Converting mkv with included subtitles to mp4 with hardcoded ones ?

• Thread starter pasc
  • Start date
  • Views 7,406
  • Replies 13
P

pasc

OP
Well the deal is as following:

I got several mkv files that I need converted to the mp4 format.
However those mkv's seem to have subtitles coded into them (I guess softcoded).

When I drop said mkv files into handbrake and convert them they turn out without subtitles.

Any help is appreciated as I haven't had this case yet.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You do this. Make sure to click "Add" after selecting whatever subtitle track you want to hard encode.

0LqWJ.png

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Handbrake takes forever because it doesn't support GPU encoding (something that is commonplace in most apps today) So I have been using DVDFab, it's well worth the money. I can (quickly) encode to just about any format, including adding hard-coded subs in about 40 minutes per movie, versus 3+ hours in handbrake. I highly recomment DVDFab, it's a great paid app, and you won't regret it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Also depends on the input. Resolution over duration makes for huge files, but doesn't negatively impact the encoding speed like duration will.

I've tried video encoding softwares that run on the GPU, and the speed wasn't that impressive for the things I tend to do. It's certainly faster than the CPU... but they just don't give me the same type of control as things like Virtualdub, SUPER, and Handbrake (which use the CPU). Transcoding to a different container, encoding only a portion, joining files at specific frames, scaling, control over the settings in the video codec (frequency of I-frames, etc.), even tweaks to the audio level.

Though to note, Handbrake is generally my "final step", I mainly use it to give me a noticeably-lossy file that doesn't take 4 hours to upload to youtube. VDub and SUPER are for my tweaking.

P

pasc

OP
Sadly that is the exact reason I USE Batch Handbrake Encoder...

Doing what you told me to (choosing "Folder") will only select the first file in the folder.
I think the "Folder" option is for encoding DVD's from the harddisk.

Well... shouldn't the Batch Handbrake Encoder also be able to do this ?

On a side note: why do I have to resist the urge to write "BatchDPG" ? lol

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I take it you are under OSX ?
If you are under Windows you can do this pretty easily with FormatFactory.
I just converted a bigass 1080p MKV with embedded subtitles to an ipod-friendly MP4 file (subtitles thus became hardcoded into the MP4 video).
It works great!

P

pasc

OP
Hmmm Rydian, this is great :) The newest version of Handbrake really supports "adding all to queue".

Nice.

Thx. Thread can be closed.

And, Costello: I'll make sure to try FormatFactory too, since you know, I got a bigass mkv laying around just waiting to be converted :)

Julia Softorino

Trophies
XP
Country
Handbrake takes forever because it doesn't support GPU encoding (something that is commonplace in most apps today) So I have been using DVDFab, it's well worth the money. I can (quickly) encode to just about any format, including adding hard-coded subs in about 40 minutes per movie, versus 3+ hours in handbrake. I highly recomment DVDFab, it's a great paid app, and you won't regret it.
40 minutes per movie??are you being serious?
poor thing :(
Try WALTR , we work on this app now, and it does this within a couple of minutes or even faster

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
40 minutes per movie??are you being serious?
poor thing :(
Try WALTR , we work on this app now, and it does this within a couple of minutes or even faster
My CPU is just a mere 3.0GHz Athlon 64 X2 6000+, with a GTS 450 empowering it by about 300% more speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-