Hardware Controllers for the Wii

2cb2ct7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just wondering if any knows the main differences between the classic controller and the gamecube controller (apart from the obvious physical ones
smile.gif

I'm assuming the classic controller CAN'T be used for gamecube games?

Can the gamecube controller be used for gamecube games AND virtual console games?

Can both the gamecube controller and the classic controller be used for emulated games that are booted from disc/sd adapter?

Thanks a lot people!

Akeos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The gamecube controller can be used for only some virtual console titles (i think one of them was
mario kart 64). and the game will specify which controller needs to be used with t he game in the shop channel.

not sure about any emulation, sorry

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was just wondering if any knows the main differences between the classic controller and the gamecube controller (apart from the obvious physical onesÂ
smile.gif
Â

I'm assuming the classic controller CAN'T be used for gamecube games?
No. You can only control gamecube games with a Gamecube controller. Oh, and a Wavebird (wireless Gamecube controller) will work fine too.
Can the gamecube controller be used for gamecube games AND virtual console games?
You can control all Gamecube games with a Gamecube controller. Virtual Console games might be a problem...

NES-games: you can control them using the Wiimote, Gamecube controller or Classic Controller
SNES-games: you can control them using the Gamecube controller or Classic Controller.
N64-games: you can control them using the Gamecube controller or Classic Controller.
Genesis / Mega Drive-games: you can control them using the Gamecube controller or Classic Controller. For some games the Wiimote may work too.
Turbographics (or whatever
tongue.gif
): will always work using Classic Controller, but not always with the Gamecube controller.

So: NES-games will already work with the Wiimote, and some Mega Drive-games will too. For SNES- and N64-games you'll need either a Gamecube or Classic Controller. For Turbographics games you'll need a Gamecube or Classic Controller. In some cases, the Gamecube controller might not work.
Can both the gamecube controller and the classic controller be used for emulated games that are booted from disc/sd adapter?
I'm not sure... Wii homebrew is using the Gamecube hardware... A Gamecube controller will work, a Classic Controller might not.
I heard Wavebirds gave problems!
QUOTE(2cb2ct7 @ Jun 9 2007, 10:21 AM)
Thanks a lot people!
No problem
smile.gif

Btw, my choice would be the Gamecube controller. But you might have to get a Classic Controller some day...

123kid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got a Gamecube controller instead of the classic controller, much cheaper if you go for a third party one and more versatile.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is currently one game that requires both Gamecube and Wii controllers for a full multiplayer experience.
Bomberman '93 has a 5 player mode where any combination of wiimotes/classic controllers and Gamecube controllers upto 5 players can play.

I would highly recommend the classic controller if you are playing 2D games, the D-Pad is superior to the Gamecube one, the Hori digital Gamecube pad might be a good alternative if you have one (they are hard to find now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-