Cnet Top Worst Holiday Gifts... Guess What's #4?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be that as it may, its still really out of place compared to other things on the list, like say... the dvd player. I get that one.

Edit I mean really though, if simeone just all of sudden got a Wii U and games, I can fully understand being disappointed, but that in itself doesn't make it a terrible gift. Now, like the chromebook on the list, that makes sense. Get a real laptop that does more for the same or cheaper.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe the Wii U is not such a spectacular present like the PS4 or Xbox One, but playing games like Mario 3D world together will be a lot of fun on christmas. Christmas with the family/kids is also about playing together with the new toys and having fun together.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Be that as it may, its still really out of place compared to other things on the list, like say... the dvd player. I get that one.

Edit I mean really though, if simeone just all of sudden got a Wii U and games, I can fully understand being disappointed, but that in itself doesn't make it a terrible gift. Now, like the chromebook on the list, that makes sense. Get a real laptop that does more for the same or cheaper.

Look at how the list is composed. It's divided into clear-cut categories of:
  • Media Player (DVD players are obsolete, you can play DVD's on just about anything with an optical drive these days, the gift is not in high demand)
  • Games Console (Wii U isn't in high demand - the usual geek is either fiddling with a PC at this point or eagerly awaiting the PS4 or XBox One, hence the low Wii U sales. Again, the gift is not in high demand)
  • Fitness Equipment (Buying someone a fitness tracker is just like saying that the person is fat. Anyone who does fitness already has one, anyone who doesn't likely doesn't want one, so demand is near zero)
  • Laptop (If there is one laptop that nobody wants then it's a Chromebook. Unless someone is an uber Google geek, there's no reason to own one and if that's the case, he or she already has one, so the demand is low)
  • Phone (RIM and the Blackberry brand is dying under the pressure of Android and iOS devices. There's literally next to no reason to own one unless you really care about the encryption that comes with it. That being said, the other two have far better software support... so yes, no demand for that one either)
Each of those categories except the fitness equipment has alternatives - you should buy a BluRay rather than a DVD player if you really have to, you should get a decent laptop, a decent phone and finally, a "decent" games console, and by "decent" I mean one that the recipient would want. It's worth to note that we're assuming a surprise gift scenario.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By that logic, Surface should be on the list since its a horrible tablet compared to a good Android one or an iPad. That would certainly make a lot more sense....
Except the list didn't have any tablets on it. It's his personal Top 5, or at worst the CNET staff's Top 5. Perhaps the Surface is on the 6th place on his/their mental list of terrible gifts.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cnet, heh, there are other letters I want to replace the "net" with, but I can't say that on here ;)

They have an opinion, they must be right so everyone needs to listen to what they have to say :creep: Sorry for them, but I'll be playing AC IV, SM3DW, etc on the Wii U and enjoying it.

Reactions: clarky

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"When buying a Christmas present for someone you don't know well enough to know what they'd like for Christmas, don't buy them a $1500 laptop" GEE, YOU DON'T SAY.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Cnet, heh, there are other letters I want to replace the "net" with, but I can't say that on here ;)

They have an opinion, they must be right so everyone needs to listen to what they have to say :creep: Sorry for them, but I'll be playing AC IV, SM3DW, etc on the Wii U and enjoying it.

You and the 5 other Wii U owners. :)

Let's be frank here, Wii U's sit on store shelves and gather dust while Sony and Microsoft can't even keep up with stocking the shelves at this point - there are some sound reasons behind CNET's opinion on the matter.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You and the 5 other Wii U owners. :)

Let's be frank here, Wii U's sit on store shelves and gather dust while Sony and Microsoft can't even keep up with stocking the shelves at this point - there are some sound reasons behind CNET's opinion on the matter.

I actually met the only other Wii U owner in my home state my work the other day :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They didn't think anyone would seriously consider buying one in the first place :ha:

In all honesty, I wish I got a vita earlier. Yeah there isn't a whole lot of games for it, just like the WiiU, but I'm branching out and trying new genres and I'm enjoying it a lot, like I did with the WiiU. I was considering getting Rayman Legends on the Vita today, but I decided to get the definitive version and get the WiiU version, instead I picked up Killzone Mercenaries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ