Decades of Games Later, Stickers Still Suck

n64snes_31.jpg
The fondest memories I carry in my years of gaming lie in the excitement of scouring shelves and pouring over box art to find what caught my young adolescent eyes. Running up and down aisles of Blockbuster and Toys R Us admiring the vibrant visuals and reading every small back of the box blurb to see what I might be taking home with me that day.

Many of us share similar memories. The long car ride home that was sometimes satiated by ripping the box open and staring at the manual that games still bothered to pack in with the disc or cartridge. Running inside and jumping right into a brand-new experience without a care in the world. Nostalgia at its finest.

The hours go by. The entertainment settles. The time comes to put the game back, maybe to play something else, maybe because you dislike leaving games in their system. And you find yourself face to face with one of two scenarios.

The wonderfully clean and vibrant box that you were given in its pristine and unblemished glory.

Or this.

hqdefault.jpg

These.

2431351-xbox-720-drm-oxcgn-6.jpg

Monstrosities.

maxresdefault.jpg

These unwavering insults to a collector’s eyes have existed practically since games have existed. The retail sticker and the security seal have ruined painstakingly crafted title cards for generations now.

I’ll never forget the day I opened my copy of Pokémon Stadium. The giant box with the game transfer Pak inside and the gorgeous artwork on every face of this lovely little cube. At least, it had been gorgeous. Until it was ruined when my fingers attempted to open it and get to the game inside.

20171205_123946.jpg

The rips, the tears, the glue riddled residue left behind is enough to make your mind crumble in on itself. Clumsy removal leads to your property, the thing you just spent your precious money on, being scarred for the rest of its existence.

I could maybe even understand the early days of games. The lack of regard for this new hobby of gaming and collection was surely just ignorance on the retailers’ part. Yet here we stand, nearly three decades later and I still have to look at this collector’s edition with a damn sticker slapped over the only way to open it.

20151014_144747_resized.jpg

We are still dealing with stickers all over our gorgeous new systems and toys.

We have YouTube videos dedicated to painstaking sticker removal. We have highly detailed wiki-how’s describing every possible method to remove them. It’s the equivalent of game collecting surgery. All these precise methods of scraping, heating, and praying that the thing comes off and leaves no trace of its damned existence.

How many classic Nintendo boxes have had to suffer rips and tears thanks to these stickers? How many collectors have cried themselves to sleep at night over the giant blemish they know will never truly leave the pretty box they have on their shelf? How much more can I dramatize this issue?

kodbb17zamqz.jpg

Not enough I say.

This industry has transformed and evolved in so many ways since it began. Generations later, and yet this primitive little sticker continues to torment us. It’s 2017 and the best solution for security and advertisement somehow still remains this disgusting, glue-y piece of laminated paper and plastic.

Will things change? Probably not, considering how cheap and easy it is to slap the grubby little thing on.

Do you have sticker stories to share? Pictures to display and lament over? You can share them.

We are all victims here.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It was never really much of an issue for me personally, because at the time games were still in cardboard boxes I never bothered to keep the boxes around (had I known how rare CIB games from that era would become I would have kept them all)

Brand new games are almost always sealed here, so the sticker comes off with the plastic wrapper, but even if they weren't, a sticker on a plastic box isn't such of a big deal since you know it isn't going to tear a hole in the artwork when you take it off, and you can use whatever methods needed to get the sticker and residue off as long as it's not something that will dissolve the plastic.

I can see why it would suck for retro game collectors though. I might be more of a collector myself if I had the money for it.
Having watched LGR's video on the topic as well as another one, it seems like it can get really bad with retro games. Especially when the games have been resold many times in retail stores, and as a result have multiple stickers on them.

Anyway, well written article, I enjoyed reading it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good article. I'm torn here because it's kind of my job to put stickers on electronics and video games - I have to, once they're tagged they need to be resealed. My general rule is to take all stickers and seals off the moment I buy something - when the adhesive is fresh it comes off easily.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait, how are you supposed to know if it's faulty and should be refunded if you can't open the box and check?
The item was already checked by staff, that's why it was opened and sealed. If you have such concerns, ask for the item to be opened at the till point, it can be resealed prior to the sale and you'll know it's complete there and then.

Reactions: smileyhead

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had a lot of Gamestop games I was cleaning up for a friend about a year ago and they all had that annoying yellow sticker on the spine. I then realized that it wasn't actually on the outside of the spine. They were actually just stuck under the plastic cover and were still on the sticker paper so they slid right out. It looks like almost all of them in the picture in OP's post are that way. The white above and below the yellow spine sticker is the white backing you peel the sticker off of.

As for stickers on the front of cases and Blu-Ray boxes, I use a razor scraper to remove as much as I can being careful not to dig the corners of the blade into the box, and then I use WD-40 to remove the rest of the leftover goo. Works great.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know this feel, kinda

for stuff like this the better way is to get a knife and cut where it hold the tabs, it let the sticker there but do damage for our the precious boxes
But here n Brazil we have something...
LIKE THIS
upload_2017-12-5_23-7-36.png

The good part is that it's outside an protective pack of plastic, so the main box are safe
This is an example of only imported games, some had " localized" that gave us a nice "sleeve" (just like japanese gamecube games) with a translation of the box and where like the game box, packed, with the sleeve outside, packed again and outside the store/shipping/stuff crazy stickers!

upload_2017-12-5_23-11-30.png

And sometimes translated manuals

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
You can request for a new stock without the stickers - usually from their in-store warehouse ;)
the ones with prices are usually those on display -- but please correct me if i'm wrong -

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I had a lot of Gamestop games I was cleaning up for a friend about a year ago and they all had that annoying yellow sticker on the spine. I then realized that it wasn't actually on the outside of the spine. They were actually just stuck under the plastic cover and were still on the sticker paper so they slid right out. It looks like almost all of them in the picture in OP's post are that way. The white above and below the yellow spine sticker is the white backing you peel the sticker off of.

As for stickers on the front of cases and Blu-Ray boxes, I use a razor scraper to remove as much as I can being careful not to dig the corners of the blade into the box, and then I use WD-40 to remove the rest of the leftover goo. Works great.
Isn't WD-40 greasy? Seems like that would leave a stain.
LGR uses Goo-Gone since it's fairly effective without being harmful to the ink or box. I'd probably use something similar to that.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Gosh, I hate stickers with a passion.
The amount of covers, and carts I damaged by removing the stupid stickers is quite disgusting. And I swear I did my best to not damage anything.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being the manager of an indie game store, I remove A LOT of stickers...

Rubbing alcohol
Lighter fuel
Heat gun
toilet paper
time

the worst are early 90's/80's stuff, the paper has fused with the glue under and to destroy these without harming the precious games under is almost an art!

Next week we'll cover proper ways to roll up cables... OMG do I get worked up over sloppy roll techniques!!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't WD-40 greasy? Seems like that would leave a stain.
LGR uses Goo-Gone since it's fairly effective without being harmful to the ink or box. I'd probably use something similar to that.
I spray some WD-40 right on the sticky part of the box and let it sit for about 15 seconds and use a paper towel to wipe it off. Most of the sticky residue is gone after a couple wipes, then the last couple spots require a little more elbow grease. When it's all gone, there is a bit of a greasy layer left over, but a quick wipe with a damp paper towel removes that and leaves a nice un-stickered final product. The only problem I've had with the hundreds I've removed is a couple times I'll get a little over zealous with the razor scraper leaving a small scratch and the WD-40 finds that scratch and soaks into it and leaves a slightly discolored section along the scratch.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I understand your pain, but let's look at it the way the shop owner sees it as:

You have 100 different games, that are in 6 different price ranges to be placed in one small shelf. What are you going to do?
Sort them by the price and put a sticker below that part of the shelf? There are thousands of shoppers everyday that re-arrange the items for who knows what reason. People will be pissed.

Wrap all the products so you can put whatever sticker you want in? That's going to be expensive and time consuming.

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The fondest memories I carry in my years of gaming lie in the excitement of scouring shelves and pouring over box art to find what caught my young adolescent eyes. Running up and down aisles of Blockbuster and Toys R Us admiring the vibrant visuals and reading every small back of the box blurb to see what I might be taking home with me that day.

Many of us share similar memories. The long car ride home that was sometimes satiated by ripping the box open and staring at the manual that games still bothered to pack in with the disc or cartridge. Running inside and jumping right into a brand-new experience without a care in the world. Nostalgia at its finest.

The hours go by. The entertainment settles. The time comes to put the game back, maybe to play something else, maybe because you dislike leaving games in their system. And you find yourself face to face with one of two scenarios.

The wonderfully clean and vibrant box that you were given in its pristine and unblemished glory.

These unwavering insults to a collector’s eyes have existed practically since games have existed. The retail sticker and the security seal have ruined painstakingly crafted title cards for generations now.

I’ll never forget the day I opened my copy of Pokémon Stadium. The giant box with the game transfer Pak inside and the gorgeous artwork on every face of this lovely little cube. At least, it had been gorgeous. Until it was ruined when my fingers attempted to open it and get to the game inside.

The rips, the tears, the glue riddled residue left behind is enough to make your mind crumble in on itself. Clumsy removal leads to your property, the thing you just spent your precious money on, being scarred for the rest of its existence.

I could maybe even understand the early days of games. The lack of regard for this new hobby of gaming and collection was surely just ignorance on the retailers’ part. Yet here we stand, nearly three decades later and I still have to look at this collector’s edition with a damn sticker slapped over the only way to open it.

We are still dealing with stickers all over our gorgeous new systems and toys.

We have YouTube videos dedicated to painstaking sticker removal. We have highly detailed wiki-how’s describing every possible method to remove them. It’s the equivalent of game collecting surgery. All these precise methods of scraping, heating, and praying that the thing comes off and leaves no trace of its damned existence.

How many classic Nintendo boxes have had to suffer rips and tears thanks to these stickers? How many collectors have cried themselves to sleep at night over the giant blemish they know will never truly leave the pretty box they have on their shelf? How much more can I dramatize this issue?

Not enough I say.

This industry has transformed and evolved in so many ways since it began. Generations later, and yet this primitive little sticker continues to torment us. It’s 2017 and the best solution for security and advertisement somehow still remains this disgusting, glue-y piece of laminated paper and plastic.

Will things change? Probably not, considering how cheap and easy it is to slap the grubby little thing on.

Do you have sticker stories to share? Pictures to display and lament over? You can share them.

We are all victims here.

Oh i hate stickers it makes only damage on my stuff
https://ibb.co/jfDBPb
https://ibb.co/bHK7xw
https://ibb.co/hn2Sxw
https://ibb.co/iEEwqG
https://ibb.co/dsh5jb
https://ibb.co/dgyZcw
https://ibb.co/b5JpAG
https://ibb.co/cuz7xw
https://ibb.co/endNVG
https://ibb.co/iFMWPb
https://ibb.co/ibxo4b
https://ibb.co/cu7XVG
https://ibb.co/ejrLHw
https://ibb.co/mdf2VG
Sry These Pictures are to big

Last edited by loler55,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait, how are you supposed to know if it's faulty and should be refunded if you can't open the box and check?

You cut the box somewhere else and open it without even touching the seal. :tpi:

It just says they won't refund you if you break the seal. There's no mention of any other part, though.

Didn't have to deal with stickers for a very long time. My purchases from Amazon never had those until now.

And when I really wanna buy at a retailer, I'd not resort to stores that handle my games as consumables rather than collectibles. Our equivalents to Walmart and Target even remove the plastic wrap (which I'm fine with being plastered with stickers) and take out the cartridges or discs, so you can get them at the service desk after checkout. Once I got an empty box of Mario Kart 64 for Christmas, because my granny wasn't aware of that. Good thing that they accepted a refund... But didn't have the cartridge anymore, so I got Mario Party instead. You know what that game does to your hands? :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or just put in on yt