Hacking Could someone install my EZ-Flash Vi software for me?

Billabo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is risky for me, but I was wondering if I could mail my EZ-Flash Vi to someone and have you unbrick it (if needed) and then properly install the kernel and anything else that is needed? I tried installing it when I received the flashcart but I have never gotten it to work. I only ever get a white screen, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It may be bricked, in which case if I wanted to fix it myself I would have to buy another flashcart, so I figure I might as well just spend the postage (and a tip for whoever does it for me) to have someone with experience install the software.

An instructional video or step-by-step instructions with screenshots might show me where I'm going wrong, but I could not find that for the Vi.
Oh and I have a DS Lite.

Billabo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need something that plays GBA games and didn't want to spend a lot of money. If I had realized that the Vi is just a V for the DSi, I wouldn't have bought that, I would have bought a V or IV, which I can find detailed instructions for :( Maybe I'll sell it on ebay and get a different kind.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it show up as a game on the DS's menu when inserted? Are you getting a white screen after selecting it?

Set up is pretty simple: Format the SD using the SD Association SD formatter and then un-RAR the kernel to the root of that SD, then put any .NDS files you want to run on the SD as well. That's it.

Since you're using it a DSlite you shouldn't need to flash the bootstrap... Unless it is indeed bricked.

Billabo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did what you said but it still just shows the Tak game on the menu, which comes up with a white screen after selecting it. I put some wrong stuff on it when I first got it months ago, so I guess I bricked it. Still, thank you for giving an explanation of exactly what to do! I can just buy another card I suppose. I do have a job now. lol

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never want to say with 100% certainty that an unbricking will work, but I've previously helped another forum member get his EZFlash Vi unbricked and the process was successful.

I'm going to be out of state this weekend (New York Comic Con :yay:) but after that I could try to help you out if you so desire, just cover shipping each way to zip code 08753 (it ought to be cheap).

Granted, there are much better cards out there now (The Supercard DSTWO supports onboard GBA emulation and continues to be compatible with the newest 3DS and DSi updates) but who am I to tell you not to get your current card fixed. Whether I use it or not, I know I certainly like to have my shit working.

Billabo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, thanks; I'll send you a PM sometime this week if I decide to send my EZ-Flash to you, and otherwise I will buy a DSTWO. I wish I had explored my options better before I bought the EZ-Flash Vi! I just figured the best thing to use with the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 was another EZ-Flash product.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got a 3in1 and you're just looking for a SLOT1 card to use it with on a DS/DS Lite, something as simple as an R4 Revolution for DS would do you fine, they're dirt cheap at this point (usually around $3) and running Wood R4 has great compatibility with games. The only downside to that being it can only support up to a 2GB microSD card.

Otherwise the R4i Gold from r4ids.cn continues to be another reliable choice that supports microSDHC cards and so far continues to work on the 3DS and DSi after it gets updated. I don't know what you have, but if you have or plan to move to a DSi/3DS at any point older cards like the basic R4 won't work, whereas this one will. Usually around $15

And then, like I said, there's the DSTWO, which can do onboard GBA emulation (the only card thus far to do so), which is a moot point if you have a 3in1 on an older DS/Lite but is a godsend on a DSi/3DS where there is no SLOT2. Like I said, this card continues to work on the 3DS/DSi, and unlike the others, has never needed a hardware revision to support newer firmwares. That reliability is reflected in the price, so it's not exactly cheap. Usually between $35-$40.

On all of these cards, you can launch GBA ExpLoader to load a game onto your 3in1, so that will continue to work for you.

Billabo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info! Since I may possibly want to play a DS game via one of these, I decided to get the DSTWO. I still need the 3-in-1 to trade my emulated GBA pokemon onto my DS pokemon game, but it will be nice to be able to play the game on my 3DS, too.
:yaynds:

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem. You won't be disappointed with the DSTWO, I can almost guarantee that.

If you have a DS or DS Lite, you can actually fix your EZFlash Vi on your own now once your DSTWO comes in, it just comes down to a matter of finding the right firmware update that can unbrick the card. Not that you'll want to use it over the DSTWO, but just for the sake of having it work.

Edit - If you don't own a DS/DS Lite, you'd still need to come across/borrow one or find someone who does.

Reactions: Billabo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Digital Yawn