Tutorial  Updated

Delete predownloaded update ("Spotpass nag") [Sysnand only]

This has only been tested by myself on a small, old 3DS on 8.1, 9.0 and 9.4, but it's reasonable for this to work on any console. Feedback is obviously appreciated!

1. Completely power off your system.
  2. Boot in recovery mode (press L+R+A+↑+Power, hold the first four about 1 second, more won't hurt the system but only your fingers... ;))
  3. It will ask you as usual to update. However, it will take a little longer for the screen to come up compared to the speed it would have had if you didn't already have an update.
  4. If you click yes, the update will be completely redownloaded then installed...
  5. If you click no, it will power off and you'll go home free!

Update 2017: Yes, this is only for sysnand (although you can hack the import.db of a nag-free sysnand's internal storage onto emunand through Decrypt9 or similiar ways, check out specific tutorials), because no CFW implements the launching of emunand's recovery mode!

This is also unrelated to the forced updates for YouTube or the browsers bundled with 9.9+, and neither it resets the "update available for this app" text
on the Home launcher!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if i delete the update on my system...can i access recovery menu again?
Sure, the purpose of recovery is only one: to give your console a more reliable way of downloading and installing an update!

It just happens to have 2 "normally undesirable" side effects that however contribute to this goal:
1- If no usable network is in range, you can access network setup even if you have parental controls set and don't remember the password
2- predownloaded updates are deleted (what if they were corrupted for some reason and they disturbed the regular updater?)

Worth remembering that, with A9LH and a good CFW, there's absolutely no advantage to not updating!

kiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has only been tested by myself on a small, old 3DS on 8.1, 9.0 and 9.4, but it's reasonable for this to work on any console. Feedback is obviously appreciated!

1. Completely power off your system.
  2. Boot in recovery mode (press L+R+A+↑+Power, hold the first four about 1 second, more won't hurt the system but only your fingers... ;))
  3. It will ask you as usual to update. However, it will take a little longer for the screen to come up compared to the speed it would have had if you didn't already have an update.
  4. If you click yes, the update will be completely redownloaded then installed...
  5. If you click no, it will power off and you'll go home free!

Update 2016: Yes, this is only for sysnand (although you can hack the import.db of a nag-free sysnand's internal storage onto emunand through Decrypt9 or similiar ways, check out specific tutorials), because no CFW implements the launching of recovery mode!

This is also unrelated to the forced updates for YouTube or the browsers bundled with 9.9+, and neither it resets the "update available for this app" text
on the Home launcher!
I did the recovery update but the bar just stop moving at around 50%-60% done it wait and wait and wait but nothing can any one help me I think it soft brick I try to turn it on but black screen

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey there. So my Sysnand is nagging about an update while Pokemon Sword is running in the background.
Unfortunately i can't reopen the game. Because the Switch is doing a check if i'm eligible to start the software (why? it is even running).

But now this check can't be done, because in order to do the check the switch needs to be updated.

So i'm stuck in a loop where i can't open Pokemon to save the game.

1. Is there any other way to remove the update nag without shutting the switch off?
-I've read an post which said that under 10% there won't be an update happening does that still reboot the console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto