GBAtemp Exclusive Decades of Games Later, Stickers Still Suck

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Dec 5, 2017.

1. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    140 quid for snes mini? I hope you didnt actually buy that scam?

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You think stickers are bad, remember magazines with posters inside of them? Way too much trouble to get out without damaging it, those metal staplers and sometimes glue... I rather get Japanese wall scrolls :glare:

3. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    the problem is not making them, but placing on the boxes!
    Like I said, for (some) here they don't made a way it damage the original box haha

how is a work like this?

WhiteMaze likes this.
  4. YoshiB

YoshiB GBATemp's resident large-eared yoshi

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    When I was a wee little boy, I didn't give a crap. I was just thinking

"newgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgame MUST PLAAAAAAYYYY!!!!"

OH WAIT

One of my hobbies is modifying nerf guns and sometimes Hasbro puts stickers in the most annoying places. You can NEVER get the damn things off and they always leave sticky goo or a huge ugly tear on the gun and it makes me sad :(

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I don't get why they don't wrap it in plastic and then put stickers on top of the wrap. Would seem a complete no brainer. Or at least for the non security stickers they could use easily remove able ones.

6. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Thank god I live in Scotland where no game store does this apart from CEX. Every store has dummy boxes on display and when you take it to the counter to buy they get you a copy of the game from the stock room that has had nothing stuck to it. They even do that with second hand games.

7. RadioShadow

RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    UK
    To give CEX some credit, their stickers come off really easily. I bought Banjo-Kazooie for £20(box was in really good condition) which had two large stickers on. I peeled them off with ease, an no damage to the box.

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    lol you're at cex. I go there too

9. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    If you buy a used game it's a lot worse. Especially when they use those big ass stickers like EB Games and GameStop use. There are some local pawn shops around here that have used and new games but use those little price stickers you'd see on something at a grocery store.

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Oh my gosh. Too many stickers on an Europe Super Nintendo Classic Mini. I have an Europe version and no sticker on it at all.

11. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well there aren't any secondhand shops here. Everybody usually sells them online so no stickers are ever used. And the few shops that are here don't sell snes, n64, nes games so it's all plastic

Last edited by kumikochan, Dec 6, 2017
  12. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Ah Electronics Boutique, fond memories..

13. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Well... collecting games seems to be nice... then again, since I moved quite frequently from place to place I prefer to dump whatever game
    (*looking at you 3DS...*) and selling the hardcopy... game boxes aren't heavy, but bulky.
    The only exception for me in that regard are GBA-Accessories... And even there I don't keep the original boxarts, other than scanning them and saving them as a jpg on my Dropbox..

While it always has a cool feel to it, watching the AVGN f.e. gazing upon his basement's glorious collection, I cannot see wanting that, too much wasted space
    (and the GBA Boxes were made from pasteboard you could easily stash away...).

On the sticker thing:
    Yup: They do suck. For collectors I guess. Shame there was so little incentive to fixing that in a better way.

Last edited by pasc, Dec 6, 2017
  14. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Land of Magical Elves (and indie programmers)
    I mean, on plastic disc cases like Wii & U, the stickers aren't that big of a deal since, as long as you're careful and don't rip it, it's pretty to get off, but on cardboard cases? A nightmare.

15. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Even on plastic cases an older sticker can rip quite easily even if you're careful. Especially with used games or things that have been on the shelf for a while.

16. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, the soon you do it, the better for sure.

17. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Just recently I tried to order a new copy of Skyrim for the Switch on GameStops website because I had a $60 gift card. Three times my order was mysteriously canceled and after the forth just failed to update with any shipping info after days, I relented and went into my local store. Of course, the only copies they had were opened with their large price sticker on it. I bought it anyway because as much as I hate this practice (which literally no other realtor does with new games) I was pretty sure I could get the sticker off without leaving residue or stretching the plastic film on the case. So I purchase the game at the register and after putting the game in the case, the employee puts yet another clear sticker over the opening of the case. While I was able to remove the price sticker alright, removing the clear sticker over the opening scarred the plastic lining on the case. I was so upset as all my other Switch game cases were in pristine condition. I eventually ended up buying replacement Switch game cases from Nintendo's website and moving the case insert and game over to a fresh case when they came in. Still an unacceptable practice today, if something is brand new, don't mess with it.

18. w!!

w!! GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2009
    United States
    Did anyone else open this thinking it was going to be about collecting folders and notebooks of various character stickers, scratch n' sniff stickers, etc.... that you don't get anymore because they are cheaply made and not packaged with stuff anymore? But yes, stickers in this regard suck too.

19. Zabhahs

Zabhahs Goron

Sep 20, 2015
    United States
    Seattle area
    i painstakingly removed stickers from my gamecube games, and even printed out a new cover for one that i had ripped under the plastic cover trying to remove the sticker. It looks fine now but i still wonder, why gamestop why UNDER the plastic? howd they even do it?!

20. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A very nice article. I'm personally not a collector in the slightest, so most of the physical cases I do have still have some stickers on them, but I get the annoyance. I mean...if video game covers are art (and I sense many here see it that way), then the act basically comes down to this sh**:
    mona lisa preowned.jpg

...and I don't think many classic art lovers would like this sort of practice. ;-)

I remember asking a store cleric this exact same question when he wouldn't refund my copy of Super Street Fighter 2 turbo. I must've been 11-14 or something at that time. :P

I know now that I should've pushed further, but I really wasn't assertive enough back then. So in the end I just pirated the game.