Homebrew ROM Hack Defeating Devolution

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The DS3 should just work after you launch a game and connect it over USB, then iirc press the PS button to pair it.

If you want the other options though you should use a loader like USB Loader GX (otherwise you'd have to recompile it to change the options).
I tried again and succeded. After pairing the DS3 by pressing the Ps Button, I've just had to press L1+R1 at the same time. Then I unplugged my controller and I could play from my coach. I think just this feature alone justifies your work. Thanks.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution wasn't made for people like you, it was made for people who actually buy the games they want to play.
Entitled pirates like you give the homebrew scene a bad rep. Devs are fully in their right to do whatever they want with their creations, if you don't like what they made then go ahead and make something better. People whining about or begging for stuff like this has turned devs away from the scene many times in the past. This behavior is the real cancer.
Pearl clutch harder. Piracy is cool and I hope that all games are able to be pirated, no exceptions.

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution does have 480p and 576p forcing as options.
It also has a screenshot feature. If you direct your browser to the Wii's IP, you can download a 640x480 image of what's on the screen, IIRC.

I could be wrong but I don't believe that Devo writes data to the Wii remote. I didn't fully RE that section, but I believe it's a hash of some serial/other unique info only present on 1st-party Wii remotes (includes Wii Motion Plus remotes).
When people tried to validate games on a Wii and then use Devolution on Wii U, they usually had to not only bring the Wiimote along but also the SD card. If you copied the image and DVV to another SD card, the DRM check would fail. Devolution also seems to verify the game's TOC against the DVV every time you boot, so you can edit individual files in the disc image, but if you replace files with new ones that are a different size, it changes the TOC and trips the DRM, too.

bobmcjr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also has a screenshot feature. If you direct your browser to the Wii's IP, you can download a 640x480 image of what's on the screen, IIRC.

When people tried to validate games on a Wii and then use Devolution on Wii U, they usually had to not only bring the Wiimote along but also the SD card. If you copied the image and DVV to another SD card, the DRM check would fail. Devolution also seems to verify the game's TOC against the DVV every time you boot, so you can edit individual files in the disc image, but if you replace files with new ones that are a different size, it changes the TOC and trips the DRM, too.
Yep, the screenshot feature is pretty cool.

Out of all the DRM data sent between the Wii and the DSP, I did not see any metadata looking at the exact SD card/USB drive you were using.

What likely was tripping up people on other SD cards/USB drives is that Devo cares a lot about the FAT attributes the DVV files have, which probably get lost when you copy the folder. They must be read-only and hidden. I believe they also should be not-archive, but I forgot on that one.

It does read a bunch of data from the disc to check it against the DVV, yes. Didn't look into exactly what, but for me it doesn't really matter.

Would be cool to see a more proper Devo decompilation at some point to actually remove the DRM entirely, but the DSP stuff is gnarly.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
there is no mic performance issues on nintendont lol the most it can happen is you dont start the game with the mic attached to slotb, becuase for some reason some mics make nintendont not start the game, you attach it after the game has started and it works fine.

Also all games work fine with memory card emulation.

the only advantage devolution has imo is more wireless controllers and such because the rest is just meh.

Also many games were never tested on devolution because people didnt had the discs, so the compatibility on devolution could be a surprise on some problematic games that were never tested.

Also does devolution make games have less framedrops, not sure how devolution runs but nintendont can get you a very good boost on more demanding games, not sure if devo locks the processing power or something.

So the only thing that makes Devolution superior is the Wireless controller support? If that's the case why wasn't it ever added in to Nintnedont?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So the only thing that makes Devolution superior is the Wireless controller support? If that's the case why wasn't it ever added in to Nintnedont?
becuase no one wanted to do the work? nintendont is an open project if anyone was to modify the bt code to add random bt controllers to work its open for it.

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

bobmcjr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great but someone really needs to crack Riivolution now. Another outdated piracy check on that too I believe.
Riivolution's source is available though, and people have tried to compile it but encountered issues (although tbh it's probably devkitPro updates breaking things as usual, maybe people should try an older DKP).
I guess you could "crack" Riivolution to allow burnt DVD-R's, but I don't see much use in "cracking" Riivolution. The FS patching code would need to be ported to a custom IOS/USB Loader for it to really be useful, and that's a large task.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Riivolution's source is available though, and people have tried to compile it but encountered issues (although tbh it's probably devkitPro updates breaking things as usual, maybe people should try an older DKP).
I guess you could "crack" Riivolution to allow burnt DVD-R's, but I don't see much use in "cracking" Riivolution. The FS patching code would need to be ported to a custom IOS/USB Loader for it to really be useful, and that's a large task.
Yes its the FS code i meant :) The final piece of the puzzle for usb loaders that can basically do everything else already.

Reactions: pietempgba

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does the Wii even have enough memory to do both USB loading and FS patching at the same time, for some reason I don't really think the Wii would be able to handle it.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is great but someone really needs to crack Riivolution now. Another outdated piracy check on that too I believe.
Riivolution is already open source. It would be better to crack something like CTGP-R since it's likely that will never be open source and its creator is one of those old ass curmudgeons who thinks that Wii Disc Drives are the only acceptable way to play games.

Mikef1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>>It would be better to crack something like CTGP.

Yep, the only wii disc I keep in the drive always.
I think it's like that to keep people from using the usb loader's cheating functions.

Mike

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
>>It would be better to crack something like CTGP.

Yep, the only wii disc I keep in the drive always.
I think it's like that to keep people from using the usb loader's cheating functions.

Mike
I think CTGP has dedicated anti-cheat designed to block gecko codes and crash if you try to bypass it. They could've also just made their own loader like Project+ , really their only sound reason is that they are old school curmudgeons who strongly believe in Disc loading like tueidj, who is somehow still relevant here considering they didn't want to post a compiled cracked version or decompiled source code, seriously stop kissing up to him already he's gone even if he wasn't he couldn't do anything except whine and complain.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just sent them to you via pm, since you couldn't get them to compile. they're untested.
Any chance you could send them to me as well? I attempted and docker just wouldn't function properly for me. I'd appreciate it. I'm just trying to see if a gamecube style controller I have that doesn't work with nintendont will give me some results with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch