SteamOS updated to Stable 3.4.6, fixes RE4 demo and adds ray tracing to Doom Eternal

1678807397676.png

A small but quite important update got released for the Steam Deck's operating system, SteamOS, just yesterday March 13th, 2023. This update adds a couple of bugfixes to games like Wo Long: Fallen Dinasty and Forza Horizon 5, but it also fixes a weird graphical bug that occurred in the Resident Evil 4 Remake which got released just a few days ago, where the user would encounter some black artifacting around objects and some 3D models.

(Left image by @Justice98405 from Twitter, right image by SteamDeckHQ)
1678809255796.png
1678809299714.png

This update also brings another QoL graphical update, specifically to Doom Eternal, adding ray tracing into the game. While the raytracing update does give the game a hit to performance, it seems like with a few tweaks, players can get a stable 30fps out of Doom Eternal with the raytacing on, so they can at least experience it with the best graphics on a stable framerate, and on the go.

The latest updates are thanks to an update to the video driver version focused on Vulkan, Mesa, which had this current update previously on the Preview branch of the SteamOS for testing (more or less an alpha testing branch). Based on some reports, the Mesa driver version that focuses on OpenGL hasn't been touched.

This is what the 3.4.6 changelog by Steam says:
Steam Deck OS Stable Update 3.4.6: March 13th said:
SteamOS 3.4.6 has just been released to the Stable channel as an update to all Deck users. The update contains the following changes:
  • Fixed a focus issue with Forza Horizon 5
  • Updated the graphics driver to Mesa 23.1, containing many functional and performance fixes:
    • Fixed graphical corruption issues with Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
    • Ray-Tracing is now available in DOOM Eternal
    • Fixed graphical corruption in Resident Evil 4

:arrow: Source

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have steam added the option in its BIOS/recovery mode to download its OS?

I am considering upgrading the internal storage but see you need a USB c portable drive/stick.

I have neither really and not willing to format my PS4 8TB drive thats nearly full of PS4 games.

Also something that I find annoying with steam deck is when adding non steam games, it downloads proton and its a game of hit and miss.

the internal storage seems to get full fast, but there seems to be no means of actually viewing what is on the storage devices.

I mean like in windows when you download and install anything, you can view it via control panels add/remove applications. It will list everything installed.

And so far, from what I see, when you download proton for a game, it creates multiple folders for that game per proton version.

And it seems there is nothing to view these then able to remove them, freeing up storage.

I have tried to get all my emulators installed then move the installation to my SD card, I cant seem to see how to change this option when in desktop mode - to set installs to the SD card.

When I did this I had almost all of my internal storage free, mine is only 64GB.

But I installed 1 emulator I cant seem to get to run off SD card only, thats roselines mupen (n64) emulator.

I have working off my SD card only
PS2
PS3
GC

And even though I had PS3 running off SD storage I am wondering while it was on internal for me to install a game and copy it to the emulators SD directory.

I have tried adding DOOM3 HD but none of the protons would run it, then tested normal DOOM3 and eventually got the right proton to run it.

Now almost all of my internal storage has gone, 24GB left and all it says it "others".

No idea what "others" is because all emulators, roms, pc games are all stored on my 1TB SD card.

The only thing not running off SD card is the N64 emulator, which again, I cant seem to get working off SD card, even if I copy the entire folder to SD and boot the same file from the same folder that the shortcut link directs to from the installed/games tab when you hit the steamdeck icon (pretty much same how i did with the other emulators).

But yea, I have no idea why my internal is full, could it be when using PS3 emulator that when installing it asked me if I wanted a shortcut etc added to desktop, I clicked yea on all options to make life easier making custom configs for each game (MGS4 running almost perfect minus audio issues in game and I've had to use my own config other than what you see online to get better performance, Uncharted 2 also running pretty good too).

So why can't we have an app that scans the storage and lists exactly what is what and a nice click to remove/uninstall feature like Windows has.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...