thehritzinator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ive been apart of the wii hacking community for a while now, and i would like to actually write a program.
What do I need to get started? What programming languages can I use?

I know Java and I have heard the wii doesnt support that. Is that tru?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Learn C++ or C. Most apps seem to be in C, but C++ works fine too. Also, there is a Lua interpretor, which is a scripting language, which is easier to learn than C/C++. However, I don't know how well developed it is (i.e. it may only have a few features implemented or whatever).

All you need to install is devkitPro and you'll have all you need to develop some basic apps. Look at the examples and understand them, and it should be fairly simple to develop some basic apps with a little C/C++ knowledge.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Go to C:\devkitPro\examples\wii

open an example and mess about
tongue.gif
You can also get many open source apps and play about with the code. I'd advise if you can get your pc and Wii close together, use WiiLoad or similar to send compiled apps to the hbs for quicker testing.

If you could maybe post what ideas you're thinking of doing then people can help and explain where to get similar source and how to edit it to fit your needs.

If you would rather learn from the ground up, then read, read and read as much info as you can on WiiBrew, C tutorials and also well commented code.

codemii the site http://www.codemii.com/category/wii-programming-tutorials/ has some good Wii coding tutorials too.

thehritzinator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
Go to C:\devkitPro\examples\wii

open an example and mess about
tongue.gif
You can also get many open source apps and play about with the code. I'd advise if you can get your pc and Wii close together, use WiiLoad or similar to send compiled apps to the hbs for quicker testing.

If you could maybe post what ideas you're thinking of doing then people can help and explain where to get similar source and how to edit it to fit your needs.

If you would rather learn from the ground up, then read, read and read as much info as you can on WiiBrew, C tutorials and also well commented code.

codemii the site (it's down just now) has some good Wii coding tutorials too.

Thank u! I eventually wanna make a mp3 player and basic games, i realize these r already made, i just wanna see wat i can do

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!