CryoUtilities for Steam Deck updated to v2.0, adds Huge Pages and Clear Game Data features

Steam Deck users can rejoice once again, as the performance improving script, CryoUtilities by CryoByte33, has been updated to version 2.0.

If you are a Steam Deck user, making use of the CryoUtilities script is a must if you want to get the best performance overall for each and every game you play on the Deck. For those unaware, CryoUtilities is a script specifically tailored and developed to increase the performance of the Steam Deck by making changes to some of the default configurations that the SteamOS comes with. These changes give massive improvements to performance of not only default Steam games, but also can help in a lot of more resource-heavy emulators, like Yuzu/Ryujinx for Nintendo Switch. Some of the most important changes are:
  • Modifies Swap file size from the default 1GB to a recommended one of 16GB.
  • Modifies "swapiness" to be 1 as recommended.
  • Enables Huge Pages for the Linux-based SteamOS.
  • Enables shared memory in THP for SteamOS.
  • Disables Compaction Proactiveness for SteamOS.
  • Disables Huge Pages defragmentation for SteamOS.
  • Sets Page Lock Unfariness to 1 as recommended.
  • Sync game data to the storage device where the game is actually installed into (i.e. leave game data on SSD if installed on SSD, or move ALL game data to an external SD if it's installed on the external SD).
  • An option to delete ALL game data for certain games, as currently the Steam uninstaller leaves remnants of some of the game's files, particularly shaders and some save files (this is certainly helpful for users with Steam Decks with only 64GB of internal storage).
For a more in-depth analysis on what each and every one of the features from CryoUtilities do, please refer to CryoByte33's video about the latest update.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have never used this...the Steam Deck has become my go to... but Idk if I need this
Trust me, you want it. Games loads so much faster, and for example Tales of Berseria that I've gamed on it. Runs so much smoother.

Now maybe Soul Hackers 2 will work better (doubt it...)

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it. Games loads so much faster, and for example Tales of Berseria that I've gamed on it. Runs so much smoother.

Now maybe Soul Hackers 2 will work better (doubt it...)
Loading never really bothered me. I played Neo Geo CD pretty regularly ..so I have a high tolerance.

But I will try it tonight !

alucard_xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"
  • Modifies Swap file size from the default 1GB to a recommended one of 16GB."?
Mine only gives me 8 gb max ... Any idea ?

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like this will also help with emulation as it's more CPU based but I don't think there are much issues with emulation.

I keep telling myself I don't need a Steam Deck, but then wonderful devs come out with tweaks like this and my wallet starts to sweat...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i'm not sure this will help emulation a ton.
it helps games that need a lot of graphics ram and ram in general by just giving the graphics a dedicated 4gb to work with and expanding the cpu's ram into a swapfile which is good enough. emulators of the highest end just chug because there's a limit on how much cpu power the steamdeck has.
like, absolutely, extra ram doesnt hurt, but the bottleneck in my experience always seems to be cpu and there's not much to do about it beyond the general decky fiddling.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
yes. I mean not perfect for every game, but virtually every title I've tried is completely playable.

I've been running Code Veronica HD and Medal of Honor Frontline on it just fine, I heard other people have been running other PS3 games just fine as well with some slight tweaks for the heavier ones. Xbox 360 is also running (I have Goldeneye 007 XBLA on Deck).

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing was easy fast. and did the Recommended settings, not noticing much of a difference but to fair the Currect Game im playing is "arcade Paradise" and that is not really resouce heavy at all.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to give this a go one issue I have with verified games is that some automatically set their gameplay to ultra. I had this issue with Chernobyllite. The deck community keeps making this impressive. :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to give this a go one issue I have with verified games is that some automatically set their gameplay to ultra.
For whatever reason, some games store graphics settings in the cloud, so if you play them on your PC before Steam Deck, Deck will default to those same settings.

Reactions: lordelan and K3Nv2

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For whatever reason, some games store graphics settings in the cloud, so if you play them on your PC before Steam Deck, Deck will default to those same settings.
I bought this game via SteamDeck so maybe it just thought it was PC based out of the gate, but even on low settings games still look beautiful on the SteamDeck.

Reactions: Xzi

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would any of these changes affect battery life? I've been playing Yakuza 4 Remastered on my Steam Deck, and for some reason, even though it's not a graphically-intensive game or anything, it drains the battery from 100% down to 5% in an hour to an hour and a half. For some reason, the Steam Deck thinks it needs to go balls-to-the-wall full-force to run the Yakuza games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy psi posted a ltt video +1