Hacking CycloDS evolution not functioning anymore?

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 16,748
  • Replies 10
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted-236924

OP
My little brother's CycloDS seems not to function anymore.
No matter what DS we try it in, it isn't recognized.

I tried the paper trick, but it didn't work either.

What I think is that maybe my mom put the update.evo file for v2.2 on his microSD, but then he would have turned it off while it was updating.

But CycloDS Evolution recovery mode doesn't work on his while it works properly on others.

Would there be any way of booting recovery mode on one CycloDS, but then switch the CycloDS so that it updates the bricked one?

Additional information: We've had it for little over a year, but he only started using it about 6 months earlier.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Modariffic.com

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.modariffic.com
XP
Country
Possibly sounding faulty or contacts have worn away, I have forwarded this issue to Team Cyclops for further troubleshooters to try.

Try not to switch cartridges while any update process/recovery mode is happening for now as you might end up having no CycloDS units properly functioning.

In the meantime, have you possibly tried a different SD card with fresh firmware on?

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Modariffic.com said:
Possibly sounding faulty or contacts have worn away, I have forwarded this issue to Team Cyclops for further troubleshooters to try.

Try not to switch cartridges while any update process/recovery mode is happening for now as you might end up having no CycloDS units properly functioning.

In the meantime, have you possibly tried a different SD card with fresh firmware on?
Well I think I remember my old CycloDS being able to be read by my DS Lite even with no microSD card inserted.
I also doubt it would be faulty — do faulty carts last over a year?

Edit: Oh, and we also already tried using a different microSD, but didn't work either.

Modariffic.com

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.modariffic.com
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
Modariffic.com said:

Well I think I remember my old CycloDS being able to be read by my DS Lite even with no microSD card inserted.

Edit: Oh, and we also already tried using a different microSD, but didn't work either.

Team Cyclops will most probably reply on the Monday, no reply yet.

If you boot the CycloDS EVO unit up without a MicroSD card inserted you will get an error saying:

"MicroSD card not found! Please turn off the NDS and insert a MicroSD card into CycloDS Evolution"

If the EVO unit is not even being recognized by the DS itself then perhaps a contact issue or as you have said due to turning the unit off during flash process. Again best wait until TC reply
wink.gif

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Modariffic.com said:
Pingouin7 said:
Modariffic.com said:

Team Cyclops will most probably reply on the Monday, no reply yet.

If you boot the CycloDS EVO unit up without a MicroSD card inserted you will get an error saying:

"MicroSD card not found! Please turn off the NDS and insert a MicroSD card into CycloDS Evolution"

If the EVO unit is not even being recognized by the DS itself then perhaps a contact issue or as you have said due to turning the unit off during flash process. Again best wait until TC reply
wink.gif
It is not a contact issue since I already tried the paper trick.
I'm not sure what happened, really. It was working really well and we didn't update it for months because all of the games my little brother wanted to play worked perfectly from the start.

Modariffic.com

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.modariffic.com
XP
Country
Team Cyclops have said:

"Please try to make the whole installation including the bootstrap process. If the problem persist then you may have a defective unit. "

They think you have a newer iEVO unit, I have emailed back stating you have the older EVO unit.

Never the less if your EVO can not do what it used to, the unit could very well be defective.

D

Deleted-236924

OP
WiiBricker said:
Pingouin7 said:
I doubt a defective one would have lasted over a year, though.

Yes, I think the person replied to you thought you had an iEVO, not and EVO.
No, Modariffic knows that it's a regular EVO.
Team Cyclops where the ones to think it was an iEVO.

Modariffic.com

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.modariffic.com
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
I doubt a defective one would have lasted over a year, though.

This is only what Team Cyclops themselves have said as they are the people who create CycloDS. If the unit is not upgrading/working the unit therefore must be defective to some extent.

Signs that the CycloDS EVO is not defective would include:
  • Being able to boot into recovery mode
  • Being able to boot the CycloDS EVO without a MicroSD
  • Game showing up on main menu of DS
None of which your cart is seeming to do at this stage.

If no physical damage has been sustained to the unit or misuse then perhaps getting in contact with the reseller to organize an exchange is in your best interest. That is unless Team Cyclops reply with a different method because of the misunderstanding between you having an EVO over the iEVO
wink.gif

Modariffic.com

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.modariffic.com
XP
Country
TC have replied, this is what they have said:

QUOTE said:
Hello,

Please first of all reformat your MicroSD just in case this one is fragmented and after download and install the latest stable firmware version located on our web page.

http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/e...pl?page=support

Please verify to ensure that your file is 100% completed and error free.

At this point make sure to have the UPDATE.EVO on the root of your MicroSD card. Restart your DS and follow the on-screen procedure.

Example: X:\UPDATE.EVO (Assuming X: as your USB drive letter)

** If you are unable to handle file type ".RAR" or ".ZIP" get WinRAR for PC or StuffIt for Mac **

If you can't get the UPDATE.EVO to boot try this procedure:

Hold 'DOWN+B' (or 'SELECT' for older units) While booting the CycloDS Evolution the Firmware Recovery Installer should ask you to load from MicroSD!

Again like mentioned early make sure to have the UPDATE.EVO on the root of your MicroSD card.

If all is in place press A to load the recovery firmware.

If you still have a problem try with another MicroSD to eliminate the risk of defective or corrupted MicroSD.

If the problem persist then you may have a fully bricked EVOLUTION due to the shutdown of unit before the end of upgrade process.

Best Regards,
Team Cyclops - Tech Support

And a follow up email was sent shortly after:

QUOTESorry for the wrong information sent rather. After few discussion with the Dev TEAM apparently there is a protection against this kind of situation and the customer should only need to reflash the latest firmware, old Evolution has a read-only bootloader so you can always recover from bad flash. if the problem is not solved after this then the unit may be defective.

Best Regards,
Team Cyclops - Tech Support

So it seems if your EVO unit was working it would re flash under any circumstance regardless of how bad the flash.

Hope all of this helps with your problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: