Hacking Couple of questions regarding vwii hacking

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last week I hacked my Wii U using this guide, I've read the vwii hacking part and also this thread. While the basis of both is more or less the same, there are a couple of things I wanted to check before hacking the vwii part of the Wii u.

Both guides mention using Dump Mii NAND and Yet Another BlueDump Mod, while only the definitive guide thread mentions using the xyzzy to dump the keys. Is the key dump part required?

One guide mentions patching/modifying IOS 236 and the othe IOS 80, which one is required?

jupitersj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would follow the definitive guide. You don't have to dump the nand/keys/ios but if something messes up in the future you're in a world of hurt.

Dump the nand, dump the keys(required to decrypt nand), dump all the stock ios and system menu.

Use d2x and install 249, 250, 251. Make sure you use vwii files; if original wii ios ends up on your vwii you'll have to replace them. If original wii ios80 ends up on your vwii you'll semi brick your vwii and it's a super pita to fix.

ios236 isn't required, I never installed it but iirc it can be used to help fix a borked system. I'm sure Cyan could tell you why.

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would follow the definitive guide. You don't have to dump the nand/keys/ios but if something messes up in the future you're in a world of hurt.

Dump the nand, dump the keys(required to decrypt nand), dump all the stock ios and system menu.

Use d2x and install 249, 250, 251. Make sure you use vwii files; if original wii ios ends up on your vwii you'll have to replace them. If original wii ios80 ends up on your vwii you'll semi brick your vwii and it's a super pita to fix.

ios236 isn't required, I never installed it but iirc it can be used to help fix a borked system. I'm sure Cyan could tell you why.

Thanks for the reply, I understand all that it was just the key and the two different IOS to be patched.

Prob should have said in the op buy my main objective is to play Wii and game cube backups, so from what I've read in going to want/need the homebrew channel and USB loader gx(or whatever it's called) forwarders and nintendont(does that have its own channel fowarder or has to be run through the homebrew channel?
So for that do I need IOS 80 and or IOS 236?

Edit: quick question regarding the Wii/vwii cios & IOS issue, I'll be getting those from the links guide/s so they should be the correct ones. But is there a way to tell the difference?

Last edited by fowler002,

jupitersj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D2x in the vwii thread will have the correct 249,250,251... the options you can pick in d2x (v10 etc) will say vwii. Those are for Usbloader etc. I don't use any fowarders so I don't know.

I setup Nintendont, and then I set Usbloader settings to run nintendont for gamecube games. I'm not sure about harddrives, but with USB sticks if you run gamecube games through usbloader to load gamecube games, whenever you you the home button to get back to homebrew channel, it will freeze up. Putting the gamecube games on your SD card works fine though.

I have my Wii games on usb stick, and gamecube on sd, emulator roms (genesis etc) on SD though can have them on either.

You don't need 236 for any of that. Homebrew channel patches 80 I believe, I know if you set usbloader from 249 to 80, it'll soft patch 80 whenever it loads for access.

Some music games need 250,251 to work on wii to load, or for instruments. I had that issue with some just dance games.

Also Usbloader can be finnicky sometimes, if your gamecube games or wii games don't show up sometimes, there is an icon you can click to show different systems games, just uncheck them, back out, then go check them again and they will show up. Also make sure you point to the correct drive for each system in usbloader settings (sd/usb).

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
D2x in the vwii thread will have the correct 249,250,251... the options you can pick in d2x (v10 etc) will say vwii. Those are for Usbloader etc. I don't use any fowarders so I don't know.

I setup Nintendont, and then I set Usbloader settings to run nintendont for gamecube games. I'm not sure about harddrives, but with USB sticks if you run gamecube games through usbloader to load gamecube games, whenever you you the home button to get back to homebrew channel, it will freeze up. Putting the gamecube games on your SD card works fine though.

I have my Wii games on usb stick, and gamecube on sd, emulator roms (genesis etc) on SD though can have them on either.

You don't need 236 for any of that. Homebrew channel patches 80 I believe, I know if you set usbloader from 249 to 80, it'll soft patch 80 whenever it loads for access.

Some music games need 250,251 to work on wii to load, or for instruments. I had that issue with some just dance games.

Also Usbloader can be finnicky sometimes, if your gamecube games or wii games don't show up sometimes, there is an icon you can click to show different systems games, just uncheck them, back out, then go check them again and they will show up. Also make sure you point to the correct drive for each system in usbloader settings (sd/usb).

Thanks again, I'll look into doing the vwii hack in the next couple of days. Is there any issues using USB sticks rather than hdd? I've used my old Wii hddi.e the hdd I used to use with my hacked Wii console) for my Wii u games so can't use that as I'm not using rednand, will use USB stick and sd until I sort out a hdd for the Wii & gc games.

jupitersj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again, I'll look into doing the vwii hack in the next couple of days. Is there any issues using USB sticks rather than hdd? I've used my old Wii hddi.e the hdd I used to use with my hacked Wii console) for my Wii u games so can't use that as I'm not using rednand, will use USB stick and sd until I sort out a hdd for the Wii & gc games.

Yeah, plenty of USB sticks don't work or have issues. I had to return a Lexar stick when I hacked my friend's wii, it had issues with Usbloader. There is a compatibility guide somewhere on the internet.

I haven't had any issues with a 32gb usb2 and 64gb usb3 sandisk cruzer glide.

Also, use the top usb slot on the Wii U, (bottom on Wii).

Last edited by jupitersj,

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I did it earlier today, used the wuphax as I'd already hacked my Wii u so didn't need to use a game + save method mentioned in the definitive guide thread.

Dumping the keys got a fatel error for dumping the seerom (or whatever it is) but it dumped the otp, is that what's meant to happen?

The nand dump took around half hour, while the YAMD to dump all the IOS didn't take too long I did have to spend a few minutes trying to figure out how to dump them as the two guides i mentioned in the op don't mention it. Also dumped the channels not just the IOS, are you meant to?

Now I just need to install the USB installer and nintendont now, not decided if I should patch IOS236 or 80. Will be using a USB flash drive and SD card till I sort out a HDD.

Now that it's done do I need the wuphax, the apps used to dump the nand, keys & IOSs and the cios patcher on the SD? Also do I need the dumped nand or keys on the sd? I've backed them up on the PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-