Homebrew Clarification Thread - What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-236924

Not exactly, you still have sysnand but you are just bypassing it automatically. It's still there completely and if SD card was taken out it would load sysnand.
It would be cool to have an actual sig patched sysnand that would be able to load from coldboot no matter what just like how I can install firmware 6.60 PRO-C on my PSP and it'll always boot to it no matter what and let me run homebrew and .isos directly :P

Hacked sysnand that would have full kernel access for installing stuff and running unsigned content/homebrew, that would be awesome.
Might be best to wait until the end of the 3DS's life cycle for that though, when there won't be any new firmware updates coming out anymore.

"There is a way to get the key that blocks emuNAND 9.6+ on N3DS (it unlocks the new layer of security added to ARM9 bootrom on the N3DS)."

Is there any particular reason I would want to update my emuNAND at this point beyond 9.5? I've yet to come across any game that isn't playable on my emuNAND thanks to cryptofixes and the like. So beyond that, are there any features that have been added to the 3DS beyond the 9.5 firmware? The one thing I've seen (That doesn't interest me) is that your badges can be applied to folders or something like that. Unless there is a more substantial new feature, I'm just not sure why I should even bother updating my emuNAND beyond 9.5
No-one would ever need to bother with workarounds such as cryptofixing and other annoying patches destined to spoof firmware for any reason. You'd just have emunand on latest firmware and everything would just work.

I'd rather ask, why would you not want your emunand to be on the latest firmware?

Last edited by ,
Reactions: TVL and JustPingo

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
  • First of all, and most importantly: DO NOT UPDATE WHATEVER FIRMWARE YOU'RE ON. Thanks. It is recommended for you to get a way to access Homebrew Launcher as soon as possible.
But what's with eShop access? I'm on 10.1.0.27 (I think, can't check for sure now)
and due to the new security stuff Nintendo has introduced for accessing the eShop a few months ago the HANS way from @smealum is not working anymore. Anything coming up here?

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"There is a way to get the key that blocks emuNAND 9.6+ on N3DS (it unlocks the new layer of security added to ARM9 bootrom on the N3DS)."

Is there any particular reason I would want to update my emuNAND at this point beyond 9.5? I've yet to come across any game that isn't playable on my emuNAND thanks to cryptofixes and the like. So beyond that, are there any features that have been added to the 3DS beyond the 9.5 firmware? The one thing I've seen (That doesn't interest me) is that your badges can be applied to folders or something like that. Unless there is a more substantial new feature, I'm just not sure why I should even bother updating my emuNAND beyond 9.5
Updating your games.

Reactions: JustPingo

JustPingo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But what's with eShop access? I'm on 10.1.0.27 (I think, can't check for sure now)
and due to the new security stuff Nintendo has introduced for accessing the eShop a few months ago the HANS way from @smealum is not working anymore. Anything coming up here?

Wait for emuNAND.

D

Deleted-236924

Ah yes, good point, it would sure be nice to not have to download all the game updates as .cia files to install their latest updates. Would save time and work too. Still, its not something I necessarily need.
Several game updates require 9.6+ to work too, or you'll be stuck on a permanent Nintendo 3DS logo when attempting to boot that game.
Can be bypassed by editing the exheader of the patch's .cia to lower the minimum firmware requirement, but then again, that's extra steps and extra work, that someone had to figure out at some point, when you could just be on 10.3 and have it work right off the bat.

Also there may be really new stuff that comes out in newer firmware updates later on too. Stuff that might be harder to bypass.
Have we ever really figured out the 6.x save crypto?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I'm on the latest current official firmware on an old 3DS (with IronFall exploit) I guess I'm still good, right?

D

Deleted-236924

So if I'm on the latest current official firmware on an old 3DS (with IronFall exploit) I guess I'm still good, right?
Yes, stay there.

This is really nice because anyone can go buy any 3DS right now and be relatively safe in knowing they'll be able to hack it in the near future.

And this will finally allow actual US N3DSes to be on 9.0-9.2 instead of being stuck at minimum 9.5

Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, whats a miso soup? +1