Hardware coincidental electrical *POW* while wii U updates...

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
This is exactly what I was waiting when they updated system to download and install stuff while in sleep mode. Because I have so many things hooked up to my TV I have 2x6 socket extension cords with on/off switch. Wii U always starts doing stuff after powering down and I have to wait for few minutes for it to turn red and safely turn power off. Hate it, but don't want to mess up anything.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was my power socket. go figure. luckily I had surge protectors and breaker for the house went off,only to notice that I lost power to the whole house,so now I'm stuck with a $220 beeswax-coated black box of junk on my TV stand.

I never realized that an action as dull as unplugging the system would screw everything over and cause it to have a computerized stroke (gg nintendo),so I fiddled with the socket and replaced it (which meant giving it power and removing it ~3 times).

can't send it back either as this was a clearance item (staples stopped selling consoles) and sending it for repair on the other side of the world sounds pretty wasteful as you have a juicy THREE WEEKS to do something else. sounds boring as hell.

does autopilot mode still work after being unplugged or...?

I'm sorry that this happened to you, but it shouldn't be a surprise. People have been claiming that power loss during updates bricks the console from the very first day! This happened to me my first day with it, which was the day after launch. It bricked before I could even play NintendoLand. Repairs don't have 3 weeks, should take about a week and a half, if you were in the US. If in Canada, maybe a bit more? Do they not have repair centers in Canada?

looks bricked (no video signal),but blue light is solid and not blinking...

funny because it didn't install anything.

Yes, this is terrible design. I'm not sure how poorly it has to be programmed to allow a firmware download interruption to brick a console.

Wii U updates firmware as it downloads, whereas others download first then update.

The point is once system starts flashing in the update an interuption WILL kill it. The only way to protect against this is if you hook the system to an UPS (uninterruptible power system). UPS is a battery backup system that kicks in when it detects power outage or dirty power.

That's terrible design. There really should only be risk while flashing the bootloader. Anything else, and they designed their update system horribly.

Your only option is to send it to Nintendo for repairs and pay up. It'll take some time, but it'll be cheaper than a new system.

It's covered under warranty. But I don't know if Nintendo is willing to cover the shipping costs to and from Canada.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is exactly what I was waiting when they updated system to download and install stuff while in sleep mode. Because I have so many things hooked up to my TV I have 2x6 socket extension cords with on/off switch. Wii U always starts doing stuff after powering down and I have to wait for few minutes for it to turn red and safely turn power off. Hate it, but don't want to mess up anything.
Doesn't it only install updates after you turn it back on again like the 3DS to prevent this sort of thing? Sure it'll download them, but does it really also install them immediately?

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry that this happened to you, but it shouldn't be a surprise. People have been claiming that power loss during updates bricks the console from the very first day! This happened to me my first day with it, which was the day after launch. It bricked before I could even play NintendoLand. Repairs don't have 3 weeks, should take about a week and a half, if you were in the US. If in Canada, maybe a bit more? Do they not have repair centers in Canada?

Don't quadruple post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?