Compressing gamecube isos for picoboot. Modding

DonkeyTheKonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got myself a picoboot today. I was planning on buying a sd card. Is there a possibility to compress gamecube isos so i can fit more of them on my sd card?

Cheers

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Got myself a picoboot today. I was planning on buying a sd card. Is there a possibility to compress gamecube isos so i can fit more of them on my sd card?

Cheers
I don't even see the point in "trimming" the ISOs anymore, since SD cards are HUGE and dirt cheap now. I just re-downloaded my ISOs and theft them vanilla. Less issues.

But there's several tools that can "Trim" a Gamecube ISO down, it basically just gets rid of the empty padding that fills the rest of the ISO to the 1.4GB size. Animal Crossing for example, is only 26MB, because it's basically an N64 port of Animal Forest from the Japanese N64. I don't know, however, if Swiss supports booting from "compressed" ISOs, if at all. (.CISO format, or otherwise.) I've never looked into it. I know it supports .DOL, .ISO, and .GCM by default, but I'm clueless to any others it might do. Maybe .ELF? I dunno.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Cheers
I think you’re looking for nkit?

Reactions: nasune

DonkeyTheKonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think you’re looking for nkit?
Thanks for the fast response. I have nkit downloaded, how do i use it? xD
Post automatically merged:

I don't even see the point in "trimming" the ISOs anymore, since SD cards are HUGE and dirt cheap now. I just re-downloaded my ISOs and theft them vanilla. Less issues.

But there's several tools that can "Trim" a Gamecube ISO down, it basically just gets rid of the empty padding that fills the rest of the ISO to the 1.4GB size. Animal Crossing for example, is only 26MB, because it's basically an N64 port of Animal Forest from the Japanese N64. I don't know, however, if Swiss supports booting from "compressed" ISOs, if at all. (.CISO format, or otherwise.) I've never looked into it. I know it supports .DOL, .ISO, and .GCM by default, but I'm clueless to any others it might do. Maybe .ELF? I dunno.
Yeah i know that. But if i compress them enough i can fit my whole collection on 1 sd card
Post automatically merged:

I know that it'll at least work with nkit, since that's what I use.
Thanks for the fast response. I have nkit downloaded, how do i use it? xD

Reactions: nasune

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unzip the file, and inside the folder there should be a .bat file named ConvertToNkit. Just drag & drop your iso on that file, and it'll do the work for you (the converted file will be in a folder named /processed/gamecube, or /processed/gamecube_matchfail).

DonkeyTheKonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
unzip the file, and inside the folder there should be a .bat file named ConvertToNkit. Just drag & drop your iso on that file, and it'll do the work for you (the converted file will be in a folder named /processed/gamecube, or /processed/gamecube_matchfail).
Allright i will give it a go, be back in a sec

DonkeyTheKonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unzip the file, and inside the folder there should be a .bat file named ConvertToNkit. Just drag & drop your iso on that file, and it'll do the work for you (the converted file will be in a folder named /processed/gamecube, or /processed/gamecube_matchfail).

Allright, it did convert. But its a GCZ file. Did i do something wrong?

majorgear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get this working? Just to be safe, I'm converting my collection with is in .rvz format to ISO format using Dolphin to do the conversion. It's taking a while but should be done today.

I've calculated that my collection in ISO format will total just over 1 Tb , and the Swiss wiki states the largest SD card it supports is 512Gb ( as of v.6 r1534 ) .

I've downloaded Nkit 1.4 but haven't tried it yet. I'm sure it won't shrink 1 Tb down to 512 Gb, but if I curate the games I put on the SD card, I should have more titles on it than I'll probably ever play.

I came across some threads from 2022 that talked about ciso support for Swiss, but I did not find anything conclusive.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I still don't know why nkit exists, it's bloated AF and useless. And dealing with the ISOs in .nkit format instead of regular raw .ISO is a pain in the ass. I wish it'd go away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: S3X