Definitive Guide to installing PsGroove

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials & FAQs' started by ThatDudeWithTheFood, Sep 6, 2010.

Sep 6, 2010

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    [Guide Update] Ti-84 Jailbreak

With the release of 0.06.0001 the calculator hack has evolved into a wonderful application worthy of Ti-84 users that don't even have a ps3. The file is available here -> http://brandonw.net/ps3jb/

Guide supplemental:

New features and instruction:
    Hook mode
    Desc: Hook mode makes it so the jailbreak will work even if the application isn't turned on.

Instructions:
    Do steps 0-15 above.
    16. Apps -> PS3JB
    17. Push 2 for install. That's it.

Note: You'll have to uninstall this when ever you wish to modify the Ti-84's data. Other wise it'll see the calculator as a USB Hub and fail to link up.

Payload
    Desc: This will allow the use of a payload. A payload is data that the program can forward in place of it's own activation code. Basically this means that the user can use the newest version of the Ti-84 Jailbreak with the newest Hermes without waiting for someone to compile them together. Google "HERMESv2 Payload" etc to find the payload since I'm not entirely sure if I can post links to it here.

When loading the PS3JB to the Ti-84, also put the payload files (They have a .8xv extension) onto the calculator. You can do this even if you've already put PS3JB on the calculator (Version 5 and up).

1. Apps -> PS3JB
    2. Push 5 for options.
    3. Change Stage 1 Payload to HERMESv2 (Or what ever Hermes you want to use)
    4. Push Y= to save
    5. To exit, push 2ND and then MODE

Shutdown
    Desc: Normally the calculator shuts down after 5 minutes of inactivity. This option (added in v6) changes that.
    1. Apps -> PS3JB
    2. Push 5 for options.
    3. Scroll down to "Turn off after:"
    4. This is in seconds, I suggest 30 since that's how long it takes to JB the ps3.
    5. Push Y= to save
    6. To exit, push 2ND and then MODE

Alt Firmware
    Desc: A little bit future proofing, a little bit reverse compatibility. This lets you load a firmware support optional. If you're on an earlier firmware this is your salvation. I have no idea how to use this since I'm on the 3.41 firmware.

-- End update

Other Thoughts,
    I came up with what I think is a brilliant idea. I'm going to make a png file that has all the instructions on it and then embed the hack inside the file ^-^.

• Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    I just created a Wiki page to sort all the available payload binaries for PSgroove devices.
    It started to be a real mess to find a specific version for a specific device etc.

I hope it will help many people.
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/PS3_Jailbreaking_Devices_List

Currently, it's linking to other forums or websites.
    There's no direct link to files for the moment, as I wanted to keep track to the author of the build.
    Please, if you find builds not listed yet, add it to the table.

You can also create a table for PSFreedom and PSjailBreak clones (as PS3Break2.0 use the same binaries as PSgroove)

I intend to add guides on how to install PSGroove on each devices.
    I created a first page for Rockbox devices. It needs to be cleaned.
    If you have time, feel free to help me transfer your first post guide to wiki too [IMG]

I would like a page per device, like for rockbox :
    wiki page name "PSGroove Rockbox"
    with tags [[Category:PSgroove Installation Guide]] and [[Category:PS3]]

Adding pictures and creating a layout protocol to keep each page the same design would be great too.

ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

Message Count:
    United States
    Good idea.I will try to help update it when I find out about new releases.

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The files are embedded into the file. Like my Avatar could be downloaded. It's a GIF file, yet if you rename the ext into 7z, you can open it for the files. It's an interesting way to distribute files. The idea is to make a big image file with all the instructions for the hack in a pretty layout, then embed the files into the image. You then have both the directions and the files.

Download this picture below
    Removed, because it's not needed and slows the page load for those who don't care.

Now, rename it's extension to 7z and open it. Nice huh?

Of course you can use any image file for this trick. I'd do the whole thing, but Photoshops being a bitch. It doesn't like the fact that I don't have a swap file. I'd probably do the instructions in micro dot, meaning letters at 5 pixels tall 3 pixels wide and everything is tiny and black and white. Once I get Adobe Photoshop working right I'll give it a shot.

VashTS Beat it, son

Message Count:
    United States
    can anyone point me in the right direction to get rockbox on the ipod? im not familiar with ipods really, but i want to get this done with my cousins ipod 5g video. every time i connect to the pc (win7) the rockbox installer says its not an ipod or it doesn't recognize it. specifically it says the partitions don't match. the ipod is in disk mode, says right at the top of the ipod's screen.

if someone can point me to a proper installation of rockbox that would be awesome, or let me know what i am doing wrong...thanks.

edit: i think its the wrong ipod we have, we have this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ved=0CEQQ8wIwBA
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I just updated my PSGroove rockbox guide on the Wikitemp [IMG]
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/PSGroove_Rockbox

Tell me how usefull you found it.

@VashT :
    yeah, that's definitely not the iPod video. The iPod video is this one (60 or 80Go, with large screen):
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

iPod Nano 2nd generation is not compatible with Rockbox.
    Rockbox dev team says the Nano 2g is instable, and from their beta revisions the USB support is disabled (so PSGroove can't work).

Nano 1st gen : 1, 2, and 4 GB (black or white)
    Nano 2nd gen : 2, 4, and 8 GB (black, and colored, but not white)

Ergo New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I used this on my first gen iPod Nano and after replacing the rockbox.ipod w/ the psgroove version I can no longer connect my ipod to my PC at all. (Windows will not detect the device, period.) Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, I figured it out [IMG]
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Yeah, I wrote "use the Disk mode to connect the device to computer to access your player's files."
    I'll add a warning at the installation part too, with more explicit words.
    edit : done.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    OK, I finished my package file.

Removed, due to it sucking...

Inside that image is almost everything any one would need to turn their calculator into a jailbreak device. The only thing missing is the Ti-Connect software because it's too big.

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Message Count:
    United States
    Will this work for winrar, because I tried renaming it as a 7z file (and even .rar and .zip) and it continues to tell me that the file is either damaged or in an unknown format :\

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Oh wow, this sucks.

[IMG]

Try this one. It seems google's sites trims the fat off the image to help load their pages faster. Sneaky little *uc*s.

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Message Count:
    United States
    Ah ok now it works, great job!
    • Newcomer

pak101 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    Thanks for the article. I was able to homebrew my PS3 using my N1, was not able to SU hence i used the alternate method. But I am stuck with other problems, please help if possible:

1. I downloaded a game from the internet, how do I play it on my PS3?
    2. How do I take backup of my games onto the harddisk?
    3. How to take backup's of BD movies?
    4. Is it possible to connect my ps3 to the computer and use it as a BD-ROM drive?

i know i have asked too many questions. Answer only if possible, questions mentioned in order of priority.

thanks in advance.
    • Newcomer

pak101 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    After rebooting my ps3, Install Package Files has disappeared, should i be doin the hack everytime i need to play backup games?

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes you do need to do it every time.
    • Newcomer

pak101 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    Thanks, I realized I will have to do the hack everytime, i made little progress after I made the last post. I am able to see the games in the Backup Manager and in Open Manager (I am just connecting my external harddisk, also I used Comgenie’s Awesome Filemanager to copy the folder frm my external drive to the local drive, but I am not sure where to copy it to).

Now when I launch the game, it resets and loads to XMB, not sure what is happening.

2. How do I take backup of my games onto the harddisk?
    2. Like PSN games? Currently you can't, but why would you want to?
    - I meant the game from my Disc, I figured it out after looking at Open Manager.

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Why did you quote all of that?

If you have backup's enabled, go to your game disc in the menu, or if you're using a newer payload like hermes, use the other folder besides "install package" that is also added to the menu with the jailbreak. Use Open Manager, it's nicer than the one that was originally released.
    • Newcomer

pak101 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    I am not sure if I am using the hermes payload. i am able to see other folder besides "install package", but when I run that it says an error.

I liked the Open Manager.

Kayot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, you'll probably have to recompile the source to enable backup loading first. Then find hermes payload. It's gonna be tough, but if you [censored] Google you can do it. I don't have an N1, so I can't write a guide on it. Sorry.
    • Newcomer

pak101 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    Thanks Kayot, appreciate your efforts. I guess it is going to be a daunting task for me. Let me try anyway.