Broken Wii power button

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I recently acquired a Wii console with a broken power button and I'd like to fix it and possibly sell it afterwards. Turned out that the actual button on the board got separated from it and was moving around inside the case. I'm wondering if it would be possible to solder it back to where it was before and if there's a tutorial on that available somewhere? I have no soldering experience, but it could be as good as time as any to give it a try (it's a bit too tiny for a beginner, but I might be able to pull it off with proper guidance).

Regardless, there are still a couple of way to boot the console without the power button with its eject button, Wii Remote or by inserting a disc (or tricking it, at least).

Thank you for your time. If necessary, I can post some pictures as well.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You should get a feeling for soldering by trying on some scrap boards.

If the solder pads have not been ripped off the board it should be no big problem.

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If the solder pads have not been ripped off the board it should be no big problem.
They... probably are, I'm afraid. I've attached some images so that you can check it out.

Attachments

• 20231231_190427.jpg
    20231231_190427.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231231_190707.jpg
    20231231_190707.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231231_190846.jpg
    20231231_190846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The 3 bent finger-like are broken of the switch & can be removed by de-soldering them. That part of the board looks good.
The end stabilizers pin-like would be the greater work-load. Not sure if they go fully through board (I doubt it). But cleaning it out for a new switch replacement could be harder. A solder vacuum/sucker would be great.
Not sure if switches are easily found these days.

The other option - You can just wire the pads to be on permanently & use the power button from a switch board or wall socket. It wouldn't make a good selling point though.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol