Collecting Amiibos?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Futurdreamz, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:54 AM.

1. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    What's your take on it? I'm not really into it, but I can see myself installing some shelves and then buying whole sets used - though I don't think I'll ever find them for cheap.

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    There are 11 on my shelf and no more I really want right now. Will end up with a max of around 15 I'm sure. Got NFC cards for the Zelda and Splatoon amiibo sets.

3. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I have one amiibo; I don't think I'll ever collect them, but I can see myself buying a couple more when I feel like it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

On second thought, I have a bunch of Animal Crossing amiibo cards, but I collected them just because they are cards (and much cheaper).

4. CandraSoftware

CandraSoftware Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2009
    United States
    I'm still waiting until I can find a Toon Link amiibo in stores.

5. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm thinking maybe I'll just print out some cards or get someone to do it then put together a card album. That would be a lot more compact too, and much more reliable than an Amiiqo. There's someone on Kijiji locally willing to do so, but most of the cards would be unprinted and it looks like he charges $100 for 20

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    I have one... That I bought on clearance.. To use as a decoration for my computer.

wormdood likes this.
  7. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I have 3. Would've loved to get more, but they released too many, too quickly... so I got burned out directly. Also, with the limited stock, I got burned out again.

The one I'd like to get now, is the squishy Metroid one, since the Fusion difficulty mode is locked behind that Amiibo... then I realised I only have an O3DS, so I can't even scan the Amiibo... *annoyed*

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    have 2 of them, the 8bit mario (classic colors) and 8bit link
    they are just for display and got them for pretty cheap
    If they put out more 8bit ones then I would probably think about getting those also

9. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I only have 5 right now, I only get my favorite character theres like 2 more I wanna get but its a low priority thing, also I just use the powersaves action replay to mimic and use the other amiibos I dont have

10. Prizm

Prizm Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2008
    Amiibos are destined for the bargain bin right next to Skylanders and Disney Infinity. They have released far too many. They just collect dust at the stores since people just don't buy them now. They're good if there's one that you would really like to display on your desk or something.

11. zepmike

zepmike Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    I only buy the ones I really like, which are actually quite a few, haha. I'm only really a completionist with Zelda series ones, but I have never seen the newer Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword ones in stores (was able to get their BotW items thanks to an amiibo save backup device).

12. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I have about 20 at the moment. I only plan to collect the ones I want and nothing more.

13. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Unfortunately not, otherwise prices would be going down. The only ones I see in stores around here are super common ones that nobody wants. Even the amiibos I got at under $10 are like $15+ now.

14. Kevinpuerta

Kevinpuerta GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    Ive seen ness, lucina, pit, and many uncommon ones at stores and they are always there.

15. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I have every single one.... including gold mario, gold megaman, the 6 monster hunter ones, qbby etc.... boxed mint.

And a full set of zelda ones unboxed: because reasons :P

I also OCD collect the varients.... like the two/three/four packs as well as singles.

16. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It depends on the store obviously. I had to get all my Amiibo online, the only ones I've seen in stores around me are Waluigi, standard Mario, and Peach.

Haven't even bothered looking recently...it is Christmas time after all. I think the bottom will eventually fall out on Amiibo, but they haven't made too many quite yet.

Last edited by Xzi, Dec 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM
  17. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I have over 100. My wallet hurts.

KiiWii likes this.
  18. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    i have one . . . back when they came out i got a pikachu gave it a nickname (aniibochu). . . soon after i deemed amiibos to be useless (not used enough in games to justify buying the one let alone getting more amiibo). . . amiibochu lives in my top dresser drawer now

19. GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2008
    United States
    I also have them all except for the Amazon exclusive Link character that sells out within minutes each time it has restocked. I am always a few minutes late for that one.
    I have a complete Disney Infinity collection as well. I have gotten most of the figures on big discounts overtime with a few exceptions of the ones I want right away.

20. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Only the ones I really like.