CiTRUS releases Hello World POC! First 3DS homebrew!

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
this is what we are hoping to achieve

nintendo3dshomebrew.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Annieone23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nintendo3dshomebrew.jpg

Plus proof that it is actually 3DS mode. As people have said before, anyone could mock that up in photoshop or ds-mode homebrew from something like one of the available flashcarts.

Also yeah, my topic title is a teensy bit misleading as it is but I posted this as soon as I saw it, didn't want to get beaten to the punch :P That being said, if this homebrew works and a valid RSA key is used, this would allow for a legitHello World homebrew, and many more, to be possible.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

nintendo3dshomebrew.jpg

Plus proof that it is actually 3DS mode. As people have said before, anyone could mock that up in photoshop or ds-mode homebrew from something like one of the available flashcarts.

Also yeah, my topic title is a teensy bit misleading as it is but I posted this as soon as I saw it, didn't want to get beaten to the punch :P That being said, if this homebrew works and a valid RSA key is used, this would allow for a legitHello World homebrew, and many more, to be possible.

well 3DS mode shown in that the fact its in fullscreen

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

nintendo3dshomebrew.jpg
And we have not so-far since we don't have means to load ROM files.

its not about loading roms

its about loading custom code
The only way to load custom code that I can currently think of is mimicing the exact built of a ROM file. I'm not saying ROM's as in games, I'm saying ROM as in a file that might as well be on a cartridge, a .3ds file of any kind.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

nintendo3dshomebrew.jpg
And we have not so-far since we don't have means to load ROM files.

its not about loading roms

its about loading custom code
The only way to load custom code that I can currently think of is mimicing the exact built of a ROM file. I'm not saying ROM's as in games, I'm saying ROM as in a file that might as well be on a cartridge.

the idea is to create a Signed official App that can load rom files

PSP .iso roms are loaded like that

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PSP .iso roms are loaded like that
.iso is a disc image, ROM's of all-sorts are cartridge images, there's a sea of difference between those two. By the way, PSP .iso files are loaded via the CFW's iso loader, if you mean the Signed ones then I'm afraid you need the file in EBOOT form - no ISO is going to magically pop-up on OFW. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lucky people who have dev units can test this or play around with it, right?
Not really. The devkit format is not synonymous to the original cartridge format as it is signed differently - it's like saying that people with devkits can enjoy loading .3ds ROM's nowadays - they cannot.

Annieone23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just some food for though, but this Xcution (read:CiTRUS) guy is rather dedicated if this is a simple troll. Firstly, he has been updating the homebrew page almost every day for a month and secondly he has this very interesting post from December of last year on the n-dev forums: http://is.gd/ENI3oR

So if this dude is trying to pull a fast one over everybody he really has A LOT of free time. The 3DS Homebrew talk page for his previous news is rather in depth and has some big name players talking in it for this dude to just be a joke. One name especially jumps out at me which is Yellow8, a member of Team Twizzers!

Heres the page for that too: http://is.gd/Ng6F7E

Edit: Also this Xcution dude (Possibly definitely CiTRUS) is a GBAtemp member. I really don't feel comfortable posting his user name atm, due to everyone flooding him with news etc, but its pretty easy to piece together who he is from the posts on 3DSbrew. That being said, I, and I am sure others, would love it if he would comment upon this program for us here! ;)

Critica1

Trophies
Website
www.onehitgamer.com
XP
Country
United States
The guy is stupid. Finds exploit and emotionally releases it prematurely without completely understanding the use of it, nor gone further lengths to see what other possibilities can be done.

People are secretivie about exploits. Why? Because companies catch on and could easily patch (unless the exploit would require for Nintendo to do a hardware change, which I doubt).

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The guy is stupid. Finds exploit and emotionally releases it prematurely without completely understanding the use of it, nor gone further lengths to see what other possibilities can be done.

People are secretivie about exploits. Why? Because companies catch on and could easily patch (unless the exploit would require for Nintendo to do a hardware change, which I doubt).
There is no exploit.
L
I obviously hope/wish this was real, BUT at the top of that citrus page:
An editor has asked for deletion of this page. The editor's reason for asking for deletion is: This application is Complete Bullshit™

Administrators, remember to check what links here, the page history (last edit), and the page log, before deletion.
[/left]
Looks like this notice was taken down. Dun dun dunnnnn (?)
Indeed. Neimod has edited the page a few times to clarify/fix some stuff.

First off, you basically need the SDK already anyway - that's the only way to get a dev unit and the dev unit keys, required to sign code for running on the dev unit. There is no way to get keys for retail units, so there is no way to run anything on retail units right now. If someone had the retail keys (the ones Nintendo use to sign software for the 3DS), sure the tool could sign CXIs for retail 3DS consoles. But no one does, and no one is likely to. And even if they could, retail units have no way of loading CXIs, so regardless of whether it was signed or not, it couldn't be run.

As well as all this, neimod has posted that the CXIs made with the tool aren't "right". Presumably his analysis of the posted CXI (testing it on a console? who knows...) has shown it is not valid. His exact words are:

This application may not generate completely perfect files yet.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lucky people who have dev units can test this or play around with it, right?
Not really. The devkit format is not synonymous to the original cartridge format as it is signed differently - it's like saying that people with devkits can enjoy loading .3ds ROM's nowadays - they cannot.
But.... it says this. If someone has access to the requirements below then yeah they could.

To use this tool, proper keys need to be supplied. For developer-unit keys, you need to be an official Nintendo 3DS developer, and have access to the official Nintendo 3DS SDK. For retail-unit keys, don't even bother.

This tool is practically for developer-units only

It's a matter of time, keys need to leaked. Who knows how long it will take.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: anybody here?