gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I know that. that's why i said a bad version.
It is NOT a bad version. It is completely different. Not to mention, a version would have appeared AFTER the original.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I was a Gateway user. Had absolutely no issues with it. Still have it laying around.
Very happy buyer at the time, but not using it anymore.

Other that the deadly slow CIA installations, there is no reason to grieve over the death of Gateway, and literally no reason to keep using it.
Thus, I see absolutely no point in this thread.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also useful for romhack developers who would like to quickly test their games without waiting for them to install.
Layeredfs is a better alternative to this. There is actually NO build time with this since you just throw files onto your sd card.

Gateway burst onto the scene and made a monopoly
If making a monopoly is now acceptable, then this world is doomed.
it gives me better results than even PlaiSys
No one uses that for the downgrade from 9.x to 2.1 anymore. Once you get to 9.x, which does involve using it since that is the only option available (and is safer than looking at gateway), the rest guide is flashing a ctrnand image to your console, getting the OTP/installing a9lh, then restoring a nand/updating. N3DS is clicking one button on 9.2 and you are done.

brigcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I still have one lying around but I haven't used It for more than a year. The only way I see myself using It again is them open-sourcing the a9lh payload. I still use regularly the blue card though, since It does a pretty decent job as a basic DS flashcard.

Last edited by brigcaster,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Arm9loaderhax that they called "Fast Boot". However, i'm not aware if they DID stole code on purpose. Also SysDowngrader that they call "Time Machine".
I mean, the thing that community stole from GW by reverse engineering, which means GW have it first then community stole it form them.
@The Real Jdbye already tell me that rxTools was based on reverse engineered Gateway code. So was the leaked 4.x CFW.

Reactions: Queno138

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, the thing that community stole from GW by reverse engineering, which means GW have it first then community stole it form them.
@The Real Jdbye already tell me that rxTools was based on reverse engineered Gateway code. So was the leaked 4.x CFW.
At least the rxtools dev had the decency to say they reverse engineered gw code...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
also gateway where the guys who first cracked the "impossible brick wall" 7.x rom encryption and found the 9.2 kernel exploit also provided the first browser exploit, and first people to publicly release oothax (even of it was already privately found already)

so sure they borrowed some hack concepts but I would say it all evens out, it's not like supercard and r4 who just entered the 3ds scene leeching and not giving anything back

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Insteresting. Smealum on 2013 released a video showing the NAND redirection thing. However he points out:
(and before anyone points it out, yeah, this is probably the same as GW's emunand; however this was done completely independantly. took us about a week to get it working !)

Does anyone have more information on the subject?

Reactions: nechigawara

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is still little to no point buying a Gateway anymore. They have two features that really exclusive to them, but that doesn't make up for the other glaring flaws. Those flaws being the extremely long waiting period between updates and updates based on out of date features. Not to mention their CFW is easily broken with an OFW update and they still lack FIRM0/1 protection.
You are seriously paying to always be out of date.

Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
to be fair most of their updates have been fairly prompt now days, not like the great 9.2 wait and the great n3ds drought of 2014

obviously not as quick as the public cfw's but usually within a week of an ofw update being released

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
How i see Gateway right now is like AMD: Good for his time, but now is meh. I wonder if AMD will die first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: yoho yoho