FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sections get added
a) When it is obvious, new console from any of the big makers for instance.
b) Threads overflow the other more general areas.

There is the groups option these days as well -- members can make their own groups for whatever purposes they so deem (obviously with the greater rules of the site though). If that gets popular then turning it into a general forum might be something considered.
Prior to that it might also be seen if such things could maintain a sticky thread and it either outgrow it or find everybody talking past each other/holding 10 different conversations within it.

They have been around for a while now and we are not getting flooded with threads. Most of anything that happens is people wanting hardware help (which is mostly general laptop type help), inheriting one from somewhere and wondering if they can replace the OS with something useful, or getting one for school purposes and wanting to hack it to not be locked down.
Game wise there are not many exclusives to it, does not have the best/notably good options for much of anything, it is not really a good way to get into android either generally or compared to the various virtual machines running around the place and otherwise does not have much else going for it until you replace the OS with something more mainstream. To that end you are mostly limited to browser games, the few companies wanting to be big fish in a small pond (quite lucrative for some, you don't have to compete with the big boys and get a whole bunch of usually tech illiterates wanting to get something, anything rather than write it off as a complete waste) and whatever half arsed efforts from some companies to port an android game or encapsulate a browser one.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I have a Chromebook and it's great for its purposes (word processing, browsing the internet, listening to music, watching videos, communication, etc. etc.), but gaming has never even entered my mind as something I should even be attempting on my chromebook. Plus, the kinds of apps ChromeOS can run are going to be Android-based anyway, so if you're looking for a section that covers games the likes of a Chromebook can run to begin with, then you might as well just explore the Smartphones, Tablets, & Handhelds section.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried going the Chromebook route, ended up returning it for a refund and bought a Windows notebook because I thought: "Chromebook is just an Android laptop!" except it wasn't and it was very restrictive and limited.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK Chromebook gaming is generally limited to Android or web games, although efforts have been made to improve this such as running Steam through the Linux ‘emulator’ and potential Chromebooks with dGPUs.

I’ve never looked deeply into these though since I don’t use Chromebooks and quite frankly see mid-high end Chromebooks as a bit of a waste considering the platforms limitations, unless you MUST use Chrome OS for whatever reason.

As for OPs question, I think for now the generic PC section is enough, unless things change.

VoidStarbreakYT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sections get added
a) When it is obvious, new console from any of the big makers for instance.
b) Threads overflow the other more general areas.

There is the groups option these days as well -- members can make their own groups for whatever purposes they so deem (obviously with the greater rules of the site though). If that gets popular then turning it into a general forum might be something considered.
Prior to that it might also be seen if such things could maintain a sticky thread and it either outgrow it or find everybody talking past each other/holding 10 different conversations within it.

They have been around for a while now and we are not getting flooded with threads. Most of anything that happens is people wanting hardware help (which is mostly general laptop type help), inheriting one from somewhere and wondering if they can replace the OS with something useful, or getting one for school purposes and wanting to hack it to not be locked down.
Game wise there are not many exclusives to it, does not have the best/notably good options for much of anything, it is not really a good way to get into android either generally or compared to the various virtual machines running around the place and otherwise does not have much else going for it until you replace the OS with something more mainstream. To that end you are mostly limited to browser games, the few companies wanting to be big fish in a small pond (quite lucrative for some, you don't have to compete with the big boys and get a whole bunch of usually tech illiterates wanting to get something, anything rather than write it off as a complete waste) and whatever half arsed efforts from some companies to port an android game or encapsulate a browser one.

do your fingers hurt? from all that typing?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Similar suggestions have been made for every different form of Computer, such as a suggestion for Steam Decks and similar devices. The issue is that there's really no reason to include them outside of the PC or Android sections. A Chromebook is still a computer/PC, it's not something different like a Switch from 3DS. If you want something dedicated, try joining/making a group for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/