Hardware desktop wifi adapters?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just playing around with an old desktop I have and installed crunchbang, and then realized I need internet for it to be useful. Where it's set up does not have access to a wired connection, but wireless works fine.
I need to buy a wifi adapter that allows me to connect here.
ANy suggestions on some

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For all wireless cards my usual suggestion is "find a card that works with WEP/network hacking" and get that, it applies especially with Linux, though it is doing well these days as far as ndiswrapper goes, as it usually means fully open source drivers are available and you are not depending upon the whims of the card maker or ndiswrapper people to keep you supported. If you need one that does serious range then get the one in the line with big antennas that also does WEP cracking and the like. Most of the time this meant getting atheros gear, right now some are not favouring them for various reasons and there are a few more options beyond that.

Unless you are particularly pressed for USB ports I am not seeing too much benefit to going PCI card these days outside of crazy specific network environments, and if you have those crazy requirements you are probably not going to be using wireless.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How old is your old desktop? What OS?

If it's really old, say Win98 or earlier forget it, it will be more hassle than it's worth.

If on the other hand your idea of old is a 5 year old desktop running Win7, that's gonna be fairly easy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

If it's really old, say Win98 or earlier forget it, it will be more hassle than it's worth.

If on the other hand your idea of old is a 5 year old desktop running Win7, that's gonna be fairly easy.

The OP did say crunchbang ( http://crunchbang.org/ ). It is a fairly barebones linux distribution but one that has a bit of a fanbase as it leans towards something like arch linux where you pretty much sort everything from the ground up but actually comes with enough stuff out of the box to be useful but still keeping very lightweight. For the sake of completeness I should say don't confuse it with the similarly named ArchBang linux, which does much the same (even uses the same window manager) but leans even further towards Arch linux's ideas and philosophies.

Anyway I probably should have also asked some questions. I assumed the OP just wanted something to go on the internet with and maybe use as a light file share (basically everything a desktop PC can commonly be expected to do). I am not sure the wireless AC standard is the way right now so "pretty much any hacker grade wireless N compatible wireless card" would have been it.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The OP did say crunchbang ( http://crunchbang.org/ ). It is a fairly barebones linux distribution but one that has a bit of a fanbase as it leans towards something like arch linux where you pretty much sort everything from the ground up but actually comes with enough stuff out of the box to be useful but still keeping very lightweight. For the sake of completeness I should say don't confuse it with the similarly named ArchBang linux, which does much the same (even uses the same window manager) but leans even further towards Arch linux's ideas and philosophies.

Anyway I probably should have also asked some questions. I assumed the OP just wanted something to go on the internet with and maybe use as a light file share (basically everything a desktop PC can commonly be expected to do). I am not sure the wireless AC standard is the way right now so "pretty much any hacker grade wireless N compatible wireless card" would have been it.

I'll check out the ones you listed, thanks :)

about 9 years old, crunchbang

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill