Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

Kwagsyre

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done all the troubleshooting. For my issue, I don't think it's a problem with your codes. I just don't think Nitrohax supports codes that are as long as these. I could be wrong about that as I don't have any other codes that are 300+ lines long to test with tho.

Switching topic from troubleshooting tho, is it possible to make these codes for 3ds games too? I know AR codes can be loaded into 3ds games using Rosalina, and some 3ds games could really use the extra buttons from the n3ds especially to map touch screen controls. Like assigning the I and II item slots in OoT 3d to ZR and ZL or ZR + X and ZR + Y (MM 3d doesn't *really* need this as the major MM 3d mods already have this built in. Wouldn't hurt tho as some people may want to play with just this remapping and not any other mods), and assigning the aiming on the touch screen in Kid Icarus to the c stick (or gyro or both).

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is looking for a wacky project to do for RTCom w/ TWPatcher, there's an obscure DS game called Tony Hawk's Motion that used a crappy GBA cartridge with a gyroscope in it. I haven't looked much into it myself but it might be an interesting challenge for the technically inclined to get this working with the 3DS Gyroscope. Patching out the Motion Pak detection shouldn't be too hard.

_fab999_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here

This is most certainly my bug. Not surprisingly, as I don't really play these. I'll try to fix it soon.

If I remember correctly, it should only be the first 512 bytes of the rom (its header). Otherwise it would be too performance heavy. Although it doesn't matter in this case, it also theoretically means that two slightly different roms may share the exact same checksum

It's fine. Sometimes things just don't work the way we want them to. At least, I have no idea why it happens

Essentially there are two possible reasons for this white screen. First, as it's been said in the troubleshooting section, you haven't patched the TwlFirm (or you have, but TwilightMenu swaps it with an unpatched one). Second, the game just crashes for any imaginable reason (it's obviously caused by my patch, but I have no way to know why and how to fix it). I would suggest you to check if at least widescreen patches work for you (they also require patched TwlFirm, and if they don't function properly, mine won't either)

Okay, I'll look into it once I have my free time

As usual, R4CCE
Thank you so much for helping me out once again.
I have a weird bug in Metroid Prime Hunter (Rev. 1 - USA), regardless of the version of the patch used (mine or any of yours; I attach the one I use below for you to try to reproduce - it uses A+Dpad down for gyro enabling + c-stick inverted):
If the gyro is activated, the camera will go crazy and spin around endlessly (or drift down), but only on a new 3DSXL!!
All is fine on my smol n3ds and I have done an exact clone of all the files from my smol to the XL (TWMenu folders are same)

So is the gyro feature not supposed to work on the XL for MPH or should something be changed on the patch code?
I doubt both guesses but I can confirm the gyro on my XL unit is fully functional in other games (RE Revelations for instance)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Fab, big fan of your work ;)
PS: So, since yesterday, I went high and low to tackle my gyro issue in MPH. I disabled rehid and even deleted it all together, recalibrated gyro multiple times but the issue is still present.
If someone with a n3dsxl can reproduce based on the attached file or provide one that is known to work with gyro on xl consoles, I would be very grateful

Post automatically merged:

Im not sure if anyone else has been having this issue but Ive been playing through metroid prime hunters again on my new 3ds xl with the mod using analogue movement, gyro, c-stick, etc. and the analogue movement is proving to be rather buggy. In exploration its absolutely perfect, but when in battle with another bounty hunter or guardian the analogue stick controls both the bounty hunter and samus at the same time. The fight will go on as normal when standing still but if I walk in circles the enemy will stop whatever its doing and also move in circles, it can be kinda funny when theres 3 or so guardians in the same room as theyll all just spin at the same time which kinda messes with the ai and in turn I end up needing to use the d-pad. You can also move in cutscenes with it. Could there be another variation of the cheat where it includes gyro and c-stick input but uses the default 8 input thumbstick? Im using a dumped AMHP version of the game and if needed I can dump my AMHE version and try the mod on there to see if I get different results. I can also provide videos if wanted.
I can confirm same behaviour on my side when the mod is activated, for the guardians behavior at least

Attachments

• usrcheat.zip
    33.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by _fab999_,
Reactions: emcintosh

2mono7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (USA) with the D-Pad patch, I have no issues with the CPad patch (both the analog movement and the L + R + Down combination work); I am on a New 3DS with Luma3DS v13.0.2, TWiLightMenu v26.7.0 + nds-bootstrap v1.3.2, and TWPatch at 2023/07/22 build.
The CRC32 of the clean USA ROM for the D-Pad patch is 3170189F, and the GameID of the D-Pad patched ROM is BKIE-5818C636, check that yours match with these.
And be sure that the cheat of the CPad patch is active, obviously.
So, I have been reading up on all of this and have gotten to this point. I have already corrected the cheat's checksum to my specific rom (with the Dpad patch). The cheat appears in the cheats list and activates as it should. However, when I finally get to use the C stick it still acts as if it were the Dpad. Pressing the L+R+DOWN thing only unbinds my C stick. Doing the combo again only rebinds the C stick to the Dpad. I literally am going insane trying to get this thing to work and just want some ideas on why the 360 cheat doesn't function as its supposed to. Btw phantom hourglass works flawlessly using this exact same method but I just can't seem to get spirit tracks to work.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a weird bug in Metroid Prime Hunter… If the gyro is activated, the camera will go crazy and spin around endlessly (or drift down), but only on a new 3DSXL!!
All is fine on my smol n3ds and I have done an exact clone of all the files from my smol to the XL
I had this problem, and Shoco looked into it but was unable to fix it. Their best guess was that the gyro hardware in my European n3DS XL was a different revision from theirs. You can search for my posts on this thread for the test to ID the gyroscope and the attempted fix.

_fab999_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had this problem, and Shoco looked into it but was unable to fix it. Their best guess was that the gyro hardware in my European n3DS XL was a different revision from theirs. You can search for my posts on this thread for the test to ID the gyroscope and the attempted fix.
Will definitely try and look out for this.
This thing is driving me nuts and indeed , I now think it is hardware related.
Did you manage to fix it in your case?

For those who have the non-working gyroscope, perhaps this is the reason (read the last point).

@2mono7, I have no more ideas in regard of this problem, I've already said all I could say during the discussion with Keefe29.
Will have a look at this as well. Thanks 🙏

So i went ahead and tried everything from your posts in this thread:
the patch for MPH with your controls (switched sticks) and a different ID for gyro, the alternative gbarunner2 dll from the post above, any combinations of those things and my previous patch and dll---> nothing works, my gyro is still spinning like crazy in game.
But at least, I understand the cause and I guess there is no way to fix it , if I read the post above about non-working gyro correctly.

One last thing is that I tried the gyro_test.nds app and my results were exactly same as yours. So did you manage to get the gyro working on your n3dsxl for MPH and if yes, would you mind sharing here your usercheat.dat?

Last edited by _fab999_,

2mono7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've added the shoco's Circle Pad patches (update 2023-12-28) to the DeadSkullzJr's NDS(i) Cheat Database (update 12/25/2023). I hope that I haven't done any mistake.
Thanks go to @shoco and @DeadSkullzJr.
Turns out the solution was right under my nose. It appears that this updated folder had a functional Spirit Tracks C-Stick cheat than the one provided first provided by shoco which worked for me. I have nothing else to say but that I am grateful for you tech savy guys helping us out to play these classics again.

Reactions: Vendicatorealato

NineKain

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Has anyone converted these mods for emulators like melonDS? I'd personally love DQIX but I dont know anything about coding :(

devpz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having problems with lego batman 1. It just freezes on a black screen when launching. I tried everything that the troubleshooting section said, but nothing worked. Any advice?(from anyone)

I've been having problems with lego batman 1. It just freezes on a black screen when launching. I tried everything that the troubleshooting section said, but nothing worked. Any advice?(from anyone)
I am also thinking it might be a region issue. I have a japanese new 3ds ll and it is region swapped. I am using a U.S copy of the game (dumped).

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
hellooo, it's me again XD Are you still doing requests? Cuz I was wondering if you are able to do a dual analog hack for Tak the Great Juju Challenge. You can control the camera with the touchscreen so I was wondering if this was possible. Thanks if you can
Done

Im not sure if anyone else has been having this issue but Ive been playing through metroid prime hunters again on my new 3ds xl with the mod using analogue movement, gyro, c-stick, etc. and the analogue movement is proving to be rather buggy. In exploration its absolutely perfect, but when in battle with another bounty hunter or guardian the analogue stick controls both the bounty hunter and samus at the same time. The fight will go on as normal when standing still but if I walk in circles the enemy will stop whatever its doing and also move in circles, it can be kinda funny when theres 3 or so guardians in the same room as theyll all just spin at the same time which kinda messes with the ai and in turn I end up needing to use the d-pad. You can also move in cutscenes with it. Could there be another variation of the cheat where it includes gyro and c-stick input but uses the default 8 input thumbstick? Im using a dumped AMHP version of the game and if needed I can dump my AMHE version and try the mod on there to see if I get different results. I can also provide videos if wanted.
I've fixed the issue. Also now you can't control Samus during cutscenes. Let's just hope I didn't break anything useful.

So can Sonic Chronicles get a circle pad patch now? @shoco
Sure, I'll add it to my list of unfinished projects

I've done all the troubleshooting. For my issue, I don't think it's a problem with your codes. I just don't think Nitrohax supports codes that are as long as these. I could be wrong about that as I don't have any other codes that are 300+ lines long to test with tho.
I can easily believe that the issue is in the size of the cheat codes. It's not a problem for `nds-bootstrap`, but may be for other programs or devices that implement the cheat engine functionality differently (as usual I am not familiar with any of that).

But you can easily check if your Nitrohax supports large cheats. Just take some valid cheat code, and pad it with a benign AR instruction that doesn't do anything useful. Or even simpler, copy/paste the same one-line cheat code multiple times. For example, this is a cheat code for infinite lives in SM64DS (USA v1.0): `020973EC 00000063`. It simply writes `0x63` (max number of lives, I presume) into the address `0x20973EC`, 60 (or 30) times per second. You can turn it into this (repeat the same line as many times as you need):
Code:
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063

Switching topic from troubleshooting tho, is it possible to make these codes for 3ds games too? I know AR codes can be loaded into 3ds games using Rosalina, and some 3ds games could really use the extra buttons from the n3ds especially to map touch screen controls. Like assigning the I and II item slots in OoT 3d to ZR and ZL or ZR + X and ZR + Y (MM 3d doesn't *really* need this as the major MM 3d mods already have this built in. Wouldn't hurt tho as some people may want to play with just this remapping and not any other mods), and assigning the aiming on the touch screen in Kid Icarus to the c stick (or gyro or both).
I have literally zero experience with 3DS outside of DS emulation, but presumably everything is possible if you have access to the code. You just need to find someone to do it.
I think there was a homebrew app that allowed you to remap the touchscreen to keys (Rehid), but I've never used it.

If anyone is looking for a wacky project to do for RTCom w/ TWPatcher, there's an obscure DS game called Tony Hawk's Motion that used a crappy GBA cartridge with a gyroscope in it. I haven't looked much into it myself but it might be an interesting challenge for the technically inclined to get this working with the 3DS Gyroscope. Patching out the Motion Pak detection shouldn't be too hard.
That one sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe I'll even look into it some day, although I'm quite bad with DS reverse engineering except for this trivial controls patching stuff.
There is one serious problem with gyroscopes though. There are several versions of them. From my knowledge, O3DS and N3DS should have different gyros, and both are different from the one in N3DSXL (at least for some people; maybe it depends on the region, I don't know). They all have different interfacing requirements to communicate with them. So one should not only know how to work with gyros, but also find a way to test the patch on multiple devices.

is it possible to use c-stick instead of ABXY for aiming in DSiWare game Dracula: Undead Awakening?
You can map ABXY to CStick with the remapper

Is there a tutorial on how to create the codes? I have tried to understand the program but it makes no sense, lol
By "create" you mean like I do these mods? Then there is none. You just do some reverse engineering here and there

One last thing is that I tried the gyro_test.nds app and my results were exactly same as yours. So did you manage to get the gyro working on your n3dsxl for MPH and if yes, would you mind sharing here your usercheat.dat?
Sadly, there is no fix. To implement the gyro functionality I simply copied gericom's (I think) code (the author of GBARunner2). But it works only with one type of gyros. I can't add support for others for two reasons. Firstly, I know very little about gyroscopes. Secondly, I have no console except N2DSXL (which has the "correct" gyro and is working absolutely fine currently) to test it. I guess the first part is at least solvable

Turns out the solution was right under my nose. It appears that this updated folder had a functional Spirit Tracks C-Stick cheat than the one provided first provided by shoco which worked for me. I have nothing else to say but that I am grateful for you tech savy guys helping us out to play these classics again.
Interesting. I remember I actually updated the mod in October (fixed a bug), but maybe I also broke something. I'll need to check it. Also it would be nice if someone else could test it. Anyway, I'm glad you eventually made it work.

All I can only say is that it looks like the usual problem described in the troubleshooting section. I.e. you didn't use TWPatcher, or you did but TwilightMenu replaces the patched TwlBg when you launch the game, etc. Something like that. It's the only thing I can think of. If nothing works, at least try some other my mods if you can, or check widescreen patches (they also require TWPatcher and won't work if something's wrong)

Is there any possibility i could get indiviual codes for star fox for the different aerial manuevers, like the barrel roll and the flips? I'd like to play on pc but the old dpad code is severely lacking and the one here can't be used on pc :/
Here is the same cheat code except with the dpad support, but it should be the same as the old dpad cheatcode except for barrel rolls.
If you're playing on an emulator, I think you can use something like `autohotkey` to map keyboard buttons to the touchscreen of your emulator

Attachments

• star_fox_dpad_mod.zip
    2 KB · Views: 6

mario4everd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done

I've fixed the issue. Also now you can't control Samus during cutscenes. Let's just hope I didn't break anything useful.

I can easily believe that the issue is in the size of the cheat codes. It's not a problem for `nds-bootstrap`, but may be for other programs or devices that implement the cheat engine functionality differently (as usual I am not familiar with any of that).

But you can easily check if your Nitrohax supports large cheats. Just take some valid cheat code, and pad it with a benign AR instruction that doesn't do anything useful. Or even simpler, copy/paste the same one-line cheat code multiple times. For example, this is a cheat code for infinite lives in SM64DS (USA v1.0): `020973EC 00000063`. It simply writes `0x63` (max number of lives, I presume) into the address `0x20973EC`, 60 (or 30) times per second. You can turn it into this (repeat the same line as many times as you need):
Code:
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063

I have literally zero experience with 3DS outside of DS emulation, but presumably everything is possible if you have access to the code. You just need to find someone to do it.
I think there was a homebrew app that allowed you to remap the touchscreen to keys (Rehid), but I've never used it.

That one sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe I'll even look into it some day, although I'm quite bad with DS reverse engineering except for this trivial controls patching stuff.
There is one serious problem with gyroscopes though. There are several versions of them. From my knowledge, O3DS and N3DS should have different gyros, and both are different from the one in N3DSXL (at least for some people; maybe it depends on the region, I don't know). They all have different interfacing requirements to communicate with them. So one should not only know how to work with gyros, but also find a way to test the patch on multiple devices.

By "create" you mean like I do these mods? Then there is none. You just do some reverse engineering here and there

Sadly, there is no fix. To implement the gyro functionality I simply copied gericom's (I think) code (the author of GBARunner2). But it works only with one type of gyros. I can't add support for others for two reasons. Firstly, I know very little about gyroscopes. Secondly, I have no console except N2DSXL (which has the "correct" gyro and is working absolutely fine currently) to test it. I guess the first part is at least solvable

Interesting. I remember I actually updated the mod in October (fixed a bug), but maybe I also broke something. I'll need to check it. Also it would be nice if someone else could test it. Anyway, I'm glad you eventually made it work.

All I can only say is that it looks like the usual problem described in the troubleshooting section. I.e. you didn't use TWPatcher, or you did but TwilightMenu replaces the patched TwlBg when you launch the game, etc. Something like that. It's the only thing I can think of. If nothing works, at least try some other my mods if you can, or check widescreen patches (they also require TWPatcher and won't work if something's wrong)

Here is the same cheat code except with the dpad support, but it should be the same as the old dpad cheatcode except for barrel rolls.
If you're playing on an emulator, I think you can use something like `autohotkey` to map keyboard buttons to the touchscreen of your emulator

Done

Code:
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063
020973EC 00000063

Thank you so much! I'm always so appreciative of you handling all these requests for people for even these small odd games. You're doing the ds/3ds Community a huge favor ^w^

Reactions: shoco

something9728

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it out and most games work...but for some odd reason super .Mario 64 ds doesn't? I've check and i have did everything correctly. Or unless I'm missing some steps for mario.

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I've tried it out and most games work...but for some odd reason super .Mario 64 ds doesn't? I've check and i have did everything correctly. Or unless I'm missing some steps for mario.
Check out the first clause in the troubleshooting section (about widescreen stuff). It can be that your other tested games simply don't have widescreen patches, and so TwilightMenu won't try to swap TwlBg for them. On the other hand, SM64DS certainly supports them, which causes your problem to appear. At least, that's the only thing I can think of

Master-Killua

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Somehow the C-stick doesn't work with the games I'm playing (KH 358/2 Days and SM64). I'm using the last TWL menu, bootstrap and twlpatcher.
EDIT: I had to enable the Camera cheat code. I thought it was enabled for default.

Last edited by Master-Killua,

Readmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks mods have custom button configurations to make the sword swing with B?

How do I get the best experience possible. I want B to slash, A to talk/open and roll, X and Y to do something. Maybe one of them can open the map. And the C-Pad to control movement. What can I do to achieve all of that? I tried combining this code with the D-Pad mod but X and Y don't do anything.

Last edited by Readmit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game