it might have just gotten an update last year, which was for brandish only.. and due to how cracked it is, it was bypassed in 10 seconds.
The homebrew devs supported that system. I remember before we got the Pandora battery, when we were still going through the update/exploit war, any new features devs came out with Sony put in the next update. Like zinga of endless paradigm created tools for making themes when we were all bricking our psps trying to format icon images custom wavs, then the next official fw had themes. Shit like that.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The homebrew devs supported that system. I remember before we got the Pandora battery, when we were still going through the update/exploit war, any new features devs came out with Sony put in the next update. Like zinga of endless paradigm created tools for making themes when we were all bricking our psps trying to format icon images custom wavs, then the next official fw had themes. Shit like that.

Darkalex was on point back in the day,i wonder what happened to him. Now we have clowns running the show on the new consoles.

Reactions: Nightwish and WeedZ

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, D_A was the man, the psp would have been a much lesser of a system without him, his cfw and pandora where amazing to behold, I remember modding my 1000 and 2000 back then... Those were golden times imho for the hacking scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How Roms Try Helping? +1