cheezyphil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of a complicated situation I currently have:

I'm on a N3DS and recently moved up from Emunand Luma 6.6 to the 12.0.1. Everything went smoothly with no errors being thrown my way, but during the Finalizing Setup process, the SD card failed and entered Read-Only. This was confirmed by an attempted CIA installation and attempted filesave in a working game. Due to the failing SD card, several files in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder became corrupted, and almost all Eshop owned games failed to boot, throwing an ErrDisp "41" or Luma Exception w/ undefined instruction as the issue. All cartridge games still function, as well as .CIA backups and Ambassador GBA games.

I bought another SD Card to transfer everything over and assumed everything was fine. However, the "Nintendo 3DS" folder wasn't able to be copied to the new SD card due to several corrupted files.

I initially tried copying over the entire "Nintendo 3DS" folder from my old 6.6 backup, but that didn't work: the 3DS wasn't able to boot Luma and attempted to create a new profile on the SD card.
I got it to work by individually copy pasting uncorrupted files/folders from my recently upgraded and now read-only SD card to the new SD card, and replacing any corrupted files with files from the 6.6 backup. It boots to Luma now, custom theme and folder arraignments as well as all games and homebrew apps now show.

However, the same issue exists. All owned EShop games fail to boot with the same kind of errors as mentioned above . I have gotten them to work by uninstalling and reinstalling them from the EShop. However, I have several old EShop downloads that are no longer available to be downloaded now (i.e. old trailers, don't ask why I want these useless things). Additionally, the library of games that I've accrued over the years would mean it would take a very long time to manually uninstall and install all my owned EShop games.

Is there a way for me to reconcile my old 6.6. backup with my current Luma 12.0.1 setup?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You may try chkdsk to repair and recover the corrupted data on the old SDCard.
Run in Powershell the command chkdsk <driveletter>: /r . It will check and repair the filesystem (logical errors) and also corrupt written sektors (physical errors) and restores readable information for later examination and replacing them with reserve sectors.
  • Depended on file amount, it takes ~1 h per 100gb data to complete.
  • Alternative: Run chkdsk <driveletter>: /f for only filesystem error check on your drive.
  • Chkdsk will create a folder FOUND.000 with restored fragments of corrupted data and normaly can erased. If really really important information would be in it, it could be tryed to extrakt them with small chance with unCHK .

Then use Roadkills unstopable copierer to get all stuff from the old card.

cheezyphil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound like the SD card is dying, you need a new card.
Well, the SD card is dying...sorry if I didn't explicitly state that. I assumed I made that clear when I mentioned it was failing and became read-only.

You may try chkdsk to repair and recover the corrupted data on the old SDCard.

Would chkdsk work on a Read Only SD Card?

Appreciate the help so far, but the real question I'm trying to figure out is if I can use my old backup from Luma 6.6 to recover working games on Luma 12.0.1.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would chkdsk work on a Read Only SD Card?
Try it, a SDCard can only Read only if the controller inside is damaged or no more write cycles are possible, because of wear out.

I'm trying to figure out is if I can use my old backup from Luma 6.6 to recover working games on Luma 12.0.1.
Why not? The version of Luma or the 3ds firmware should be independend for the data on the SDCard including games, savedata,.. They are not blocked or something.

cheezyphil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there are no files/folders that Luma or B9S put into the "Nintendo 3DS" folder that require them to function?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, Luma is the CFW that overrides some functionalaty of the stock firmware. So the Luma version can be changed anytime, aslong it relates to the firmware version. And gm9 is a homebrew application like any other. So they write nothing to the "Nintendo 3DS" folder.

Overview 3DS SDCard content :
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/SD_Filesystem

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, Luma3DS has nothing to do with it. Use Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier (the one Sypherone linked) to copy your stuff, if some games/data didn't transfer then it's corrupt, there's nothing you can do to save it (unfortunately). I wouldn't suggest a file recovery program or anything, it'll be just a waste of time in this case.

cheezyphil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the useful information, I'll try merging the "Nintendo 3ds" folder from my Luma 6.6 backup with everything else on Luma 12.0.1 again; I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(i.e. old trailers, don't ask why I want these useless things)
Are you sure those aren't still available for re-download? I thought only limited demos couldn't be downloaded again.

Anyway, Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier should at least be able to identify which specific files can't be copied, and once you can take those, you can take other steps. You can use 3dsdb to identify which specific folders are associated with a particular game, in particular.

cheezyphil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moving over my old "Nintendo 3DS" folder recovered everything but my CIA backups and homebrew apps; I was able to install them manually.

Looks like everything is working now! I'll need to take some time to reinstall my backups but none of my eshop purchases are throwing errors back anymore.

Thank y'all for the quick and informational help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols