Hacking CycloDS or Supercard

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, ive got a M3DSS, and its tiome to retire it.

Which is best, simple side-by-side comparison of features. what does one have that the other doesnt.

thanks in advance =]

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The feature sets are similar, but the CycloDS Evolution's interface blows the SCDS1 out of the water. The Evo's menu is fast, clean and simple, while the SCDS1's menu is slow and complicated. On the other hand, you can get the SCDS1 from DealExtreme for half the price of an Evo.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Similar, but better. There are three display modes for the file list, one of which is exactly the same as the R4; a list of filenames without icons. The other two show the game icons next to the roms, and one displays the internal game name while the other shows the filename. Everything is done on the touchscreen so you can use the stylus in the menu if you want to.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice. Is it the cyclo that has the built in ez 3-in-1 support? and if so, how does that work, and finally, is the cyclo skinned easily?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jademalo said:
Nice. Is it the cyclo that has the built in ez 3-in-1 support? and if so, how does that work, and finally, is the cyclo skinned easily?
Yes, it can boot GBA games directly from Slot 1. Yes, the Cyclo is probably the most easily skinned card.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes. In the latest beta, you just drop the games on the card and run them. Same as DS games. The exception is games that use 1024 kbit Flash save types (not really that many games, mainly Pokemon). They still need to be SRAM patched manually, but that will probably be fixed in the next beta.

Skinning looks to be fairly easy. Not quite as simple as the R4/M3 Simply, but not really complicated like the SCDS1 (the SCDS1 uses Moonshell for the menu system, so skinning it is similar to skinning Moonshell). You can download a skin or two from ndsthemes.com if you want to see how it works.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks =D

is there anything that the supercard has that the Cyclo doesnt, does the EZ 3-in-1 save backup every time you run a game and do you have to patch all games?
does it work with rumble games and the opera browser natively, is it possible to change runble settings (low,med,high)and does it have an option to load games to the PSRAM, or must it be loaded into NOR?

(i like to know what im getting =p)

DeMoN said:
Yes, the Cyclo is probably the most easily skinned card.
DestructobotSkinning looks to be fairly easy. Not quite as simple as the R4/M3 Simply

=p

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
I have both the CycloDS and SuperCard DS One.

I would have to say that the CycloDS is superior to the SupCard DS One.

The only thing that I can remember that the SC has over the CycloDS is it has Real Time Cheats. You can turn individual cheats on and off as you please.
With the Cyclo you activate your cheats before loading the game and in game you have the option to disable ALL cheats activated but not individually

Both have Real time Save

CycloDS has has in game Backlight change ability

CycloDS uses long file names for saves SuperCard uses short names

Cheat system Menu in SC is crap. 13 characters at most therefore you can't read what the entire cheat is nor can you see what commands to use if any

SC Cheat system also more complicated to setup - if a specific file is not updated with teh latest ROM info (NDSINFO.DAT) then
- You must save the SCC (cheat file) in the same directory as the rom with the same name except scc on teh end
- If ndsinfo.dat is updated then save the scc file in the scshell\cheat folder as the rom number.SCC
- SC Team rarely update teh ndsinfo.dat so you rely on JMR from the SC site to complete this

CycloDS Cheat system is like the R4 etc and easy to read and use

CycloDS runs more smoothly in the menu system

CycloDS has GBA support from slot one - like M3 Real but without RTS for GBA. Must have EZ 3 in 1 or some otehr Cyclo Slot 2 card

Both have Real time Guides - though CycloDS is still in BETA with the Real Time Guide (but wont be for much longer)

CycloDS has a highly active forum - creators of the card use the forum and speak english - SC has a forum but limited

CycloDS Skinning is easier

SC just introduced Multi Skins which is good but is limited to 10 I believe

CycloDS does not seem to have a limit that I have seen
- You get to select which skin you want OR select Random so every time you return to the menu you get a different skin

CycloDS has a great function where if you hold R + L when it is booting it AUTO loads the last game you were playing
- Very sweet function to avoid the menu system etc if you wish to just play the same game again upon next start
smile.gif

Maintenance / Updates for the CycloDS are very easy to install

Narin maintains a very comprehensive and up to date cheat file for the CycloDS (Though he is planning to do teh same for the SC)

SC DS One is cheaper to buy in the US than the CycloDS

In Aus it is about $55 for the SC DS One and $69.50 for the CycloDS

In saying all of that I have never had an issue with my SuperCard DS One and it really is a great great card. It does all that is needed and I can handle a slighty slower menu as a few extra seconds here or there means nothing to me. I simply prefer the ease of maintenance side of the CycloDS - no needing to constantly update a file like ndsinfo.dat and enjoy the cheat databse from here.

I do not use cheats that much - but I do enjoy the RTC with the SuperCard DS One. But I enjoy the features of the CycloDS even more, boot last rom, in game backlight change, maintained cheat database etc etc.

Anyway - that is my two cents worth.
smile.gif

crappi3pappy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The scds1 can use Narin's big cheat file too, it has 2 other cheat engines to choose from, dstt and y's. This also gives the scds1 native EZ3in1 support via the y's menu, all 3 menus can be jumped into in the blink of an eye just by running the .nds file of the menu you want.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fun_Zephyr said:
I have both the CycloDS and SuperCard DS One.

I would have to say that the CycloDS is superior to the SupCard DS One.

The only thing that I can remember that the SC has over the CycloDS is it has Real Time Cheats. You can turn individual cheats on and off as you please.
With the Cyclo you activate your cheats before loading the game and in game you have the option to disable ALL cheats activated but not individually

Both have Real time Save

CycloDS has has in game Backlight change ability

CycloDS uses long file names for saves SuperCard uses short names

Cheat system Menu in SC is crap. 13 characters at most therefore you can't read what the entire cheat is nor can you see what commands to use if any

SC Cheat system also more complicated to setup - if a specific file is not updated with teh latest ROM info (NDSINFO.DAT) then
- You must save the SCC (cheat file) in the same directory as the rom with the same name except scc on teh end
- If ndsinfo.dat is updated then save the scc file in the scshell\cheat folder as the rom number.SCC
- SC Team rarely update teh ndsinfo.dat so you rely on JMR from the SC site to complete this

CycloDS Cheat system is like the R4 etc and easy to read and use

CycloDS runs more smoothly in the menu system

CycloDS has GBA support from slot one - like M3 Real but without RTS for GBA. Must have EZ 3 in 1 or some otehr Cyclo Slot 2 card

Both have Real time Guides - though CycloDS is still in BETA with the Real Time Guide (but wont be for much longer)

CycloDS has a highly active forum - creators of the card use the forum and speak english - SC has a forum but limited

CycloDS Skinning is easier

SC just introduced Multi Skins which is good but is limited to 10 I believe

CycloDS does not seem to have a limit that I have seen
- You get to select which skin you want OR select Random so every time you return to the menu you get a different skin

CycloDS has a great function where if you hold R + L when it is booting it AUTO loads the last game you were playing
- Very sweet function to avoid the menu system etc if you wish to just play the same game again upon next start
smile.gif

Maintenance / Updates for the CycloDS are very easy to install

Narin maintains a very comprehensive and up to date cheat file for the CycloDS (Though he is planning to do teh same for the SC)

SC DS One is cheaper to buy in the US than the CycloDS

In Aus it is about $55 for the SC DS One and $69.50 for the CycloDS

In saying all of that I have never had an issue with my SuperCard DS One and it really is a great great card. It does all that is needed and I can handle a slighty slower menu as a few extra seconds here or there means nothing to me. I simply prefer the ease of maintenance side of the CycloDS - no needing to constantly update a file like ndsinfo.dat and enjoy the cheat databse from here.

I do not use cheats that much - but I do enjoy the RTC with the SuperCard DS One. But I enjoy the features of the CycloDS even more, boot last rom, in game backlight change, maintained cheat database etc etc.

Anyway - that is my two cents worth.
smile.gif

..wow. Thanks =D

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Oops - I did forget the Triple loader for the SC DS One. TTDS, YSMENU and SC DS ONE.

I have the triple loader but I despise, loath and detest the TTDS loader. Harsh maybe but I hate the fact that even if your roms are in different folders all roms appear in the one long view. Granted, there might be a way around this. I see the point in having a triple loader but at the same time why have a SC DS One if you are not going to use its features
smile.gif

Also, the long saves created by TTDS and YSMENU are not always cross compatible with the SC DS One.

However, the good flip side is if a ROM does not work on the SC DS ONE but TTDS have released a fix at least you can play it while you wait.

Still prefer the CycloDS but will always keep my SC DS One as well
smile.gif

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, so mainly the only difference between them is the price? Is skinning on the Cyclo easier than the Supercard or even the Acekard? In fact, would the Cyclo go far as to say having a better GUI than the Acekard? The Cyclo doesn't have a calendar on the GUI like how the Acekard does though

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Link5084 said:
Wow, so mainly the only difference between them is the price? Is skinning on the Cyclo easier than the Supercard or even the Acekard? In fact, would the Cyclo go far as to say having a better GUI than the Acekard? The Cyclo doesn't have a calendar on the GUI like how the Acekard does though

Well, the looks of the GUIs are depentant on one's perferance, but I like the Acekard's GUi over Cyclo. That doesn't mean it's bad in anyway, but just saying that I find it better. I haven't used the Aceakard's GUI to see what's better, but all I know is that the Cyclo has a very smooth and accurate touchscreen usage.

The differences between the Cyclo and the SCDS1 is huge. Now, the CycloDS has everything the SCDS1 has, but does them twice as better, except the things that are in beta. As for skinning, the SCDS1's skins may take a whole lot longer to make than the Cyclo's because you need to fill up A LOT more buttons. So, in short, Cyclo is easier to skin, because there's less places to cover.

Lastly, no, the Cyclo doesn't have a calender. However, I think it had the date of the day, and current time.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
I think people might want to know that I am working on a massive Supercard DS ONE vs CycloDS Evolution comparison, review, guide sort of thing. I think I hit up on some really useful information in it, and the best news is, there is going to be lots of pictures, maybe a few videos, and I am hoping to get it done tomorrow, but if I get lazy, sometime this week.

I can help you on the SCDS1 part if you want. Afterall, I know a few flaws....

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier, I'm really really looking forward to your Cyclo vs. SCDS1 review and comparison. Hopefully you'll get it done this week. Can you make a Youtube video comparing the two?

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
That's great PharaohsVizier. I hope you show the true power the SC's cheat engine by making your own .scc's, it's very easy anyone but a simpleton can do it.

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Jademalo said:
Yes, it can boot GBA games directly from Slot 1. Yes, the Cyclo is probably the most easily skinned card.
Does that mean we don't need a Slot-2 device or does that solely mean that it's compatible with the 3-in-1?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...