Chrono Trigger Available Now on PC

Chrono_Trigger_logo.png

Chrono Trigger, one of the most highly rated SNES RPGs to date, is now available on PC! Featuring graphical and sound updates, along with a new autosave feature, this PC release is considered to be the "Definitive Edition" of Chrono Trigger. For those that already own the game on iOS or Android, the app will also receive the graphical and sound upgrades as well in an update!

• Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious ‘Dimensional Vortex’ dungeon and the forgotten ‘Lost Sanctum’ dungeon that first appeared in the DS and mobile releases
  • Updated Graphics and Sound – While keeping the atmosphere of the original, featuring enhanced visuals designed for modern PCs and remastered soundtrack under the supervision of original composer Yasunori Mitsuda
  • Updated Controls - Optimised PC experience that supports both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration
  • New Autosave Feature - Automatically saves while still featuring the original title’s Save Point function
  • CHRONO TRIGGER Limited Edition - Those that purchase the STEAM version until 2nd April 2018 will receive the following digital bonuses for free:
    • An enchanting and specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs: ‘Far Off Promise’, ‘Wind Scene’, ‘Battle with Magus’, ‘Corridors of Time’, and ‘Chrono Trigger’
    • Composer Yasunori Mitsuda’s digital liner notes
    • A collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes

:arrow: Source: GBATemp Inbox
:arrow: Steam Page

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame on me, I never played Chrono Trigger before... what's the best version, DS?
The DS version is the best. To explain the order, SNES was the original.
PS1 took the SNES version and added FMVs as well as a few adjustments, but otherwise no new content.
The DS version took the PS1 version, added some more adjustments, touch controls, and new dungeons and content.
The Android/iOS versions just took the DS version, took out the separate touch screen to place everything on the same screen, and even then did a terrible job with the interface, but ultimately they didn't add anything new that you couldn't get from the DS version.
This PC release is just the Android/iOS port, ported to PC. No new content, same terrible interface with a hook for keyboard/controllers, translating the input from those to what would have been for the mobile version.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 took the SNES version and added FMVs as well as a few adjustments, but otherwise no new content.
The DS version took the PS1 version, added some more adjustments, touch controls, and new dungeons and content.
The Android/iOS versions just took the DS version, took out the separate touch screen to place everything on the same screen, and even then did a terrible job with the interface, but ultimately they didn't add anything new that you couldn't get from the DS version.
This PC release is just the Android/iOS port, ported to PC. No new content, same terrible interface with a hook for keyboard/controllers, translating the input from those to what would have been for the mobile version.

Not to mention butchered graphics, bad UI, touch controls intact, yeah, they really screwed the pooch. I hope they pull the game off, fix it, and then rerelease it.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix is now a cash grab company of shitty ports of shitty ports and episodic hitman and final fantasy releases.
chrono trigger was a game people were proud to own but just go steal it now

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix is now a cash grab company of shitty ports of shitty ports and episodic hitman and final fantasy releases.
chrono trigger was a game people were proud to own but just go steal it now
They've gone from making a ton of great content to mediocre content filled with MicroTransactions. When was SE secretly bought out by EA?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say the SNES actually.... The DS version was obviously a lower resolution due to the screens, so didn't look as good, and despite being 'better' (as in, more faithful to the Japanese game) the translation wasn't as good. And we lost olde world Frog speyk!
The PS1 version had intrusive loading times, and even a few graphic effects changed, but yeah the loading times, coming from the SNES version, killed that port off.

Anyway, this port? ...Yeah I'll pass! ;)

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've gone from making a ton of great content to mediocre content filled with MicroTransactions. When was SE secretly bought out by EA?

they usually butcher the music in the ports too. secret of mana is a mess from what ive seen on game streams

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the SNES actually.... The DS version was obviously a lower resolution due to the screens, so didn't look as good, and despite being 'better' (as in, more faithful to the Japanese game) the translation wasn't as good. And we lost olde world Frog speyk!
The PS1 version had intrusive loading times, and even a few graphic effects changed, but yeah the loading times, coming from the SNES version, killed that port off.

I agree with you on the lower resolution, and I did love Frog's olde dialogue, but I still say the DS version is the best solely because of the non-intrusive controls, aka the DS touch screen, and the new content added in that wasn't in the previous releases. Everything after that was a step backwards in quality. They didn't even try to add new content to the game. Just packaged it with other stuff that you could put on your desktop, like wallpapers.

If I had to pick between all releases, I'd go with DS first, and SNES second. At least the SNES version can be played on emulators on PC and consoles. Even better is some emulators can use Retro Achievements, like RetroArch. Better yet, RA has more achievements for Chrono Trigger than Steam.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh goody. Fan favorites being lazily ported just for a quick buck. Regretting my purchase of SoM..

Even that had more effort into it than this pile of trash.

Frog's weird speech wasn't in the Japanese version either, he spoke more colloquially and had more of a tougher demeanor. IMO, the Ye Olde English felt weird and forced.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 took the SNES version and added FMVs as well as a few adjustments, but otherwise no new content. It added unlockable content through each ending VIA universal system file.

Shame on me, I never played Chrono Trigger before... what's the best version, DS?
Play the NDS one, the psx and snes is also great but the NDS is most complete with all the icing on the cake.

The original was SNES, 4MB rom cart. The Playstation version, sold with Final fantasy 4 as a collection bundle is also good. It added Anime cutscenes by the same studio of Dragonball series.

P Unlocking each of the endings saves a system file that unlocks that extra content like a music player to listen to music in the game, cutscene viewer to watch the videos, and some extra guides like maps, and bestiary. So it was more worth it to play through the game again to see the endings and unlock the stuff rather than just experience more story.

latest

The nintendo DS version tops it by adding all the playstation content and more. Gameplay wise, it adds more extra dungeons, more bonus weapons that do way better than others and extra ending. It also has a updated translation not done by the original localizer cause he left the company before this release, and new arena mini game that you can play alone or with friends to gain some good items. The touch screen enhancement also helps cause it keeps the small screens of the NDS clear of clutter like all those HUD and status bar icons on touch screen during battle, and a map along with shortcuts for accessing menus. So it's considered the best by many for actually putting some work into improving the gameplay rather than just tweak a few things and get a exact duplicate gameplay wise. (also you can play Final Fantasy 4 on NDS as well, also just a better improved game, having voice acting, 3D character models and a map, but the Final Fantasy Complete collection on PSP is probably a better option cause it has more to offer with the sequel game being part of the purchase) In cause you was wondering.

If you can't find the NDS game which may be hard without offering a decent amount of money, the psx is playable for $10 on playstation network which is a close second but with loading times (as it is disc system is kinda ruined by that alone)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: suzsuzuki

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it and this is possibly the worst port ever to exist on any platform. It's a stuttery mess. The tiles look like they don't correctly match up either, and you're forced to use widescreen in full screen.

Z

zeropain

Only played the SNES version which i enjoyed. The only other version which i would play is the NDS one. It seems like that you can just forget the rest.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The DS has a lower resolution, but the graphics is NOT squished. Sprites are pixel perfect and crisp, just that the camera scrolls a bit more when moving around.

Ds is best version

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi