Homebrew CtrBootManager: 3ds boot manager/loader (HomeMenuHax)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can hex edit the menuhax payload to launch something other than boot.3dsx. Use something like HxD to edit your menuhax payload, search for the "boot.3dsx" strings (Should be 2) and rename them to something else (Must be same length, so something like "abcd.3dsx"). Then, rename your CTRBootManager 3dsx to whatever you replaced the string with.This way, you can keep the HBL launcher as boot.3dsx, but still load CTRBootManager through menuhax.

This, of course, can be adapted to other entry points besides menuhax. I just assume everyone is using it...
I'm no noob when it comes to 3DS hacks, but that sounds a bit out of my league. Is it possible to share that custom payload?

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no noob when it comes to 3DS hacks, but that sounds a bit out of my league. Is it possible to share that custom payload?

I'm not near a computer, but it isn't really that hard. You should be able to find your hax payload on the root of your sd card. Download HxD (Google it), then open it and open your hax payload file from HxD. Then you can use the search option in HxD to search "boot.3dsx". It'll highlight that string, and you can rename it. Then use search again, find the second " boot.3dsx", and rename it to what you renamed the first one.

Reactions: MattKimura
D

Deleted User

rxTools Loads, but then it goes to back screen. I am running Roxas75 2.6. Any help?

Garrincho

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

It literally takes 5 seconds. What I did is manyally download the otherapp payload from smealum's, change the name accordingly, open it up in notepad/wordpad/notepad+, search for "boot.3dsx" and replace it with the name of the homebrew launcher 3dsx, drop it on your sd card's root, and then the homebrew launcher CIA starts with no problem.

D

Deleted User

rxTools Loads, but then it goes to back screen. I am running Roxas75 2.6. Any help?
I was able to enter rxTools, but couldn't boot emunand. I can boot emunand from the web. Any ideas? I changed my theme in emunand, but still have to hold down "L" to boot into RX tools...

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It literally takes 5 seconds. What I did is manyally download the otherapp payload from smealum's, change the name accordingly, open it up in notepad/wordpad/notepad+, search for "boot.3dsx" and replace it with the name of the homebrew launcher 3dsx, drop it on your sd card's root, and then the homebrew launcher CIA starts with no problem.
Problem is, I don't have access to a windows computer. I use a chromebook :c
Thats why I'm hoping someone can send the edited payload so that menuhax uses a differently named boot.3dsx

Aternel

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone help me ? I put boot.3dsx (from ctrbootmanager) on root, renamed HBL boot.3dsx to boot_hb.3dsx, and put boot.cfg on root. set menuhax to trigger when i don't push R, and after rxtools launches at boot, red screen. I made sure to REMOVE menuhax from emunand, doesn't change anything.

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone been able to configure this to boot minipasta? if so what did you input in the cfg file thanks in advanced

EDIT:never mind I got it going already

Last edited by BADDINOROX99,

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just wanted too report that, when you boot rxTool straight from the menuhax by holding L it only boots succsesfully (for me atleast) 70% fo the time otherwise it stays on a black screen.

When booting rxTools from this app CtrBootManager, rxTools boots 100% succesfully.

Don't know if others have this problem, but CtrBootManager always boots into rxTools succesfully, so use this if you also face the same problem when booting straight from menuhax.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted too report that, when you boot rxTool straight from the menuhax by holding L it only boots succsesfully (for me atleast) 70% fo the time otherwise it stays on a black screen.

When booting rxTools from this app CtrBootManager, rxTools boots 100% succesfully.

Don't know if others have this problem, but CtrBootManager always boots into rxTools succesfully, so use this if you also face the same problem when booting straight from menuhax.
I'm not surprised, rxtools didn't use to run on hax 2.0+
Before edited versions of rxtools that can boot on hax 2.0+ were widely available, ctrbootmanager was already using an offset to allow problematic CFW and homebrew to boot.
If it seems more reliable it's probably either due to this offset, or the fact that the memory is mapped differently prior with ctrbootmanager working as a middleman.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can anyone help me ? I put boot.3dsx (from ctrbootmanager) on root, renamed HBL boot.3dsx to boot_hb.3dsx, and put boot.cfg on root. set menuhax to trigger when i don't push R, and after rxtools launches at boot, red screen. I made sure to REMOVE menuhax from emunand, doesn't change anything.
Boot your 3ds into sysnand cleanly and then shut it down cleanly, see if that helps.
I've noticed on some of my units I sometimes get red screens during boot if my last shutdown was from holding the power button down or from a lockup/crash.
These red screens will often keep chaining into another red screen if I just do a dirty shutdown, but I've found cleanly powering on and off clears this up.

Also make sure rxtools can launch fine outside of ctrbootmanager(to confirm it's not your rx install), and double check to make sure it's referenced correctly in your boot.cfg.

Last edited by jaksy,

vzlanemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm not surprised, rxtools didn't use to run on hax 2.0+
Before edited versions of rxtools that can boot on hax 2.0+ were widely available, ctrbootmanager was already using an offset to allow problematic CFW and homebrew to boot.
If it seems more reliable it's probably either due to this offset, or the fact that the memory is mapped differently prior with ctrbootmanager working as a middleman.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Boot your 3ds into sysnand cleanly and then shut it down cleanly, see if that helps.
I've noticed on some of my units I sometimes get red screens during boot if my last shutdown was from holding the power button down or from a lockup/crash.
These red screens will often keep chaining into another red screen if I just do a dirty shutdown, but I've found cleanly powering on and off clears this up.

Also make sure rxtools can launch fine outside of ctrbootmanager(to confirm it's not your rx install), and double check to make sure it's referenced correctly in your boot.cfg.

Whats the correct path and syntax for boot.cfg for using rxtools. Ive been trying to find that for a couple of hours now with no luck.
I have 3.0.whatever rxtools, and I don't have the supposed /sys/ folder with the bin, I tried manually setting the path to the bats or to the firmware.bins with no luck, what am I missing?

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the correct path and syntax for boot.cfg for using rxtools. Ive been trying to find that for a couple of hours now with no luck.
I have 3.0.whatever rxtools, and I don't have the supposed /sys/ folder with the bin, I tried manually setting the path to the bats or to the firmware.bins with no luck, what am I missing?
https://github.com/Cpasjuste/CtrBootManager/blob/master/boot.cfg
The example from the OP works fine for me, but I might not be on the same version of rxtools as you.

I just opened the Nightly build 83afbb6 and there is most defintely a rxTools-83afbb6.zip\release\rxTools\sys\code.bin

Last edited by jaksy,

m4gNifY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure I like the autoboot option, since it means I have to actively avoid launching CtrBootManager again after i launch rxTools (sysnand). Is it different if I would launch emuNand? (I haven't set up emunand yet, I'm getting a bigger SD card soon)

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I found (and maybe some other person but i never saw it anywhere) how to launch rxTools 3.0 Alpha 0 (rxTools.dat) in CtrBootManager
just change in boot.cfg from
Code:
{
            title  = "rxTools";
            path = "/rxTools/sys/code.bin";
            offset = "0x12000";
        },
to
Code:
{
      title = "rxTools";
      path = "/rxTools.dat";
      offset = "0x20000";
    },

EDIT: I don't think it's possible to do it for 2.6, the rxTools.dat seems to be encrypted

Last edited by Deleted member 373183,

survive9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found (and maybe some other person but i never saw it anywhere) how to launch rxTools 3.0a (rxTools.dat) in CtrBootManager
just change in boot.cfg from
Code:
{
            title  = "rxTools";
            path = "/rxTools/sys/code.bin";
            offset = "0x12000";
        },
to
Code:
{
      title = "rxTools";
      path = "/rxTools.dat";
      offset = "0x20000";
    },

EDIT: Not working for 2.6 but i'm searching...
Didnt work, it just freezes at ctrbootmanager's screen

survive9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using a recent nightly build then no need to change the boot.cfg, it should be
Code:
{
title ="rxTools";
path ="/rxTools/sys/code.bin";
offset ="0x12000";},
what i said before was about the 3.0 Alpha 0
Yes but i actually can't cold boot with ctrmanager it installs the files then blackscreens and I have to do a hard reboot. No theme hax in emunand either. Should I go back to the 3.0 Alpha build so I can cold boot or am I installing it wrong?

Last edited by survive9,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol