CycloDS iEvolution: the first DSi mode flashcart!

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
it currently has no commercial dsi rom support. you can't read/write from the sd after code as run from slot-1 (limitation of the hardware). they haven't unlocked the nand. dsi-ware hasn't been decrypted. so right now this is a cyclods that offers the potential of dsi homebrew (faster cpu clock, more ram, access to the camera).

is that worth $50? it will depend on what they do with homebrew. a movie player running in dsi mode would be pretty sweet. emulation has so much potential. the trick is, how do you get people to code those projects if you are only willing to offer them a $50 flash kit in return?

-another world
So, there is no way to access the SD card with DSi homebrew at all then? So that means not being able to load stuff from the SD like for a emulator.

I think the only way to lure me away from my SCDS2 would be an emulator that relies on the DS and not the card's extra processor, price is not a deterrent, lack of software is for me.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DsHacker14 said:
Why don't they release the secret of unlocking DSi mode? I thought bruteforceing the key or whatever was going to take a million years?... Maybe we can do it without a flashcart.
I dunno, why don't KFC tell us what's in the 11 herbs and spices?

QUOTE(Lassik @ Dec 13 2010, 07:28 PM) As far as the comparison between the two cards though, if it can't do the in-game menu like the DSTWO can then i'm not really interested. I like the potential that the DSTWO has with this feature.
The Evo had an in-game menu, so it would be a step backwards if the iEvo didn't.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
squirrelman10 said:
AW you think N64 emu and psx emu can be accomplished with DSi mode? idk maybe if DS2 had DSi mode maybe it could combine both powers of processing speeds, but i would think it would be really laggy for emus, maybe perfect SNES and GBA emus can come from DSi mode

i never thought i would play neogeo, scummvm, or quakeII on my ds. talented programmers do great things, it might be possible. i'm not going to speculate until more info about the hack is released and we have the ievo to play with.

@murkurie: no, once the slot-1 is doing something the sd card becomes locked out. think of how dsi-ware works, you can't run it from the sd card. there is some talk that they may be able to change this behavior but it seems unlikely. i'm not really sure why they said they have access to the sd card in their news post. i guess because the ds mode couldn't do anything with the sd card and the dsi mode can. but that stuff is running from the nand and copied over using the dsi firmware menu (before any slot-1 cards have been launched).

-another world

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
@murkurie: no, once the slot-1 is doing something the sd card becomes locked out. think of how dsi-ware works, you can't run it from the sd card. there is some talk that they may be able to change this behavior but it seems unlikely. i'm not really sure why they said they have access to the sd card in their news post. i guess because the ds mode couldn't do anything with the sd card and the dsi mode can. but that stuff is running from the nand and copied over using the dsi firmware menu (before any slot-1 cards have been launched).

-another world

Thanks, I was confused how they said SD card, and you said no SD card, well that's to bad.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well that's disappointing, I got excited after reading the first post.

Hey wasn't there one more flashcart team who got the DSI code/software whatever, maybe they can provide something better.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Another World said:
squirrelman10 said:
AW you think N64 emu and psx emu can be accomplished with DSi mode? idk maybe if DS2 had DSi mode maybe it could combine both powers of processing speeds, but i would think it would be really laggy for emus, maybe perfect SNES and GBA emus can come from DSi mode

i never thought i would play neogeo, scummvm, or quakeII on my ds. talented programmers do great things, it might be possible. i'm not going to speculate until more info about the hack is released and we have the ievo to play with.
I'm pretty sure that PSX and N64 are WAY out the DSi's league. I mean, look at the PSP, it's a powerhouse confronted to the DSi, and it can still barely do N64s simplest games. And PSX works so well on it only because it's using a HEAVILY optimized emu directly from Sony itself. The hardware it's theirs, it's obvious that they could manage something like that... but on DSi? Nah. Just look at the few homebrew PSX emulators available for PSP back then, and I guess you could have an estimate of what homebrew programmers can do on DSi... Really low framerates and cracking sound support
wink.gif

Maybe using the psx4all's ARM dynarec would surely help, but I dunno how much. I guess that a DSTwo with 32MB of RAM and an almost 300Mhz processor would fare better than the DSi's native power.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought of an interesting point.

This thing can boot into DSi mode. But then, what if we just want to play DS games? What then? If it can play DS games while in DSi mode, then the games would be playing faster, as DSi mode has it's CPU going faster than a normal DS.

Sure, we have DSi-enhanced games, but that's just DS mode games with a little extra code that allows the use of the camera, like Pokemon B/W.

How would we be able to play DS games without them going too fast? The moment your in DSi mode, your stuck in DSi mode until you restart the system and can boot into DS mode.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
Dimensional said:
How would we be able to play DS games without them going too fast? The moment your in DSi mode, your stuck in DSi mode until you restart the system and can boot into DS mode.

wtf.gif

DS cartridges aren't faster on a DSi than on a DS.

Hopes that answers your question.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Etalon said:
Dimensional said:

wtf.gif

That's because the System Menu underclocks the CPU and disables the extra hardware when you boot a DS game.
His point is valid, maybe they reverse engineered how the System Menu does that?

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
Another World said:
squirrelman10 said:

I'm pretty sure that PSX and N64 are WAY out the DSi's league. I mean, look at the PSP, it's a powerhouse confronted to the DSi, and it can still barely do N64s simplest games. And PSX works so well on it only because it's using a HEAVILY optimized emu directly from Sony itself. The hardware it's theirs, it's obvious that they could manage something like that... but on DSi? Nah. Just look at the few homebrew PSX emulators available for PSP back then, and I guess you could have an estimate of what homebrew programmers can do on DSi... Really low framerates and cracking sound support
wink.gif

Maybe using the psx4all's ARM dynarec would surely help, but I dunno how much. I guess that a DSTwo with 32MB of RAM and an almost 300Mhz processor would fare better than the DSi's native power.

It can do quite a few non-simple games at full speed. Ex: Super Mario 64. It's progressing fast.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Davi92 said:
Etalon said:
Dimensional said:

wtf.gif

That's because the System Menu underclocks the CPU and disables the extra hardware when you boot a DS game.
His point is valid, maybe they reverse engineered how the System Menu does that?
Yes.

@Etalon
I was talking about a DS rom on a cart that was booted into DSi mode. As Davi92 said, when you boot into DS mode, the system underclocks the CPU and disables a bunch of hardware. That's how a DS game runs at normal speeds on the DSi. But now, if your cart boots into DSi mode, you have it all. The CPU will not be clocked back, and most of the hardware will not be disabled. Now you start a DS rom on that cart which is running in DSi mode, and you now have a DS rom running faster than it should.

How will you keep the said DS rom from running too fast when it plays on the iEVO while in DSi mode?

@Davi92

It would be hard to reverse engineer the System Menu, as that would be encrypted. Plus, once you start a game, the entire DSi system shuts down everything but that game and what it needs. When you start the game, the system menu no longer functions until a reset. That is how the DSi firmware was set up.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
The advantage of the SCDS2 is CPU power
The Advantage of the CycloDSi is faster RAM and SD slot access for looading ROMS
The disadvantage of the SCDS2 is it only has 16mb RAM effective, due to the i/o speed on the DS cartridge.
The disadvantage of the CycloDSi (If it doesn't have a CPU) is CPU power.
Therefore the SCDS2 is better (going by what we know so far) than the iCyclo as Ram isn't as important as CPU power.
Bu if the iCyclo has a CPU and can use the SD Slot for loading roms and a few other files...
Then PSX emulation isn't too far fetched
smileipb2.png

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThePowerOutage said:
The advantage of the SCDS2 is CPU power
The Advantage of the CycloDSi is faster RAM and SD slot access for looading ROMS
The disadvantage of the SCDS2 is it only has 16mb RAM effective, due to the i/o speed on the DS cartridge.
Therefore the SCDS2 is better (going by what we know so far) than the iCyclo as Ram isn't as important as CPU power.
Bu if the iCyclo has a CPU and can use the SD Slot for loading roms and a few other files...
smileipb2.png
We don't know for certain that the CycloDSi can access the SD slot. So far some people have said it can happen, and others said that it's not possible. And so far the side that says no have given some evidence to support their side. So the only way the iCyclo will have it's advantage over the DS TWO is if it has it's own built in CPU. Then it would have that, plus the full use of the DSi CPU and RAM.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ThePowerOutage said:
The advantage of the SCDS2 is CPU power, but it would be completly compromised if the iEVO also features additional CPU.
Therefore the iEVO is better.
smileipb2.png
Fixed.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Another World said:
it currently has no commercial dsi rom support. you can't read/write from the sd after code as run from slot-1 (limitation of the hardware). they haven't unlocked the nand. dsi-ware hasn't been decrypted. so right now this is a cyclods that offers the potential of dsi homebrew (faster cpu clock, more ram, access to the camera).

is that worth $50? it will depend on what they do with homebrew. a movie player running in dsi mode would be pretty sweet. emulation has so much potential. the trick is, how do you get people to code those projects if you are only willing to offer them a $50 flash kit in return?

-another world

How do you know that? Proof?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Another World said:

-another world

Maybe AW secretly works for Nintendo.
laugh.gif

stylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dimensional said:
WiiBricker said:
Another World said:

-another world

Maybe AW secretly works for Nintendo.
laugh.gif
I think your right
rofl.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...